Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure you all have seen my post about looking at new bike tonight. Well, that was my first ride on a Goldwing. (had a Yamaha 1100 for a few years) All I can say is wow! Once I got it out on the road, I couldnt believe the ride, its so different then my Vstar, in a great way. But, getting it out of the garage was a treat. The seat height really scares me. Sitting on the bike, I can barely touch my toes on the ground. I know this is something I would probably get used to. But I was wondering if there is an easy way to get the seat height any lower?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
i've heard of lowering kits for 1800 wings but i'm no fan of them on any bike because lowering the bike reduces ground clearance. if it were me i would get a new lower seat

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can take the seat to an upholstery shop and have them cut out some foam and replace it with a piece of memory foam that is lower or you can buy an after market seat that is make to fit you or you can check out this site, look at the wing soft small. You can buy lowering blocks for the bike but then you lose ground clearance.
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/GL1800 Seats Main Page/GL1800 Seats Main Page.htm

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldnt lower the bike right now. I was hoping doing something with the seat would help, and it sounds like it would. Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
BD the other thing you can do is get the tall soled riding boots. Lots of guys use them.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I have a 29 inseam and I can touch the ground with my Wing. What do you have the suspension set at? I ride alone at 10 and 2 up at 35.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 29 inseam and I can touch the ground with my Wing. What do you have the suspension set at? I ride alone at 10 and 2 up at 35.
I dont know what it was set at. I just test drove it, and dont know a heck of a lot about wings.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
The controls for the suspension are on the right. Check the book and you will see how to adjust the settings. That may be your problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My 30" inseam gets along fine with the Wing. My boots have a little thicker soles than most, and I ride with the rear suspension set at 5 to 10 with 1 up. With these two considerations I can easily get my heals on the ground. If it is a used Wing, you should also check the tire size, as some people use a size larger tire.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The controls for the suspension are on the right. Check the book and you will see how to adjust the settings. That may be your problem.

The controls are on the left as sitting on the bike.

I keep mine set at 8 solo and 15-20 2 up and 25+ loaded.
I have to use thick sole boots. Once ya get use to the bike it becomes rather easy. Almost always have a problem getting my feet on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
The controls are on the left as sitting on the bike.
I stand corrected. Shows how long it's been since I've been on the Wing. This Winter weather has to stop soon... Thanks for the correction...

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I put on a car tire: Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16 82H

and it lowered the bike 3/4 of an inch. I can stand flat footed on both sides of the bike now.

The radial tire in the back has not killed the bias ply tire in the front, yet! 3000 miles and they seem to be getting along ok.

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
The seat height on the 1200s was higher. The 1500 was lower, and was lowered more in 1994, if memory serves correctly. ( IF being the key word! ;) )

·
Registered
691 Posts
Big daddy
I too had an xs1100. I still rate it as one of the best. Had a Hang Two seat on it. It was well ballanced and smooth. Fast as he##!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts