Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed on today, not because I have a Goldwing, but I intend to purchase one in the very near future. My question: My concern is I am only 5'-7". I was able to lower my Royal Star Tour Deluxe to become flat footed on pavement. I'm sure there are many wing riders out there who are my height that might have suggestions, and it would be appreciated. I'm concerned when I am riding two up which is the reason for the Goldwing in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
mm,

Welcome to GWOF. You will get alot of good info and just a little BS to keep it interesting. Others have and will help you with this but we will need a little more info.
Are buying and new one or a used one?

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pa. Hope you find the Wing of your dreams.

Im 5'9" tall and have a 29" inseam and I can plant my feet flat when stoped unless I have the suspension all the way up. I look through the windscreen not over, although if I stretch the neck a little I can see over.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome. I am an inch taller than you and I am very comfortable on my Wing. The first couple of years I rode with the suspension level from 0 when riding solo to 8 when riding 2 up. After reading some posts from guys who ride on 25 all of the time for maximum comfort and smoothness and all the rest; that's what I ride mine on now. I think it has to do with getting more comfortable with the big bike - then after a while of riding with her - you can ride her high up and be just as comfy (even at red lights). In fact, I find that when riding 2 up now, I am lower at the 25 position because of the extra weight. I do a lot of highway riding and the 25 level smooths out those sudden bumps in the road.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am 5'8" I was concerned with being flat footed at stops after putting in new air shocks and it was just a matter of keeping the right amount of air in them!! 2 up I have about 60 pressure and alone about 35/40 pressure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just signed on today, not because I have a Goldwing, but I intend to purchase one in the very near future. My question: My concern is I am only 5'-7". I was able to lower my Royal Star Tour Deluxe to become flat footed on pavement. I'm sure there are many wing riders out there who are my height that might have suggestions, and it would be appreciated. I'm concerned when I am riding two up which is the reason for the Goldwing in the first place.
You could try the lowering kit for the 1800. It helps greatly as long as it is used as it is designed. Don't get it if you are even close to overloading your Wing now. Best of luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 5'7, ride two up, and have no problems at all with being flat footed at stops. Sometimes I need to move forward on the seat a tad to get my feet flat, but it has never been an issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to our world....Goldwings that is...it is still good riding here in Georgia.....
I am 5'7", a 8" inseam, and I keep my preload at it's lowest and I can just about put my feed down flat, but not quite. I sometimes seem to have trouble when I come to a stop, riding by myself, but I think it is my own problems with balance, not the bike.
For some reason riding double, I do not have as much problem???? Practice, practice, practice they say, but you should not have any problems.
I did not know about the 1800 lowering kit, but I am going to check it out right now.
Again...welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am also 5'7" and wear my engineer boots when riding two up. However, I would still like to be closer to the ground and be able to wear my regular ankle boots instead of the bulky engineer boots with the two inch heels. Just today, I took my Wing to Brian Snyder at A Sweet Seat in St. Petersburg, Fl. His web site is asweetseat.com. Brian is going to adjust my seat and get my feet closer to the ground by 1.5-2 inches. He does this with his premium foam density padding, by moving my position forward on the seat by adjusting my back positioning and by adjusting the sides of the seats so my legs hand down further. He fitted me this AM and will be modifying it next week. He is also going to refoam my wife's seat to make it even more comfortable. Brian offers a one-year no questions asked guarantee to deliver what you want. Tell him Russ told you about him and let him explain how he does this. My goal is to have my Wing feel like my 1300 VTX does and I am certain we will get this result.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome to our world....Goldwings that is...it is still good riding here in Georgia.....
I am 5'7", a 8" inseam, and I keep my preload at it's lowest and I can just about put my feed down flat, but not quite. I sometimes seem to have trouble when I come to a stop, riding by myself, but I think it is my own problems with balance, not the bike.
For some reason riding double, I do not have as much problem???? Practice, practice, practice they say, but you should not have any problems.
I did not know about the 1800 lowering kit, but I am going to check it out right now.
Again...welcome to the board!!
Gosh you have short legs, how can you possibly reach the gear/brake pedals?

I know a typo

I am 5'7" and my short legs held me back from getting a Goldwing for many years. Last April I went ahead and purchased 1.
At first it was a real challenge for me, especially when 2 up. Then I realized almost all my bikes I have had through the years were about the same way for me. The handle bar reach was good but when stopped. I run my shocks on 15 all the time unless on a trip then it's on 20.
I just lean forward some on the seat when I stop and that is the best thing to do. 1 other thing you need to make sure you look up not down when stopping. This is the biggest help I can offer.
I have been riding bikes for a few minutes now and when I ride I wear boots period. I use only lug sole boots they have a thick sole and it really helps some.
I now have 10,000 miles on my 2010 GW and think why did I wait so long. Unbelievable touring machine it is.

If ya can rent 1 first go for it if not just remember it is a very well balanced bike. I had been riding a Ultra Classic for several years. My daughter took my wife and I to Chattanooga to pick up the bike. When we were stating leave I almost threw it on the ground because it was so easy to get off the side stand. I could not believe it. I am still amazed how well balanced they are.

dd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts