Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I leave in two weeks for a 2800 mile trip on the bike...I hurt my back the other day lifting 100 lbs of Horse feed...the back will heal but I know the 800 mile days will kill me while in the saddle....

Been looking at the bead and air hawk seat cushions...
(link: http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1800/312_goldwing_Seats_Covers/des/?page=2) (towards the end of the page)

Question:

1) If you have the bead cushion...give me your thoughts

2) If you have the air hawk air cushion...give me your thoughts...do they hold up...

3) Does any one have both...give me your thoughts

Safe Ride

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Mark...I purchased my 1800 a few months ago...After riding about 2000 miles I soon realized the stock seat was killing me...Several friends swore by the Airhawk..so I gave it a try...It definitely is better than the stock...the secret is not to get too much air in it...Alittle goes a long way!! After riding on this for awhile, I took it back off just to see what the stock felt like...It was like riding on a 2 X 4!! Its a nice way to go without spending big bucks on a total custom...I also put a Utopia back rest on which is fantastic for a bad back!!! Good Luck

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have the beads and a WalMart cushion. The beads worked great in the summer to get the air circulation, the Walmart cushion is the best $20.00 ever spent, most guys on other Gold Wing forums use it also. It is a waffel gel pad inside a nice cover, the only problem is that all WalMarts don't carry it. It is in automotive section by the seat cushions and covers. Some have found them in Big Lots.
(click on picture to enlarge)

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Honda makes Great Bikes but crappy seats. I got the Air Hawk for my 2010 Wing and I love it. As above, do not put too much air in it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the beads and a WalMart cushion. The beads worked great in the summer to get the air circulation, the Walmart cushion is the best $20.00 ever spent, most guys on other Gold Wing forums use it also. It is a waffel gel pad inside a nice cover, the only problem is that all WalMarts don't carry it. It is in automotive section by the seat cushions and covers. Some have found them in Big Lots.
(click on picture to enlarge)
BELIEVE EVERY WORD OF THIS... TWICE OVER.
ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT "BEST $20 I EVER SPENT."
If your legs are long enough, buy TWO and put both gel cushions in one cover (they fit just fine). Shop enough WalMarts and you'll find 'em.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.....will look at walmart....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mark
I am a big guy and needed cussion and hight. While in Vegas I picked up an Ortho Delux pad. It has a gel pad base with memory foam over it and topped off with a sheep skin cover. I LOVE IT. Good bye monkey rear.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i cannot find the walmart gelpads

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
+2 for the Walmart pads. Bought 2 of them. One for my 95 year old Mother to put on her rocking chair and one for me for the Wing. If the Walmart near you does not carry them, check their website. The may have them and can deliver to your local store and avoid shipping costs..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
+3 on the WalMart cushion! Also available @ Cost Co.
Gold Wing owners are making runs on the pads since they have been touted on another major web sight.
Just so everyone knows:
1. Yes they are gel pads. No, they don't contain a pocket of liquid gel.
The material the pad is molded with is a "gel" material.
2. Some have been found with the pad inserted upside down in the cover! The mesh part of the cover goes "up" as does the waffle pattern of the pad.
3. I place the carrying strap between the front of the seat and the shelter and tuck the rear of it under the riders "backrest" part of the seat. Stays put that way.
I have no meat on my bottom and one of these pads has made a lot of difference in riding comfort and the distance I can go before I need to get off!
A lot less money than an after market seat!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I dont find the seat on my 09 wing too bad. Try sitting on a ST1300 seat for an hour!!!! Pure torture.
I have a bead cushion for the wing and although I haven't really found that I need it it does work. As someone else mentioned it keeps air circulating so your butt keeps cool.
The only thing I dont like is that it leaves marks on the seat leather. I suppose I could put a liner underneath it?????

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just looked up the AirHawk seat... $189.00 is outrageous in my opionion. For that price it should massage you and give you a happy ending!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Comfort on the seat

I had a gel seat for a while on an ST1300 and hated it. It might cure high frequency buzz but it is not comfortable to sit on. What works for me is covering the seat with 1 inch of shearling wool. This works for passengers as well. It is comfortable as the wool is an inch thick. It is not hot in summer, nice in winter but probably awful in a good rain. I live in Arizona so being rained on isn't a first consideration.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Why not get an Ultimate seat? they're supposed to be the best. I know they're expensive . I might try one next year.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
"I dont find the seat on my 09 wing too bad. Try sitting on a ST1300 seat for an hour!!!!"
So true Snuffy. My ST lasted two months with the stock "joke" and a Corbin Dual Sport was on it. Not only comfortable, but was a huge selling point when the time came. I don't have too much complaint on my seat so far either, but for $20 I'd jump on the Wally cushion for sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+2 for the Walmart pads. Bought 2 of them. One for my 95 year old Mother to put on her rocking chair and one for me for the Wing. If the Walmart near you does not carry them, check their website. The may have them and can deliver to your local store and avoid shipping costs..
They are not listed on their website.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I went to the local walmart and they were in the automotive dept! I have a gel seat from saddleman and after seeing theres i feel like i wasted 100.00!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts