Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on a Goldwing (2008 model), rented one for the weekend in anticipation of purchasing a touring bike. Very nice bike but was very disappointed with the seat comfort. Initially made it 100 miles before I had to get off the bike, after that couldn’t go more than 50 miles without stopping. Even after stopping for the night, could only make it 50 miles at a time the next day. All the reviews I’ve seen always talk about how comfortable the bike is and how they hate to get off it. Am I the only one that finds the seat this uncomfortable? Can anything be done?

Could it be the seating position and I'm not used to it? I ride a cruiser with forward controls and can easily run through a full tank of gas (180 miles) without getting off.

Or I’m too tall for the bike? I'm 6'1" and 175 pounds and felt a little cramped for leg room.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
j_int

I would say that you have experienced something a friend of mine who has an 1800 did. His quote was "I feel like I'm sitting in a kitchen chair, I can't stretch out".

He just recently bought Iso Highway pegs & we just road this weekend about 500 miles & he only "had" to stop once & 200 miles were in rain. I understand about the forward controls thing because I used to ride Vulcan prior to Wing. I don't think your height is an issue I am 5'11" & my friend is 6'4" & his brother is 6'5" & they both have no trouble with them now that they have highway pegs.

As far as the seat goes, The guys with 1800's here say they have no problems. I have a Hartco seat on my 1500 & love it. I find that if I stretch out on H. pegs it does shift my butt in such a way that takes weight off tailbone.

When my wife & I ride by ourselves we stop when we fuel 200-220 miles depending on conditions.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: OkotoksSteve

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
First, welcome to the board. Did your rental have highway pegs? They do make a big difference in riding comfort. I'm only 5'9" so height is not a problem for me. I've only put 3K on my 09 Wing so the longest trip has been about 300 miles and I've not had a problem with the comfort of the stock seat. Not all bikes are made for all people, but if the bike did not have pegs give it another try..

·
Registered
179 Posts
j int, did the rental have a drivers backrest ? I don't care what anyone says or how strong your back is but those backrests are a godsend. You could have a 2x4 as a seat but the ride will still be good with the backrests. I'm 6'1' and I find the ride just perfect. I have ISO highway pegs but only use them for a little stretch of the legs every now and again. Lyndon

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... I'm 6'2" And 250 ... All Bikes Ride And Sit Different ... Just Took Some Seat Time To Get Used To The Seats ... I Do Have A Aftermarket Seat That Came On My Wing And After A Few Trips Things Got Better ... The Bike Still Has The Factory Flat Pegs And Have Markland Forward Boards For The Cruz And Stretch Time ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rental didn’t have highway pegs or a driver’s backrest (I think it was completely stock). I think the highway pegs would help; I thought about them while riding but didn’t think you’d be able to get your legs around the fairing/engine so I just assumed it wasn’t an option.

Not sure what to think of the backrest. The rental didn’t have one but when I sat tight against the step in the seat it seamed to put more forward pressure on “my seat”, which didn’t help with the discomfort. But maybe that’d be different with the higher support from a backrest???

Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds like its not a lost cause and I have a couple options to explore.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
j_int,

Now your talking, Poncho is right I love my backrest as well. My buddy that was having the issue also has one. Don't give up on the wing. With a little aftermarket goodies you will be stopping only when you need fuel.:D

"Come to the dark side Luke"

·
Registered
14 Posts
you actually have three positions

1) hiways pegs,
2) stock pegs,
3) your instep on the rear foot boards, it turn your wing into crotch rocket feel.

I did 6000 miles in 16 days pulling a bushtec with a very understanding wife.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seat Comfort / Leg Room

I know excatly what your feeling.I bought a 08 gl1800 this year and have put 5500 miles on it so far.After riding it for on the first long trip (aprox 400 miles) I thounght I wouldnt be able to ride it for any lengh of time again.Im 6'2" 210 lbs ,boney a-- and long legs.

I tried all kinds of pads,sheepshins,different types of highway pegs etc.I considered having a custom seat built but didnt have the $1000 + to jump into that right off.

What I ended up with currently and so far has been a huge improvment ( maybe the final solution) is the Kuryacan mini pegs with there foot pegs.They stick straight ou aprox 3" and get your legs out away from the faring so you can really strech out.

The other thing I did was I got brave and took the stock off,removed the vynl seat cover,carefully removed the cushion from the seat pan and cut a 1" & 1/2 "section of the base foam out from behind the drivers back rest section (like a thick slice of bread).I also added an inch of foam on the seat pad rising it up aprox 1 inch

What this did is give me a 1" & 1/2" + extra leg room.This might sound lke a lot but it made a huge difference.I had to take it to an upolstry shop to have the vynl cover slightly altered but it was minor and little cost.

Im very happy with th results and thinking that this will be it long term.

Since I did all this Ive taken a number of long trips (500 + miles) in amazing comfort.Having a custom seat built would have been similar in the end but it didnt cost hardly 100 dollars.I figured the stock seat would end up torn up anyway.
Goo luck

Little wing

·
Banned
3 Posts
no matter what I did nothing worked on my 06, I finally broke down and bought a corbin seat and that tokk care of it, I know there pricey but it was worth it for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts