Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had problems getting the seat back on my wing, bolts are a pain. I have ordered the bolts from wingstuff that are tapered and longer hope that helps. any one have a good way to line the seat and bolts up.......

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
+1 on flashlight to see when the holes line up.

Not sure about girlfriend sitting on seat......LOL.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Have had problems getting the seat back on my wing, bolts are a pain. I have ordered the bolts from wingstuff that are tapered and longer hope that helps. any one have a good way to line the seat and bolts up.......
It is hit or miss with those bolts. I do a right rear then left front loosely, by it's still hit or miss.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Nah, They appear to only be for an 1800. They are listed on OEM fiche as 8x70. The 1500 is 8x50 & I don't know what the 1200 is but doesn't that mount different?

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the tips on the seat.

Have ordered the bolts from wingstuff and they are on backorder. My wife won't let me have a girl friend so I will have to have her set on the seat which is ok cause I still enjoy having her around even after 46 yrs. I can not beleave Honda can not come up with a better seat system and Air Cleaner system. Don't get me wrong very happy with the bike, guess there is always pros and cons to everything.

·
Registered
741 Posts
These bolts come off my bike often (seems like weekly) so don't forget the 'Never seize' or 'Anti-seize' on the bolts as it makes threading the bolt in much smoother. After a period of time, I noticed the bolts being more difficult to turn by hand (steel bolt into aluminum threads) as the aluminum vs steel began to gall. The 'Anti-seize' made everything smooth as butter again. The seat bolts from Wingstuff work great.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
there is nothing wrong with putting a small chamfer on your existing bolts if you have access to a belt sander or grinder.

go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap set of metric dies/taps. It is as easy as screwing on a bolt to clean off the burrs with tap and handle.

I wouldn't put more than a 1/6 of an inch chamfer on but the loss of 1 thread will not affect the security of the bolt in most any application if the engineer designed it correctly. In this case, it's only holding a seat in place so this isn't an issue.
I did it to mine and that is all it took.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nah, They appear to only be for an 1800. They are listed on OEM fiche as 8x70. The 1500 is 8x50 & I don't know what the 1200 is but doesn't that mount different?
Nothing a washer couldn't remedy on the GL1500. Case in point... I installed the GL1800 Kury seat-bolt-mounted passenger cup on my 89 GL1500. All I had to do was add a washer or two as a spacer for the slightly longer seat bolt shipped with the cup holder.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Great find Fossil. Thanks Wingstuff for carrying them..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Would appreciate if someone posted a picture of installed seat bolt and bungee clips. I'm curious on how the bungee clips look, does the curved end face the bike? Are they installed with the bungee conection holes up or down? Please excuse me, I'm mechanically challenged. :)
T-Rex

1 - 20 of 23 Posts