Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Wingers.
I was on one of the other sites and under one thread on oil change they mentioned they use seafoam.What is it and do you only use it by mixing with your oil on a oil change?How much do you use and how often do you use; what benifit does it provide?Are their any drawbacks to using it?
Thanks in advance
Donald Lang

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Seafoam is an oil and gas additive. I use it in my gas, usualy half a can to a tank on my wing. Cleans the carbs and stabilizes the gas. I put some in before I park the bike for the season and a couple times during the season.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd never even heard of Seafoam before purchasing my 2000SE back in '08. Been using it since, and can't say anything bad about it. Read the instructions on the can, it can be used as a fuel treatment to outright cleaner if used full strength directly into the carbs. It can be used in motor oil to help clean the crankcase, in diesel fuel and as a fuel stabilizer. I use it as a treatment about every 10,000 or if I feel milage or performance is beginning to suffer and as a winter stabilizer. I had also been told by a mechanic to use about 3oz Marvelous Mystery oil to a full tank of gas afterwards to help condition orings and seals in the fuel system after a cleaning. I'm sure others have had experience and have more info for you, Seafoam gets a :D from me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Donald I would think twice before I would use seafoam in the oil on your goldwing because your clutch is a wet bath clutch. That means it is in the oil. I dont know if it would afect your clutchy or not. check with somrone that knows alot about goldwings.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if you seafoam in the oil do not ride change your oil

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use Seafoam in my Wing's fuel system a couple times a year when it seems to not be running just right.One tank with it does the trick.I agree with the others,never in the crankcase due to clutch,it could possibly cause delamination of the clutch discs.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Just bought a can from Walmart yesterday. Plan on using it in the gas tank after the long winter nap. I noticed the first time I had the Wing out after storage that the gas mileage was not as good as before storage. So I'm going to try and see it makes a difference. Ride safe everyone..

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Just bought a can from Walmart yesterday. Plan on using it in the gas tank after the long winter nap. I noticed the first time I had the Wing out after storage that the gas mileage was not as good as before storage. So I'm going to try and see it makes a difference. Ride safe everyone..
I'll check back with you on this, Charlie. If your bike still runs, I'll give it a try! P.S. Gonna miss your presence Saturday. Fossil and I may run out of places to go and pay you a surprise visit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been a regular user of sea foam for the past several years. This GL1500 had not been run much for at least 2 years when I bought it, and had an irregular idle. A good shot of sea foam in the next two tanks cleared it right up.

I usually give a dose about every 3 or 4 fillups. Never tried it in the oil. Not sure I would.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi fellow Wingers,
Thanks for the feedback! I going to give it a try in my gas.If it works on ok will use it like dryriver does.
I am very thankful for the guys that make this site so vaulable and so cool.I wish I could meet a lot of you guys;that would be fun and worthwhile!
Donald Lang

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I'll check back with you on this, Charlie. If your bike still runs, I'll give it a try! P.S. Gonna miss your presence Saturday. Fossil and I may run out of places to go and pay you a surprise visit.
Your always welcome in my neck of the woods. Enjoy your day and ride safe..

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I've had my 93 since it was new. And never put any additives in, it seemed to run fine always got right at 40mpg two up, no missing or rough running. Then last year I put a half can in the tanks, by the time I had to fill up again it was like a new bike. I guess I never noticed it was getting a little sluggish over the years. Going to give another treatment this spring

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi fellow Goldwingers,
I was going to use seafoam but I just went to a Tread by Redgoldwing with a post by CVHoss that has a weblink on ethernol and gas additives.I went to that link and seafoam and gas mixed with ethernol are not compatable along with a lot of other gas additives.I live in North Carolina and have to assume all gas contains ethernol.I am going to do another thread on this subject.
Donald Lang-Smooth Thunder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts