Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several members said they have run sea foam through their bike to clean out the carbs. was thinking of doing that and went on line. there was youtube video of a guy doing it on a car. he put a third in the carb, a third in the engine oil, and a third in the gas tank.

Now Im assuming you guys dont do all that, but do you just throw it all in the fuel tank?

actually, while Im writing this Im thinkin, I guess I could down to walmart, get a can and read what it says lol.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Yeah Bob, you could do that, but then where's the fun in seeing the responses here? I've never used it, don't even know if it's availabe here. But lots of guys swear by it. I think it's a partial can per tank (don't know the exact mix) for cleaning and then a couple onces every so many tanks for maintaining. I know there's owners that put a couple onces in the oil filler prior to changing oil too.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i use about half a can with a full tank of gas on the wings. seafoam also works as a fuel stabilizer. if you use it in the oil be ready to do an oil change do not ride around with it in your engine

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
+1 to what Shemp says!:D

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
I just got a 1995 1500SE and been running 1/2 can to a full can per tank for the first 4 tanks. Gas mileage went up. Now I am down to 2 OZ per tank. Great stuff. Used it in boats for years.

Been getting the bike ready for my 1st Iron Butt Ride out of Sparks OKlahoma on the 22nd of this month. Just installed my XM radio tonight. Headlight modulator be here tommorrow as well as brake light modulator.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the responses all, appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, I wasnt to sure about the engine part, and wasnt particularly wanting to do that. But Ill try some in the tank.

I dont think I have an issue, but there are time where I feel Im getting some hesitancy while humming along at 70 or so. But I am not sure its not wind buffeting with dips in the road. I still have not checked my front air shocks either. so it could be a combination of things having nothing to do with an engine issue. Im getting between 37/38 mgg, and thats riding 70-75. so thats pretty normal. if i was having a carb issue I would thing I would see less mpg. and you cant hear any misbeat at all. but hey, running a can or two through the system isnt going to hurt I wouldnt think, so I thought Id check.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been using Sea Foam for a couple of yrs in ALL my gas engines. I like it, I use it in my 16hp lawn tractor..interestingly, after trying to find info of how to route my mover deck..I found a tractor web site & signed up a few days ago.
My point you ask? On that site....in every response about Sea Foam..they all say it smokes like crazy!!!:eek:
I don't know how much they use in their engines,but I have NEVER had any of mine smoke! So, unless smaller gas engines..like in lawn equipment are different...( don't see how)..they must be overdoing it, so..anyone here ever experience smoking from Sea Foam??:confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
if you run too much seafoam through the carb ( s )in any engine it will smoke all you need to do once its smoking is figure out how to get that engine to sound like a 2stroke :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Startron

For what its worth, the manager in the service department of the Honda dealer who I've used for many years isn't a fan of SeaFoam. ( I forget the reason why) He swears by Startron. So does the service center for Charlottesville Power Equipment whom I also use. With those recommendations, I've been using Startron not only on my Wing and previous Valkyrie but also on every other gas engine I have including my car & truck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BladeRunner,

I have been using Seafoam for years with GREAT results. The only time I've seen it smoke is when I've used too much in the tank. With the recommended mix.....no smoke in any of my engines.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
For what its worth, the manager in the service department of the Honda dealer who I've used for many years isn't a fan of SeaFoam. ( I forget the reason why) He swears by Startron. So does the service center for Charlottesville Power Equipment whom I also use. With those recommendations, I've been using Startron not only on my Wing and previous Valkyrie but also on every other gas engine I have including my car & truck.
i've heard of a few people that don't like seafoam but most of them complained about having water in their gas. i've also used mmo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been using seafoam for years, gr8 stuff. Keeps fuel line & injectors happy. 1 once per gallon is all you need & she won't smoke. I also use it in lawn mower, about 3 times a year. My snow blowers gets it maybe twice a year.
Boaters have been using it for years.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I talked with a mechanical engineer this weekend who is also a motorcycle enthusiast. He said the best stuff is Tectron. Anybody here ever try it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have also used it for years. If you add it directly to the engine via a vacuum line the engine will die because it is "flooded" let it sit for 30 minutes and restart. It may take a few tries it get it started and once it does it will smoke like crazy and stink. After about 30 minutes it will clear up and be normal again. This cleans out the intake manifold, back of the valves and piston tops. The same effect as putting it in your gas but it is "shock" instead of routine maintenance application.

I have not used it in the oil on the Wing, not sure if it would effect the clutches. But I do put it in the gas tank regularly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I bought a can, weather looks crappy next day or two, but plan to add it into the new fuel I just put in.

thanks for all the notes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
BladeRunner,

I have been using Seafoam for years with GREAT results. The only time I've seen it smoke is when I've used too much in the tank. With the recommended mix.....no smoke in any of my engines.
Yep! That's been my experience also...those guys must be way overdoing it..:eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Been using it for years. I do believe in SeaFoam !!!!

Best buddy found a 1988 Goldwing, been sitting up for about five or so years. First thing we did was replace tires, fluids, and replace fuel & battery.
When she fired up, ran like death. Run it for about forty miles or so and still did not straighten up. Missing, engine trying to fall on it's face. I been telling him from the start, ADD SOME SEAFOAM !!!!
After about a week of him fighting this. He was about to give up.
Again, I told him to ADD SOME SEAFOAM !!!!
He was pissed and said, " Let's go get some of your Seafoam, done everything else". So we did.
We pulled all but about 1 1/2 -2 gallons of fuel back out of the tank. Poured a whole can of Seafoam in the tank. He run it down the road about eight miles and I told him to park it until morning. Let that Seafoam set in the carbs and lines overnight. Next morning, full the machine smooth up with fresh fuel, and added another can of Seafoam. Started up bike, ran it down the road a little and then all straightened up !!!! He since then has put over 28,000 miles on the bike, runs like a brand new machine. Yes, I do believe in SeaFoam, and now, he does too.
*** This is not the first engine I've ever done this to.....

I add a whole can of Seafoam, in a full tank of fuel, in my Goldwing and Honda VTX 1300 about every eight or so fill-ups.
And I only run NON-ETHONAL fuel in my machines and other vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
'88~'90 1500

two guns; Glad to hear your buddies '88 1500 is running great! Just a heads~up..if you haven't heard of this.
The '88~'90 1500's had a common .."off idle hesitation" or hick~up; the cure for that is a new aftermarket "trigger wheel"..it advances the timing 3 deg and makes that problem disappear!!
It's easy to install & only $30 :)
I did mine when I got my '88, at the same time I did the timing belts..you're already in there anyway.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.