Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if any of you have experienced the same.

I purchase my new 2008 GL1800 from House of Motorcycles in Vista, CA in December of 2007. I received a very good deal and then told them that I can buy the extended warrant else ware for $495. They said they’d match that price but that my deal was “So good” that they would give me a “signed” side letter authorizing this paid for warrant but would not show it on the “purchase documents.” It seemed a bit fishy, but the Sales Manager had been there forever and was a trusted person by many of my contacts who have bought from them before. I figured, OK, I do have their signed document that does state I paid for it. Well you know what comes next.

In mid 2011 I decide that it’s time to call Honda to verify my extended warranty. Honda states that it is not available “Your dealer never turned in their paperwork.” states Honda Customer Service.

Long story short (too late), that Sales Manager and the Finance person who signed my document (side letter) are no longer there. And, of course, House of Motorcycles in Vista, CA will not honor my claim for the extended warranty policy.

They have offered to split the price for this extended warrant, but I’ve already paid for it once.

Has anyone else had this problem with a dealer? Has anyone else been stiffed by House of Motorcycles in Vista, CA?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dilemna. I never buy these so called 'extended warranties' because most are money making scams. Ask any trusted friend who works in the business.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm not sure about state laws in CA, but it seems you have been defrauded of services that you paid for. Maybe a letter sent to them from your friendly lawyer would be in order. At least they should refund your $$.. Good luck..

·
Registered
71 Posts
In Ohio, as long as the person who signed the contract was employed at the time of signing, the company is responsible for the contract whether the signer leaves or stays. Similar to buying a bike, the salesman leaving and the sales contract being void? I agree, check with an attorney.
I used to think the extended warranty was a scam... I just took my '09 Ultra for the 50K service. Out of warranty, but under the extended warranty. Took $2000 in repairs, covered totally by the extended warranty..... needless to say, with that few miles and that amount of repair, I now own a 2012 'wing....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have a local TV station that does stories on this sort of thing, NBC channel 2 in Tulsa has stories every night where they solve problems for consumers who have been screwed. When they get a call from a TV station they seem to find the paperwork pretty fast.

:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. But, lawyers are expensive and local TV shows out here want something with more meat.

I'm thinking that my best shot is "Small Claims" court for the time and expense involved.

We're not talking big bucks here. But, DAMN!!! That's my money!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You can bet the dealership is betting that you won't do anything. Prove them wrong...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts