Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soliciting some fellow wing rider opinions. Looking over the bike this evening and found a screw in the back tire, a little over 10k on this set of E3's. Theres some good news and bad news, the screw was on the centerline of the tire, I figure the meatiest part of the rubber, when removed, there is no air leak, fortunately the screw is very short. The bad part is there is about a 1/8"-3/16" hole in the tire. I know it's ultimately up to me, but would like some opinions on whether to ride on it or replace it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,271 Posts
Safety dictates replacement of the tire. Personally, I'd fill the hole with rubber cement and ride it till tread-wear indicates replacement, but then I'm a cheap SOB!

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Not apples to oranges.... but .... I had the same scenario on my rear car tire some 10,000 miles ago. The leak ( air escaping ) was plugged by a local tire shop and I'm still running on it. I say run it. ...... and next tire get a Run -Flat. Quit wasting your money on a motorcycle tire. You ride a Goldwing .:D

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Replace it with a car tire....... or a tire of your choice.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
do what is safe and right for you. if that means replacing the tire the do it for the piece of mind it will give you. if you feel safe riding on that tire the wear it out

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Daggone, you have 10,000 miles on that tire????? I'd say you're doing great on mileage. I'd still run it! My E3's didn't last 9,000 miles.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I have an E3 identical to that one. 8K on that one before it was screwed. I replaced it with......Yes a CAR TIRE....Ahhhhhh!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Obviously you need to do whatever will give you piece of mind. You will not enjoy your rides if you are worried about that tire going flat. If it was mine I would get a bottle of Ride-on and let it seal the leak if that hole decides to leak and wear it out.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Not apples to oranges.... but .... I had the same scenario on my rear car tire some 10,000 miles ago. The leak ( air escaping ) was plugged by a local tire shop and I'm still running on it. I say run it. ...... and next tire get a Run -Flat. Quit wasting your money on a motorcycle tire. You ride a Goldwing .:D
I will go with Ram and Lee I now have 17K on my run flat or what they call a ZP winter alpin Michelin :D the safety and the way this tire will stick to the road is just nuts. Go to the darkside and do some reading and you can make up your own mind. I do think I will get another 10K on this tire and just the safety of it being a ZP tire and the ride has made my wife a happy rider and we all know what that will do for long weekends.:eek:Thats right YOU RIDE.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
i have an e3 identical to that one. 8k on that one before it was screwed. I replaced it with......yes a car tire....ahhhhhh!!
hey go to school teacher it's monday

·
Registered
344 Posts
Safety dictates replacement of the tire. Personally, I'd fill the hole with rubber cement and ride it till tread-wear indicates replacement, but then I'm a cheap SOB!
If it's not leaking then this is exactly what I would do.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
If the tire isn't leaking and losing pressure, I'd probably just fill the hole (research on compound required on that part) but pay attention to the pressure even more dilligently than usual. That is really good wear for an E3 from what I've heard mentioned. I wouldn't try and get a mileage record out of the tire though, I'd replace it earlier than normal in al likelihood.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My E-3's just turned 15k and look like they could hit 20K. I don't ride overly aggressive and live down here in the flat lands. Most of the miles have been one up with a light load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts