1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have now found a screw I each saddle bag. 2012 gl1800. Where the hell
did they come from?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
went out and looked in my 2013
the ONLY screw that looks like that INSIDE the rear saddle bags is in the the latch mechanism

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
518 Posts
They are the extra ones Honda puts there for when you take the saddle bag off and one mounting screw flies to nowhere. Honestly I don't know would register a guess that something was added or changed and the screw wasn't needed or was replaced by a different or longer one or why would there be one in each bag exactly the same?

·
Registered
518 Posts
The OP made me remember something on my 1500 I had an anti-theft alarm and the the sensors for the trunk and bags attached at the latch. Do you have an aftermarket alarm added?

Reactions: JKWinger

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
went out and looked in my 2013
the ONLY screw that looks like that INSIDE the rear saddle bags is in the the latch mechanism
There are eight of them in each saddlebag . Two that you see when you open the bag and three on the left and three on the right holding the latch cover to the top of the bag. They are a pain to see. You might use a mirror to look at the top of the bag. If I have time later today I will post a pic of the latch cover.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
As promised. You can see the six holes where the screws go.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OP made me remember something on my 1500 I had an anti-theft alarm and the the sensors for the trunk and bags attached at the latch. Do you have an aftermarket alarm added?
I do not. The first one appeared in the left bag. I thought ok it was a factory mistake and an extra screw got left in there. But then yesterday the second mystery screw appears in the right bag. Coincidence? Not likely. I'll follow @Jinx advice and use a mirror to see if I can find the missing screw in each bag.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I just look on my 2012 at the side luggage compartment, the only screws that match the one you are showing are located on the lid of the saddle bag. There are 6 of them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The screws that hold the inside covers on are similar to sheet metal screws, self tapping. I think the
only ones that are machine screws are on the bottom hinges.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Here are pics of the top of the saddlebag . There are eight machine screws holding the top plastic liner to the latching mechanism . Two that you can see when you open the saddlebag and six that you will need to look up to see.

This is looking up at the inside top of the saddle bag

Looking at the Latch

This is a bad pic of one of the eight screws removed from the top of the inside of the saddlebag.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Here are pics of the top of the saddlebag . There are eight machine screws holding the top plastic liner to the latching mechanism . Two that you can see when you open the saddlebag and six that you will need to look up to see. View attachment 274156
View attachment 274157
Looking at the Latch
View attachment 274158
View attachment 274159
This is a bad pic of one of the eight screws removed from the top of the inside of the saddlebag.

Missed those on the parts fiche.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are the extra ones Honda puts there for when you take the saddle bag off and one mounting screw flies to nowhere. Honestly I don't know would register a guess that something was added or changed and the screw wasn't needed or was replaced by a different or longer one or why would there be one in each bag exactly the same?
Wow you have screws that fly away and hide on their own also. Whew I thought it was just me lmfao

1 - 14 of 14 Posts