Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several scratches on the back of my GL1800 saddlebags which appear to come from hanging helmets from the hangers in the trunk. I'm looking for scuff protection but see that the product commonly available is intended for a location higher up than my scratches. My scratches are in the area where the saddlebag molding comes across the back of the bike ... on the molding, on the bag itself, and on the edge of the rear fender panel. I'm considering creating my own scuff pads for this area but thought I would ask for other ideas before doing so. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I assume you are refering to the carbon fiber stick on covers. Do you have the helmet hangers? I guess I'm wondering why the helmets would scratch unless you are riding with them on the back. You could try 3M tape and make your own..

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
mrlib, Here's another option that will not change the appearance of the bike. We use a similar product on the leading edge of our race cars to keep the paint from being sand blasted off.

http://www.clearmask.com/aerogard.php

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leery of trying to cut the black carbon scuff pads because I'm concerned that the appearance would look amateurish. The ClearMask automotive paint protection film looks promising and I'll check it out ... thanks.

I'm not sure of the cause of the scratches. We don't ride with the helmets hanging behind us, since we're wearing them when we ride. We hang them from the hooks using the metal loops on the "under the chin" fastener. I'm guessing that the impact of wind blowing when the bike is stationary and the helmets are hanging can be part of the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
East to scratch

I'm leery of trying to cut the black carbon scuff pads because I'm concerned that the appearance would look amateurish. The ClearMask automotive paint protection film looks promising and I'll check it out ... thanks.

I'm not sure of the cause of the scratches. We don't ride with the helmets hanging behind us, since we're wearing them when we ride. We hang them from the hooks using the metal loops on the "under the chin" fastener. I'm guessing that the impact of wind blowing when the bike is stationary and the helmets are hanging can be part of the issue.
My wife's helmet was stolen at a bike night at Zeppe's two weeks ago. (Grrr. What happened to bikers respecting each other?) Since then we've used the hangers exactly three times, and only when parked. All scratched up. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My wife's helmet was stolen at a bike night at Zeppe's two weeks ago. (Grrr. What happened to bikers respecting each other?) Since then we've used the hangers exactly three times, and only when parked. All scratched up. Very disappointed.
Sorry to hear this. I guess there always a bad apple. It not like helmets are cheap item. I havent used helmet hangars yet. If care is taken stuff can look new for years.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I don't use the hangers for that exact reason. I either lock them up or just leave them on the seat. so far I haven't had any theft issues.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Same problem here. I bought some of those carbon fibre ones but they are made to stick on way too high up. I've been wondering about one of these clear film protectants, but I'm unclear (pun not intended :icon_smile_big:) on how well they can form over the back trim strip which is where most of my scuffs are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just ordered some InvisibleShield from Zagg.com. I'll have to cut to fit, but I've had really good luck with this on my iPads, Kindles, Macs, etc. I'll let the forum know how it works. Really tough stuff, and very clear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried the stock helmet hangers and yes the helmets brush against the paint. I also think the latch is a pain in the butt to get to when your trunk is full. I intend on getting a cable lock and lock the helmets to the seat hand rails nest time I am on the road. Cable can fit right in one of those little storage things by the passenger.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I tried the stock helmet hangers and yes the helmets brush against the paint. I also think the latch is a pain in the butt to get to when your trunk is full. I intend on getting a cable lock and lock the helmets to the seat hand rails nest time I am on the road. Cable can fit right in one of those little storage things by the passenger.
There's a fellow named Ted Malcolm in California (I think) who makes a remote trunk release for the GL1800. I bought one a couple of years ago and it sure helps with the latches when the trunk is full. It's wired it in so that the trunk open button on the key fob unlatches them. It works pretty well, but mine seems to have gotten a little out of alignment or something and it doesn't always work anymore. Anyway, just thought you might like to know. If you're interested, shoot me a pm and I'll send you his address.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
I don't use the hangers for that exact reason. I either lock them up or just leave them on the seat. so far I haven't had any theft issues.
+1

Then again the NRA sticker on my helmet might have something to do with my "luck."

·
Registered
844 Posts
I use the free helmet bags that you get at most rallies. Price is right and the cloth stops the scratches.
I actually seldom use the locks. Sit the helmet on the seat or over my GPS mount. Never had one stolen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's a fellow named Ted Malcolm in California (I think) who makes a remote trunk release for the GL1800. I bought one a couple of years ago and it sure helps with the latches when the trunk is full. It's wired it in so that the trunk open button on the key fob unlatches them. It works pretty well, but mine seems to have gotten a little out of alignment or something and it doesn't always work anymore. Anyway, just thought you might like to know. If you're interested, shoot me a pm and I'll send you his address.
How would it release the helmet lock bars? Seems like you would need a bit of gadgetry to get that to happen.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
How would it release the helmet lock bars? Seems like you would need a bit of gadgetry to get that to happen.

A solenoid is mounted in the trunk with a rod going from one helmet latch handle to the other then to the solenoid. The kit was a very reasonable price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts