Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

super excited, i am picking up my first wing this weekend! Its a 93 1500 aspencade, 43k miles. Got a great deal on it, and figured i better start with a used low price wing to see if i like it before dropping 20k on a new one.

So im kinda scared about the size. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 16 (27 now), so plenty of experience, but the biggest i have had is a 650 v strom.

Any tips/advice? What should i NOT do? Just looking to learn from everyone before my first ride.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
relax mike, its just another bike and you've ridden bikes before

·
Registered
620 Posts
Another thing, i have to trailer it home. Im going to loop the front trees as is common, but for the back end i have been told never to use the engine guards. Are the passenger grips bolted to the frame and sufficient for tie down?
I dont trust them. Remove the rear covers vatn use the sub frame.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If you've been riding for a while you should be ok.
When stopping be sure your front wheel is pointed straight a head. If it's turned to either side the bike will try to tip over to the that side,900 lbs is a lot of bike to try and hold up.
If you do drop it. There is an easy way to pick it up.
First get it in gear or tie the front brae down so it don't try to roll away while your lifting. If it's on the right side put the kick stand down, so when you get it up you have some place to set it.

DO NOT bend over to pick it up. Instead back up to the bike and squat with the bike behind you, with one hand on the hand grip for that side and the other on the passenger seat hand grip on the side of the seat. Then lift by straightening your legs.
You'll be supprised how easy it comes up.
Again, DO NOT BEND OVER to pick it up.
Hope you never have to use this but if you do.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
First things first, welcome.

Secondly, the 1500 although a great bike is way heavier than what you have ridden before so be careful with slow speed maneuvers in parking lots until you get used to it, also try to stop with the wheels straight otherwise the weight may cause you to drop it. Don't ride 2 up until you are sure of how the bike handles riding by yourself.

It is a wonderfully engineered machine and handles like a dream, once you are used to it's abilities.

Finally have fun and good luck it's not rocket science:D it's just a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
The main thing, as others have mentioned, relax. I felt the same way on my first Wing, but was pleasantly surprised how easy they maneuver. Yes, they are heavy, but just remember that and you will be fine.

DON'T hook to the passenger grab handles. I made that mistake and needed to replace bolts and one handle. I have transported them in the past by going over the seat and through the handles. (To grandmothers house we go. :))

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing.
You'll like the GL1500 and will be happy with the choice.
Post a pic when you can.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
It is a possibility, but the picture I posted shows how I did it. I had it tight and it didn't move. I won't go into the details, but I had to make one very abrupt turn and the bike stayed in place.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Mike, I grew up riding off road. As I got older and traded the racer life for the family life, I started riding dual purpose......a play bike that got me to and from work. My last one was an XT500. Then I didn't ride for 12 long and boring years. Then I bought a 2002 GL1800.
So I can relate to your switch and apprehension. You'll be impressed in how easily you'll adapt to the Wing. As the others have pointed out, the most likely time to drop a wing is stopping. If the front wheel is just slightly turned, that 900lb momentum will put it down. Notice our IDMWT members. Its like an initiation. You're not a seasoned Winger until you've dropped it.

Know your limits. Know the bike's limits. And use all the common sense you can gather. You'll do fine.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
COngrats and welcome
Follow the advise, front wheel straight if a fast stop. Easy to pick up once dropped, regretfully I have picked mine up 3 times since July.

Great bike, enjoy it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on your new toy. I just started riding motorcycles about 6 months ago. Started with my wife's Virago 750, then bought my own bike, a 1990 1500 SE, a few weeks ago. If I can adapt, you should have no problem whatsoever. I agree, I think the most precarious situations are at low speeds....especially in parking lots. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
24,118 Posts
I remember the anxiousness of which you speak. After three years of riding a VTX 1300 I bought my Wing from a fellows garage and had to ride it home. Compared to the VTX, I was sitting up very high and it gave me the feeling of being top heavy. The fixed front fairing threw me off a bit as I was used to seeing the front end. Was I nervous ? You bet. I came straight home , parked it, and just looked at it for awhile. Time heals all. The Wing slowly grew smaller, lighter and more nimble. My proudest moment was center standing it without a spotter.

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Mike 1st congrats. 2nd some good advice given. 3rd go find a nice big vacant lot to do some practice in. Practice, practice, practice & you'll be fine.

The most important thing I can think of is RELAX. As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Congrats on your new to you Wing Mike. There's an excellent description of how to tie a Wing down in the GWRRA Goldbook. I'll see if I can scan it into a pdf and either post it or e-mail it to you. How soon do you pick up the bike?

·
Registered
178 Posts
congrats on your wing Mike. You have received about all the information you need. other than the bike being top heavy at stop, and getting used to that, it hums on the road. i have a 98 1500 and it was my first wing. similar to you only I have also had some heavy HD's. still this is a bit diff. and its all about the stop and balance. I been riding mine all sumemer about 8k miles worth and still a little apprehensive at the stops, especially with my son in tow. but like I said, all the info here you got, is good.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Check around and see if there is a Gold Wing Road Riders Association chapter in your area. A lot of them have rider educator class's ie. Advanced rider Course, Parking lot Practice course, Trailering course, all got stuff. Plus uaually a good bunch of folks.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Congrats on your new to you Wing Mike. There's an excellent description of how to tie a Wing down in the GWRRA Goldbook. I'll see if I can scan it into a pdf and either post it or e-mail it to you. How soon do you pick up the bike?
If you could post it here, I'm sure others would like to see it also.

(Including me. :eek:)

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Welcome and I know you will love that bike. You've gotten lots of good advice here. It's all a balance act, if it starts over just get out of the way. While I have not dropped mine, YET, I have come close and it happens to the best of us. I'll second that on the GWRRA chapter, the one I belong to has regular safety practices and it really helped me with the slow speed maneuvers. Here is a good video of how to pick up a Goldwing;

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I'd love to post it, but the darn file(s) is too big. I've tried to resize it to a more manageable size but failed.The screen-shot function is also acting the bollox and it just frustrates me.:mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.