Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Metzler tires and at 8000 miles they are scalloping (or lumping before each tread making for a bumpy ride. Any input on this condition would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF silverwing 1800. take the tires back to were you purchased them from and see what they say

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unfortunately, this condition (cupping) is a function of the way you ride. All motorcycle tires do this. When you corner (lean into the turn), you stretch the side tread and wear it from this stretched position. When you return to straight travel, the tire returns to its normal shape, however, the uneven wear from the leaning accumulates over time and results in a "cup" between the tread pattern.

If you can find a way to prevent this (design a non-cupping tire), you'll be a millionaire.

Recommend you maintain proper tire inflation as much as possible. Doing this seems to be the only way to maximize the mileage you get out of your tires.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the tires may be covered under warrenty, take them back

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scalloping of tires

Most tires will "cone" which I have had happen and the handling is not totally effected. These tires though scalloped. Behind each tread a bump develops. Thats EVERY tread! The ride becomes more and more bumpy. Extremely uncomfortable and feels unstable.
Although I'm told by a professional that this really is not unsafe it renders a wonderful machine not so wonderful.
I do not work for any tire company so I say this just as a rider.
These tires were Metzler tires and I recommend no one experience them. I have had good luck with Dunlop's latest tire for the Goldwing, The Elite 3. I'm changing them friday. Can't wait!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Tire cupping or scalloping (unless it was defective new) is a symptom of other problems. These may include ,but are not limited to, Under inflation, out of ballance, poor alignmetn front to rear, flat spotting, out of round tire and/or defective bearings. Softer compound tires will cup faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for all replies on tires. This is my third:eek::eek: set(on this bike) and I have 34,000 miles on my 05'. The cupping I know is normal and I do know that keeping tire pressure and balance ect. helps lessen the severity. These Metzlers started wearing with lumps (or scallops) within 2000 miles. By 5000 the ride was terrible. I think Metzler needs to go back to the drawing board when it comes to the Goldwing 1800 tire. I know they make a good tire, I've had them On a 83' Suzuki 550E, 85 Madura 1200 and a 2001 Shadow spirit 1100. Thats why I thought they would be great on My Goldwing....Oops!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Next time either run bridgestones 709/704 or run Dunlop E-3"s. run air at 38 ft and 41 rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
its called cupping, and the biggest cause is lack of maintenance elsewhere on the bike.

if you have air assisted suspension, one of your forks may be low, or both.

your wheel bearings might be worn, axle loose, even the rim itself.

try changing rubber first to a different brand, and if that doesnt work, its definately your bike, after seeing if a different rubber did the same thing, i would replace the steering head bearings and get the shocks checked and balanced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tire cupping

I had the same condition on a set of Avon's. I noticed it on a recent trip to Cleveland to visit my daughter, and her husband. Actually he noticed it while riding with us, and mentioned it to me. I only noticed the bumpy ride which I attributed to the terrible roads around middlefield. I layed the bike down took off both tires, ran over to Shade Tree and had 2 brand new OEM Bridgestone's mounted. Put them back on the bike, and to my amazement discovered that the roads were not nearly as bad as I had thought. I don't seem to get very good mileage from any brand motorcycle tires. If these do not wear any better I may go to the darkside next time.:eek: Anyway good luck with yours..:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hi it is my opinion that the tire is not to blame. Like the others have mentioned it is more then likely lack of maintenance. My first suspect would be the front forks
Drain the fluid measuring each and every drop that comes out. And refill with the correct amount using the wet scale.
Compare what you had with what you put in. If the amount varies from fork to fork or to what was supposed to be in the forks you may have found part of the problem.
For sure if you have not serviced the head bearings in awhile or ever please do so. The rest could be explained by bad balancing job on the tire. Or driving habits
If you drive in the tire groves made by cars and trucks in the asphalt like everyone does this is the area that can have slight waves In the asphalt causing your tires and rims to slightly bounce. This is amplified under braking and can lead to this cupping you are worried about.
Normally your forks can absorb this without wear problems but if the fluid is
Low in your forks or your Head bearings are dry and worm all this could work together and will eat up some tires. Even If these things are not causing your problem
It is worth it to service these items has it make the wing ride as it should. Smooooooth.
Btw head bearings should be cleaned and packed with grease every 2-3 years if you pressure wash your bike and spray that area down you will need to do it sooner.
I hope this helps.good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tires

Where I do not have an 1800, I own a 1200 LTD, I use the Dunlop E II's. I have read the reviews for the E III's and the E II's. The reviews for the E II's were better in every aspect so I chose the E II's. I only have about 1000 miles on them but I have no signs of irregeular wear and the ride is just incrediable. Not sure if this helps any or not. Was told that irregular tire wear was an alignment issue not so much do to riding styles. I am not a motorcycle mechanic, but not sure how or if you could even "align" the rear wheel..... not aware of any adjustments that can be made. I could be wrong. Hope things work out for you. Take care and ride safe! And always keep the rubber side down!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I've moved this thread to the Wheels and Tires section..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts