Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem. I have a pair of the Scala Rider Q2. It has worked great until now, but on one unit the small pin inside the charging port broke. I called the company, but since the unit is 3 years old, it is out of warranty. There is no fix. Here is my question. I am looking at the Sena SMH10 unit. I looked in the web site http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview and it looks like the charging port is quite a bit more stout than the Scala Rider. Does anyone have that unit. Any problems or concerns? Any input is greatly welcomed. Safe riding to all.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Fl: Test your link. It didn't work for me. I just purchases and received the latest Scala G4 pair. Can't help with comparison and frankly I don't want to know, if you know what I mean.;);)

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Fl: Test your link. It didn't work for me. I just purchases and received the latest Scala G4 pair. Can't help with comparison and frankly I don't want to know, if you know what I mean.;);)
:confused:...I am a little confused about these. I want a headset that will allow me to take phone calls and communicate with people that don't own a headset. I am holding off on purchase the customary CB. Just so confused.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
FL-510, I found this on Youtube. There are other videos as well.

Scala vs. Sena ? Is this a familiar encounter

8 Track vs. Cassette
VHS vs. Beta
DVD vs. Blue Ray

Hmmmmm?

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
:confused:...I am a little confused about these. I want a headset that will allow me to take phone calls and communicate with people that don't own a headset. I am holding off on purchase the customary CB. Just so confused.:confused:
My G4 will communicate with at least two other riders, besides my passenger, that have any model of the Scala and that we may perchance meet along the road. The Sena brand probably does that too. I'm new to it and haven't explored it beyond it's initial set up, but I should be pairing it a local buddy of mine later today. My sense is that it recognizes the presence of other Scala riders and allow you to engage ( if you wish ) in a conversation with them subject to the reception range, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
My G4 will communicate with at least two other riders, besides my passenger, that have any model of the Scala and that we may perchance meet along the road. The Sena brand probably does that too. I'm new to it and haven't explored it beyond it's initial set up, but I should be pairing it a local buddy of mine later today. My sense is that it recognizes the presence of other Scala riders and allow you to engage ( if you wish ) in a conversation with them subject to the reception range, etc.
What about taking a phone call?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
I called my self and talked to myself with the helmet on.
That must have been a small conversation.;)

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Entirely Bluetooth. As long as the phone you have is Bluetooth. I called my self and talked to myself with the helmet on. Built-in FM tuner ( wish it were XM ).
Keep me posted...

I am a little concerned about the call you made to yourself....How long did this conversation take place?

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Seriuosly though this is good info. I liked to see the differences & ponder can they talk to each others brands????

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
The conversation that transpired between two intelligent people having a conversation with themselves would be pointless to post here.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
The conversation that transpired between two intelligent people having a conversation with themselves would be pointless to post here.
"A single conversation across the table with a wise person is worth a month's study of books" - Chinese Proverbs;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. It just goes to show that everyone has their own experiences. In The VOG.net video he liked the charging system on the old Scala Rider Q2 betterthan the new unit. That is exactly what failed for me. As far as the performance of the unit. I had no problems with helmet to helmet, even at some distances, and the blue tooth function, with a blackberry, always worked great!

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It just goes to show that everyone has their own experiences. In The VOG.net video he liked the charging system on the old Scala Rider Q2 betterthan the new unit. That is exactly what failed for me. As far as the performance of the unit. I had no problems with helmet to helmet, even at some distances, and the blue tooth function, with a blackberry, always worked great!
Mine slips in easily. As with most plugs it helps to see what you are doing. I would agree that it helps to look at it, rather than just feel your way in.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
After reading a few reviews, I ended up buying the Sena SMH10 set last year. I had a couple of issues near the end of the season which Sena took care of very promptly, but other than those issues - performance wise the system works great. Taking/making calls is easy, intercom works great, and the batteries last a good long while. With most features being about the same, my main reason for choosing the Sena over the Scala Rider was cost.

Just a note - last year Sena changed the SMH10 charging port to a micro-USB port. This now allows for upgrading the firmware. They've only released one firmware upgrade so far that I'm aware of, and that is to allow 3-way conferencing.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
wife's bluetooth in her car doesnt work tou her satisfaction, and I can't be bothered with the phone while riding. Fair play to those that doo, but it isn't for me. FL, while we're used to mobile two-way comm (inflight ops etc) with all the legislation issues anymore regarding vehicles, meh, phone stays on standby in the pocket. I wouldn't be surprised to see the feds legislate against hands-free one day soon.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It seems as I've had the G4 unit the longest, going on almost 2 years. It has been dependable and a well made unit. The charging plug isn't the high point and sometimes it takes a few extra seconds to plug in correctly. Besides that, no problems whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts