Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see many people on various forums asking for information and some get some off the walls answers. First thing folks is buy yourself a service manual Clymer is good, but if you can get your hands on a Honda manual that's even better. There are DVD's available for the GL1500 and GL1800, they are worth the money and you will not be given misleading or false information. I know individuals who have purchased the DVD's and have successfully done work in their spare time that would have cost them a good chunk of change.
I have two very close friend who are 'Ace' Goldwing techs and they'll tell anyone to stay away from snake oil cure alls, vodo and magic spells or oddball suggestions on the internet, I believe I may know which forums they could be talking about, but it's speculation on my part. These two men have heard it all and seen it done and they clean up the aftermath. One stated that there are 'Crackpots' who actually post on forums off the walls ideas and there are people stupid enough to try them. That sounds familiar I know some that did and it cost them $$$.
Please people educate yourself, your Goldwing is an expensive piece of machinery and you need to take care of it correctly so that it will last long. Remember always follow directions, read everything thoroughly and if you need help ask a professional. To get Goldwing Service DVD's go to www.illustratedpowersports.com

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
I bought the super colossal - 20,000+ pages with addendum sections Honda Service Manual. It's too much information for the level I want to delve into. I can look up the tolerance specs on the clutch plates but I can't envision a day when I'll ever see the plates unless I'm hanging around the repair shop while Chris is tearing the trans apart. The powersport DVD's you linked here look like they would have better met my needs and the level of maintenance I would be interested in performing. If anyone has the 1800 DVD's but would like the super colossal-20,000+ pages with addendum section Honda Service Manual, I'd be willing to trade.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Hey Chop,,, I don't have anywhere near 1800 dvd's (thats a lot of dvd's) but I've got a pretty good selection, including the complete seasons' of 24.... and I have a 10 disk set of Red Skelton too....LOL I guess they are no good for a trade...

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Trike Lady,

You are absolutely correct about being careful with information posted on forums. I have found most posters have a genuine interest in helping others, but there are those who enjoy causing others grief. I would hope that the vast majority of our posters fall into the category of wanting to help. Even so, I always weight information "with a grain of salt" and before I would jump with both feet into a solution provided I would do some of my own checking just to be sure. I'm not a wrench guy, so most technical information for me is just that...."information"..

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Hey Chop,,, I don't have anywhere near 1800 dvd's (thats a lot of dvd's) but I've got a pretty good selection, including the complete seasons' of 24.... and I have a 10 disk set of Red Skelton too....LOL I guess they are no good for a trade...
I think I have some BVD's from that era.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think I have some BVD's from that era.
I love that!
Just spent a couple of months fixing quick fixes. A Wing is the most complex bike I have seen. If you dont have the ability and tools to work on them, find a good wrench to do your work. And yes, a good shop manual is one of those tools. Go to any good shop and on top of their tool box is one.
Proper tools are just as important. This includes a good torque wrench. IF THE MANUAL CALLS FOR A OEM SPECIAL TOOL USE ONE.
The final, and most valuable tool, is time. Don't be in a hurry. Slow down and do it right!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts