Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Delphi Roady XT xm satellite radio for my Wing (2009). I was previously looking at a mounting system for this specific radio designed for the Wing which included everything I would need minus the actual radio, of course. I'm sure I seen it on the Sierra electronics website but it's no longer on the website. And now I can't find it anywhere on the web. Did I have too many beers that night ? This kit included the mount, antenna, and all electronics needed to run it on the Wing. Any suggetions ? Lyndon

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Poncho: I have a Pioneer Inno XM/MP3 that I use on my '09. I use the external antenna velcro'd to the dash top right beside the w/s vent. The unit itself is in a cradle on the fairing pocket lid (also velcro mounted). I power it with the 12v accessory plug inside the pocket, and use the aux audio jack. Now that I have the Electrical Connection noise suppressor it is superb. There are the cables that feed out from the pocket lid, but if you are careful in routing them, they don't look too bad. If I get energetic enough this winter, I may route the antenna lead inside the fairing to keep it out of sight completely.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Budoka. But when you close the fairing pocket lid, doesn't it pinch the wires or is there some kind of wire slot there that I'm not aware of ? And where did you get the noise suppressor ? And while I'm at it, where do you get your extra Goldwing gear ? On the east coast here, I have to get stuff in from the States which can get expensive with shipping. Thanks, Lyndon.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
So far, I haven't bought all that much stuff for the wing. I'm hoping the Mrs took a hint and is getting me the mini boards, and a heel toe shift from Wingstuff. What I did get for the wing so far I got from my dealership. I have a longstanding relationship there and they treat me real well. I bought quite a bit on e-bay when I had the ST,especially since Honda has so little for them. The trick to e-bay is searching for stuff available in Canada so you don't get dinged for Customs. I try and get anything from the States shipped via USPS and it by-passes Customs too. As for the cables/leads for the Inno, I trimmed a bit of the lip of the fairing pocket to minimize the pinch (doesn't prevent it all but sure helps) leaving just enough lip to stop any moisture from running inside. The noise suppressor I got direct from Electrical Connection, I think I posted the p/n on a thread somewhere. Wingstuff doesn't list it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Budoka. The 12 volts accossory socket, is that a Hondaline product and is there much to installing it ? I mean do you have to cut a hole in the pocket yourself or is there a punch-out spot for it ? I'm at work now so I can't get to the bike for a look and my fairing pocket is always full of junk. Lyndon

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yes it's a Honda piece p/n 08V70-MCS-100, forget what I paid for it but it wasn't expensive. You do have to drill the pocket, but there is a mark that shows where to drill. Takes a funky size hole saw that I couldn't find, so I cut it a tad small and made it work with a drum rasp (I don't have a Dremell). Toughest part is getting the wires plugged together as there isn't alot of room for your hands. Only swore a few times:D I PM'd you the suppressor part #.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Budoka. That's my winter project - accessory power and satellite radio. And whatever else I can talk the little lady into letting spend more money on! I'm hoping it's going to be an all Goldwing accessory Xmas ! I was going to put her to bed for the winter (the bike, that is) but the forecast is good for this weekend so it might have to wait. With regard to the suppressor, there's a store over your way (Calgary) that can supply it - www.chrometoys.com or google motorcycle accessories.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm hoping for a little Santa action this year too. Going to install a lighted spoiler for sure this winter, LED cowl lights too if the budget allows. Didn't find the Chrometoys link before, but I did e-mail Wingstuff and suggest they list the suppressor. Chromeworld in the States carries them, but won't ship to Canada(?*!). Glad you can still ride a bit; too icy and snowy around my place, and the salt on the highway, well...Anyway, I have to get my watermellon ready for Sunday's game "GO RIDERS!"

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 85 GW Limited Edition as you know has the old Cassette tape player am/fm system.
One of the first things my son and I did with our wings was add Satellite radios to our bikes. His is an 82 Aspencade. I had 2 options,tune the FM radio to the right frequency and see if there was any engine noise static getting into the receiver,or use one of those Cassette tapes with the mini plug which fits the Satellite radio output. The sound using the FM tunner is clean and loud so we did'nt need the Cassette tape.
Thought I'd post this for anyone with an older wing,it works great.

I use the same Satellite receiver in my truck,GW, ocean boat, and the lake boat, just
rigged each one seperatly with its own power outlet and antenna.The boats use a special dome antenna for marine use, the truck and GW use the standard little magnetic
ones. I'm sure someone is going to pick up on this and use the idea. Its quite legal since
I'm paying for the service on the receiver and can only use it at one location at a time.

Robert

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Right on bstar. We have a home dock for my wife's XM Deplhi from her car. XM Canada gives you special rates for additional and/or part-time service units like the one on my Wing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi budoka, I thought I'd give you an update on the satellite radio. I called Sierra electronics in Ohio regarding my specific radio. They had none already to go but the guy found the proper mount and basically built the rest. It came with everything including a ground loop isolater that replaces the stock audio output jack. Also it powers directly from the bike, that is, there in no 12 v plugin. Looks like a little work running those wires through the fairing pocket.
Now for a question. I'm assuming that the replacement audio jack will easy - may have to play around with the grommet. I haven't had the fairing pocket out yet but the power connector for the radio has 2 plugs. Are these both to be plugged in ? And the location to plug in - is it easily identfiable ? The directions are a little scanty. Could the 2 plugs be related to different voltage needs of the radio ?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Poncho, Just be careful as the roady xt that I have needs to be powered by 5 volts not twelve. I had to purchase a power converter to make this work.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Poncho: the lead isn't too hard to find, but it could be tucked out of the way a bit. Ditto on what sr71 said about the voltage; any decent electronics store should be able to set you up with a converter.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Poncho, My Roady XT does have an FM Modulator. I have my radio set at 88.3 FM and the Roady works just fine. You may need to find a different station in your area as 88.3 may be used or too close to a nearby station. There are a bunch of settings on the roady for selecting the right freq. I used the mount that came with the roady and double sided taped it to my left fairing pocket lid. Same system as on my old 1500 but in a different place. I never had a problem with the mount.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, yes it has the fm modulator. This set-up I got from sierra electronics that has a mount that bolts into that bracket just to the left of the right grip. The mount has a place for the antenna. The wiring goes directly into the plug for the 12 volt hookup and compensates for the voltage difference. It also has an extra plug which I haven't played with yet. Nothing in the directions about it. It has the same plug end as the one for the aux plug. So I'm wondering if I hooked the original aux plug to it (the kit came with a ground loop isolater which replaced the original aux plug) and hooked my cell phone to that.....will my cell cut in to the headsets over the satellite radio ?

Well, I'm confused...too much turkey,beer,wine,cake...yada yada yada...

Now that I figured out how to post pics, let me know if that will help with the above explanation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.