Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents, I love my 83 Wing but as the plans for longer trips and harder miles are on the horizon I would like to get something a little more comfortable with a few more bells and whistles.

I most likely will never be in the place where I can just go out and purchase a new Goldwing 1800 but...I was wondering what the group thought of finding something under a salvage title and putting it back together? Have any of you ever done this? I have with cars but never with bikes. The other question i wanted to post is since i am riding a 83 GL1100 is going straight up to an 1800 too big of a jump? Can i get the same bells and whistles without going all the way to a 1800? What i am really looking for is something a little bigger that I can really put me and a passenger on the highway for a lot of miles while having plenty of power. I would love your suggestions and insights on these topics.

Thank you,

J

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
You may be able to find a decent running GL-1500 that may need a little work. A GL1500 from 1988 to 2000 might be less expensive for you; it all depends on age, condition, miles or my favorite "How desperate is the seller". There are many people who need money and have bills to pay, they hardly ride their bike any more and so its up for sale. Start by checking out Craigslist, classified ads, dealerships (car dealers too, people will trade their bike on a car), bike shops that take consignments and this forum. If you belong to GWRRA there is always someone there who can help you.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
jk the anwser to your first question is definitely NO. The 1800s handle so well you'd be amazed. Question 2 is right where trike lady said it; you can find soem great deals on the 1500's and you might even find an SE at a bargain. Obviously, the later in the model run the better for lower mileag, but hey they are Goldwings, and mileage usually isn't an issue. Just check for maintenance records and such and you're off and running.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
now is the time to find someone in need of cash. Bikes are cheap now so as they said, look around, check records and enjoy the treasure hunt.
You'll find a 1500 to be a fun ride and it has lots of creature comforts.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
hello as for a salvage title my bike is an 81 and it has a salvage title and it runs good would ride it anywhere

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I would definately go for an 1800. They didnt call the 1500 a Land Yacht for nuttin'. It is big. Some guys perfer the 15 but for me newer is better, Im not handy fixin' stuff and restoration is very expensive. Shop hard and you may not have to bother with a salvage title. I would stay away from that anyway, you just don't know how messed up it is. My Bit. If you get an 02 - 04 get one with the frame recall satisfied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts