Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the green light from the "boss" to go to Salmon Arm for the Victoria Days run. Now if winter will just release it's death-grip on us here in the north-central part of the Province, life will be good. I know there are some Edmonton and area folk that have attended for the past couple years, so jump in and let me know your travel plans/dates. Myself and likely one or two of my local buds are hoping to tag along for the ride. Leaving after work (5:00 pm, 19th) on Thursday evening and will go as long as the light lasts, around Red Deer or Sylvan Lake. Head out Friday morning and should make Salmon Arm around mid afternoon depending on weather conditions and such. Will enjoy the rally activity until Sunday morning and then head out for home, hope to be back mid-afternoon Monday. Should be no worries as long as the roads/weather are good, 600 miles each way roughly. Haven't decided about returning via the Yellowhead or not yet, or maybe even the Icefiled Parkway. Last time I rode the Parkway I was pretty miffed at the condition of the road surface (or should I say lack of surface?). Not too good considering it's a toll highway:)mad:). But it's all about the ride/trip anyway, hope I can follow in Eric's shoes and get lots of photos to post along the way. So Ron, it's a happening thing, it'll be good to hook up and meet in person (if Kirk and his Mrs haven't got you running yer backside off helping out). Think spring all!:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
sorry budoka i can't make that run. mom's birthday is the 18th and dad's is the 19th

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Excitemint in the camp up north. Budoka is making riding plans. I look forward to your photo's and ride report. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I must have dozed off. Did I read a motorcycle rider in Alberta making plans for a ride on a motorcycle ?

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
We had a good time there last year. Had a bit of a sticker shock, bought a 12 pack of beer cost $32.00.
Would be great to meet a few of you folks there.
Hoping the weather get really nice.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must have dozed off. Did I read a motorcycle rider in Alberta making plans for a ride on a motorcycle ?
@ Maestro you crack me up! Yes I'm planning a ride, but right now I'm also planning on plowing the driveway again:eek:! Lots of folk around here are getting the late winter blues, but really, it hasn't been overly harsh for cold (never broke into the -40's), and yes lots of snow, but not abnormal. It's Alberta for gosh sakes, lots of winters drag well into April and this looks for sure like one of 'em. I've got a couple pals on the hok for the ride to BC, and hopefully get some interest from some of the GWRRA chapters in the process. I'm getting stoked big time and it's two months away. Still have my w/s install, LED lights, and backrest to do yet. Time will be well spent.
Jeebus Ron, what kind of beer did you buy? Anything over $6 a sixer is exhorbitant to me! That's our left leaning gov't ideals working for us, tax hungry bastiges that they are. They traded the 'wages of sin' for "sin tax" a long time ago. Don't even get me started on the current boondoggle we're facing again. Won't you all take Michael Ignatieff back please? We don't want the SOB (never did, even before he embraced the US as his adopted home). What a tool.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Sounds good. Sure hope the snow melts quick for you. Don't forget the camera.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, as if I didn't have enough impatience going over the May run, I just booked my first stint of our Ireland trip in June. Leave the rental shop just out of Belfast in the North and loop our way around the coast (Giants Causway and the Sea Cliffs of the Northwest coast and beaches of Donegal and stuff) and through the inland of County Down back into Cormon. Three days and two nights (self guided with a GPS pre-programmed route) on the road with a BMW R1200GS. Then (hopefully) the next weekend from just out of Dublin tripping about on an R1200ST, hopefully with a few of me Irish mates as guides. Haven't been on a Beemer since I rode one of the early K-bikes. My wife's gonna freak when she sees the GS (not the purdy-est things on two wheels, but well suited to Irelands roads); I can hear her now "What, no stereo?":eek: If I catch her with her nose in a book while we're sightseeing (she did that to me in the Redwoods fer gawd sake!) I might have to drop her at a train station. Don't worry, I'll pay her fare;)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's finally here. Heading out in about 15 minutes so hopefully see you all about Tuesday.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
have a safe and enjoyable trip

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Look forward to hearing about your trip.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, some pics of the run out to S/A and back. Bear in mind that the weather at times did not play fair for photography of some of the most beautiful scenery in Western Canada (didn't mess up the ride much but did knock off some of the giggle quotient). #1: spiral tunnels at Yoho pass summit. Trains wind 'through' the mountains to climb the steep grade up to the summit to reduce the angle of climb. takes several miles of tunnels to do the ascent. #2: Looking west at the summit lookout. #3,4,5: Rogers Pass Summit centre. Normally a bustling stop, mostly still closed due to the amount of snow left yet. Surprisingly warm in spite of the elevation, but the snowbanks say otherwise.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
More pics after leaving Rogers Pass. #1: Action shot...oops, forgot to turn off the autofocus. I know, you shouldn't do that while driving but it seemed like a good idea at the time. #2,3: some of the machines Saturday evening efore dinner. #4: my long lost buddy Keith (r); hadn't seen him in almost 20 years.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sunday during the trip home, ah, between rain showers anyway. #1: South Thompson river near Clearwater BC. #2: Same river further along the Yellowhead. #3: Mount Robson, tallest peak in Canadian Rockies...er, some of it anyway. #4: Moose Lake east of Mt Robson. #5: So that's why GW's have cruise control. Yeah I know, don't even start...

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And just a few more...headed east just after leaving the town of Jasper. An hour later I was soaked. Was planning on staying in Edson overnight anyway, but it was a welcome port on a stormy evening. I highly recommend the Chinese buffet at the Best Western Inn.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Thanks for the trip and photos. I got cold just looking at the photos. The forward looking photos looked good, how did you take them.lol. Eric

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures and tour. I hope to see it in person one day, but it will be a few years.....added to bucket list.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eric, it's a bit of a hit and miss technique. First, remember to turn off the a/f mode and have your manual focus set to infinite. Set the cruise control and hold up the camera to your best guess field of view and push the shutter button (most cameras are ont left hand friendly). Don't try to look through the viewfinder unless you want a good photo of your impending spill.:eek: One other thing, it's a good idea to take the pics when the road is empty of other traffic ;). Of course the easier and safer way is to have your pillion rider take the shot, if you have one anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Hated to miss the gathering there at Salmon Arm. Had a great time last year. The wife's hip just isn't healing like we had hope. Not sure when she'll get on the bike again. Hopefully soon.

From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

1 - 20 of 33 Posts