Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just a reminder to all out there with 1500s.

I have had a bad habit of putting my foot under the shifter until I reach 5th gear. This habit from other bikes and I still ride a Sabre. There is no danger of hanging my foot on these bikes with forward controls.

I have scraped the bottom of my shoe on the Wing when making a left turn. I realized this could be a really bad thing if your foot gets caught. I have tried to great the habit.

We are now on vacation at the beach. We lost the Tranny in the truck last Saturday. NO PROBLEM. the wing is here. Then Sunday, I did it. Traffic was bad. Had to make a left turn and was worrying about the cars and the sand.

I leaned the bike over a bit too much and the pavement grabbed my foot and twisted it pretty good dragging it under the peg. Thank some engineer for having a hinge on it. The force turned the bike back upright and the hinge helped me to break free.

So again, learn from my mistake. Keep your foot out from under the shifter when you take off. It is more important to have both feet working properly than to worry about shifting at a certain rpm!!!

The good news last.
we have to stay down here an extra 3 days waiting for the truck tranny. The weather is great, I can hobble about ok and it's always 5 oclock here.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I've bent back a few toes a number of times doing just that. Not a good feeling. First thing is it scares the ???? out of you. The next thing it does is transmitts pain to the brain. Thanks for the reminder.. Ride safe...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Scary reminder for sure. That's why it's good to do an MSF course once in a while. We all develop bad habits over time without realizing it. Even riding with someone new can point out your (or theirs) weaknesses. 5 o'clock eh, lucky you. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Wow, thanks for the reminder. I'll pay attention today and I'm betting that I do the same thing. Hope you heal up quick.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Glad to hear you're all right. Makes me think on a trike too, as to what could strike my foot on the road as I try to get the wheels avoid the object.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That must have been a nasty jolt otherwise you would not talk about it. It is an excellent point that few would think about and mention, and clip those toenails, please !

kidding...glad you came out ok !

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That must have been a nasty jolt otherwise you would not talk about it. It is an excellent point that few would think about and mention, and clip those toenails, please !

kidding...glad you came out ok !

I didn't want to whine, I did want to make others aware so that I make the mistakes so you don't have to!!!

But is was and still is nasty. The whole foot twisted under the peg. This hurt worse than i can explain here. My big toe is black and blue. The achillis tendon was twisted and still very sore. The tendons in my upper angle are still sore. The muscles or what ever all around the pivot point of my foot are still swollen about 25% bigger than normal. All this 8 days after the incident. there are scabs on my toe and heel where the skin was instantly rubbed raw.

Don't let my humor soften the warning. This hurt like hell and still hurts today. I expect this to be a real problem for weeks to come.

So keep your chin and your toes up!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts