Do you wear a bright colored jacket or vest for safety purposes. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
not unless you consider black hi-vis

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Should, but don't. I gave mine to " Cantankerous " who is trying to figure out how to fit it over his " spare ". I rely on my bike's color for visibility.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
My GWRRA jacket has reflective piping on it, so does that count??

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I do ever since I bought my 08 Titanium Gold Wing. With my Pearl Orange 02 I never had a problem being seen, but with my 08 seems someone was trying to run into me. My wife bought me an orange and gray jacket to match my 02 and I use it on my 08 and now on my Concours.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I do ever since I bought my 08 Titanium Gold Wing. With my Pearl Orange 02 I never had a problem being seen, but with my 08 seems someone was trying to run into me. My wife bought me an orange and gray jacket to match my 02 and I use it on my 08 and now on my Concours.
Joe, I sure hope you are enjoying that Kawasaki. Both of your Wings were beautiful and I don't know if I could have parted with either one. Ride safe...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Never wore anything hi-vis. I use the mindset that when I ride I'm invisible so I don't depend on cagers to watch for me. Oscar and Minnie Grope are my sworn enemy and their belchfire Buick is their chosen weapon of mass destruction. Our Joe Rocket jackets are fairly flashy and my old CBR jacket is rather bold so that's as close as I get I reckon. All my other riding gear was black leather, even my old Hondaline Goldwing leather suits.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Yep..Olympia hi-viz yellow..Lots of comments on how bright it is..
Guess it helps if they say that..

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
A highway workers Hi-viz vest in bright yellow with orange stripes with reflective silver stripes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wear black with reflective piping. I depend more on me seeing them than them seeing me. Then I can judge whats on thier mind and hopefully avoid trouble. There are plenty of lights on the Wing so they should see you but being invisable they don't.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I wear black with reflective piping. I depend more on me seeing them than them seeing me. Then I can judge whats on thier mind and hopefully avoid trouble. There are plenty of lights on the Wing so they should see you but being invisable they don't.
Probably a good idea on your part.

I lost two good riding friends on 1-95 in Jacksonville, Fl. They were on of all things a bright solid white three wheeler. Just after passing a semi and returing to their lane an idiot driver also passed the same semi and while attempting to return to the right lane, clipped the left rear fender of their trike at 65 mph. Both were ejected from the trike and killed just as soon as they hit the roadway. One would have thought another vehicle driver would have seen something as large as a Goldwing Trike with two persons onboard, apparently this old gal didn't.
On another ocassion I lost another riding partner when a 72 year old fossil waited until my friend reach the intersection before pulling directly in front of him. My friend had slowed to 45 mph when he hit the car broadside. Over the car he went landing in the roadway on the otherside on his back.

The accident didn't take his life right away. Seems as though while being transported to the hospital by air he had a massive heart attack. Either way he was days away from retirement and wound up dead at 52.

I'm not so sure that other motorist see our bikes, most have problems seeing other vehicles twice to three times the size of bikes. This seems to be quite apparent by the thousands of accicents per day in the USA.

Still searching for an answer even though I know there is no hope since all drivers now have the ability to text along with drinking and driving, conducting business on the I-Pod, reading newspapers and books, putting on makeup, fussing with passengers, ie, children, jamming to the stereo equipment, speeding, reckless driving among a mulitude of other things!!!

Natural dangers would seem to be challenge enough, which include but certainly are not limited to animals, trees, rocks, and various other objects laying in the roadway without having to contend with a group of other man made dangers.

I guess at the end of each ride one should count his blessings that he made it through another day on the old two wheeler without winding up in a black plastic bag. The sad thing is, alot or our fellow bikers don't make it!!!!!!! :mad:
my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Following this thread, I have been reminded of my days racing Formula Cars. I used to tell people that when "We" strap ourselves in we know that there may be trouble. If you don't then you shouldn't be doing it.
We all should know the dangers of Mortorcycle riding. I have had a couple close calls even 2 with the Little Lady on board. I have taken the same approach Budoka has. I assume nothing from anyone else & Yes this includes other Bikers.

A couple things I do are,

When approaching an intersection with vehicles crossing I get ready with controls & keep an eye on the front wheel of that vehicle to watch for it to start rolling. Sometimes even blowing the horn to get eye contact.
For approaching traffic that may turn in front of me I do similar although you obviously can't see a wheel.
When stopping or slowing I always take a quick glance at the mirrors & when stopped in traffic always leave room for escape to the front.
I ride within my limits of comfortability not those I'm with or around. Mind you can't ride 45 on a 65 Mph highway.
Do the simple things if possible like stay away from the crowded roads or adverse conditions.

As far as the visibility thing goes, No I don't wear HiVis. I do have some reflective stuff that comes on my jackets but that is all.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Oh & the 2 close calls with my wife on board actually have been with younger drivers not paying attention. One turned right in front of us (Thankfully he also had a Fast & Furious car & got on it when he realized what he did) & the other was a young lady that came out of her driveway in the country & never slowed. As for my comment about including bikers, Yes I almost got broadsided by some Hero on a bike. So we should include our own in the dangers we face.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Today my son has had he first encounter with being invisable on a motorbike. He was T/boned by a car coming out of a give way road. He is ok but not sure the bike will be repairable. I have had 3 bad ones and all different. I have been hit from behind two times. First one by a bike when I was stopped at around about. Second one by a truck while stopped at an intersection. I have been T/Boned like Wanlop was today. I have hit one kangaroo and one car which was my fault. In all of that hi vis wouldn't have helped. IMHO. Eric

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Whatever they can do, they will! That's my approach to riding (or driving).

I had one guy pull out in front of me and when I hit the horn, and the brakes, he honked his horn and gave me the finger!! I just don't understand some folks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread, I have been seaching for answers from fellow bikers that will add safety to my riding style. I have read every post, some more than once in an effort to improve my riding skills. :)
Thanks again to all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts