Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i'm a new owner of a 1996 1500 SE and i have a question. how do you get the trunks open when the levers dont work? i can pull any one of them and the lids dont open. any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good day! The top trunk will open with the key. After the top trunk is open there two plugs, one on each side, remove them and there are manual release buttons, push and they will release the side bags. First though, just make sure the trunks aren't just locked. Good luck! Ride!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the trunk is unlocked and one side seems to be unlatched but the other side is stuck. i have tried pushing down while pulling the release lever but no luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where in Kansas are you? I'm in SW Wichita, big garage, all the tools, and delighted to help figure out/resolve the problem.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm in buhler and i apprecieate the reply. i have replaced the latch and have a replacement lever and cable set to put in. the whple system seems like a good idea but the center trunk latch doesnt have any adjustment so i'm not sure how to accomadate that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any way to release the trunk latch from underneath? I replaced the light/ signal assembly and now my trunk is locked but I have access to the assembley from below.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just reread your original post. First thing u need to do is check that the trunk/bags are not LOCKED Insert the ignition key into the trunk's key hole and turn it clockwise to where the slot is horizontal. In the vertical position, the levers are useless. If this is not your problem, you can remove the 4 phillips screws that are in the lower part of the trunk, 2 screws to the left, 2 to the right of where the levers are. Once screws are removed, pull the rearmost part of that panel down, with a little effort, pull the front legs of this panel down and rearward. You will see the levers exposed. You'll just hafta see for urself what needs to be done there. If your trunk is OPEN, and u just cannot open the saddle bags, look in the floor of the trunk. Towards the rear of the bike, on the floor of the trunk, you'll see 2 round, rubber plugs, 1 on either side of the trunk. Remove plugs, push the plungers with your finger to open the bags.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
if you have something in the trunk pushing up against the lid it will put pressure on the latch just press down on the lid while pulling the lever to release the pressure and the trunk will open

1 - 9 of 9 Posts