Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help in ascertaining if we are missing a part on our saddlebags. Saturday we purchased a 1996 Honda GL1500
Aspencade. We have been going over the bike and I noticed that when the saddlebag is open there is one wire latch which the saddlebag door catches on. There is only one and it looks like there should be two. When you pull on the latch to open the door there is something on the left side latch area that pulls back like a wire latch is missing. When you close the saddlebag door it doesn't close all the way on the side that is missing the wire latch. In looking at the saddlebag parts list it looks like they show only one required wire piece. Can someone look at my photo and tell me if we should have another one on the left side looking directly at the picture? I have circled where I think there should be another wire latch like the one on the right side. THANKS Vicki

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
vickilea

My 1500SE is just like your Aspencade so I am assuming that all wings are like this. If I was a betting man I would say your issue is an adjustment. I do have one question, does the previous owner have some of that edging around the lid as trim. I know the previous owner of my bike had that & all my doors were tough to latch.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You are missing a latch, there should be two of them on each side. Does your saddle bag on the other side have 2?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no, the other side only has one also - so that's what got us wondering if maybe they only had one to begin with. But it doesn't make sense that the door portion that pulls out has two latches but there is only 1 wire portion for it to clip onto. It looks like maybe they broke off and the prior owner never replaced it.

On the truck safety catch when you open the truck the safety wire that holds the trunk up from falling all the way back - both these cables looked like they were cut. We have ordered those replacements.

Just wasn't sure about the wire part of the latch on the saddlebag on whether there should be two or not. I think there should be so I have already ordered the replacement part which is call a "spring" on the parts order list. Crossing my fingers!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my '93 is the same as you are showing in the pic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is another picture of the latch area. The yellow area is where it looks like the wire part is missing. The red circled area is the wire latch that I'm asking about. Should there be a wire latch in the yellow circled area?

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Okay, you got my curiosity up so I went down and looked at my 99 1500A. It looks just like yours. I believe the spring tab on the rear of the bike is to, hopefully, keep the bag closed if the latch doesn't catch all the way. I would agree with fossill on the latch adjustment. You can move it in or out on the lid to make latching the cover easier or the bag closing the lid tighter. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1989 GL 1500 shows one safety "latch catch" or spring as you listed...each saddle bag just has one at the rear of each bag...Maybe that is all that is rfequired...but you have me wondering...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Our 96 SE is t same. I figure the spring is there to keep the door from flopping open when you pull the release.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
The wire spring is there to "pop" the door open when you pull the release. Only one is required.

Reactions: fossil92

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
The wire spring is there to "pop" the door open when you pull the release. Only one is required.
Funny, that's what I tried to say almost 7 years ago.

:popcorn:

:LaughHard:

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Sh*t, caught on an old thread. I knew I was losing it! :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts