Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Mercy - Another battery bites the dust. Over the last 5 - 6 years the only luck I seem to have had is bad luck with about every name brand "Maintenance Free Battery" on the market. Between my 83 CX650 Turbo, 84 GW and 96 GW, I've tried Premium Sealed Wet Cell, Sealed Gel, Lithium-Ion and even coughed up the price of a couple of AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Batteries - already replaced once under warranty. At the advertised recommendation of these "No/Low Maintenance Brick" manufacturers, I long ago purchased 3 "Intelligent Logic Controlled Battery Maintainers". As each battery ages, surprisingly the digital readout and change in the LED status lights have correctly predicted the gradual demise of each battery.

I'm seriously considering going back to the old Lead Acid battery simply because of regularly getting a good solid 3 years out of them. Are the No/Low battery manufactures using Dog Biscuits for their cell material expertly engineered to often self destruct just after the end of the warranty period ? When questioned - they all reply with their version of "That's The Saddest Battery Story We've Ever Heard"...... :)

I know battery preference is like stirring up a discussion on motor oil but what has been your experience ?
Michael

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2012 GL1800 and the original Honda battery lasted 5 years, replaced with an enclosed battery from Batteries Plus, well that lasted 2 1/2 years. Again, Just replaced with another. So on my third battery!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a 2013,
the original battery was replaced in 2017 because I was starting to get some weird charging numbers on my installed volt meter.......... felt it was fixin to crap out so replaced it with an AGM from O'Reilly's Auto Parts.......so far, so good....
still rock solid spin when you hit the starter and the numbers on the volt meter have never varied no matter the temp.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
None of the batteries last like they used to. I had one purchased at AutoZone, if I remember correctly. Warranty was 90 days, it was toast at 92 days. The last one I purchased through WalMart.com and when I get the bike out this year I'll see if it still works, that would make it four years old.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve used the $$$ Yuasa’s, and lately have switched to AGM sealed batteries because I don’t want the rusty frame anymore. I too have 1983 650 twisted twins and just buy yellow motobatt Sealed batteries from the auto parts store in town. If they last 3-4 years, I’m happy.

·
Super Moderator
9,704 Posts
I always kept all my bike's battery hooked up to a batter tender when not in use and I always seemed to get around 5 years of battery life. Sorry your luck has not been the same..

·
Super Moderator
15,144 Posts
I put an odyssey pc 680 in my 1500 wing back in 2008, I replaced it with another pc 680 in 2018, the old battery does a good job starting up the riding mower

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also bought a leftover 2012 in February of 2013. I just replaced the battery with the $$$ YUSA, not because I was having any problems, but just precautionary. I ride a lot, 60K on my bike. And, I keep it on a tender when not riding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well Mercy - Another battery bites the dust. Over the last 5 - 6 years the only luck I seem to have had is bad luck with about every name brand "Maintenance Free Battery" on the market. Between my 83 CX650 Turbo, 84 GW and 96 GW, I've tried Premium Sealed Wet Cell, Sealed Gel, Lithium-Ion and even coughed up the price of a couple of AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Batteries - already replaced once under warranty. At the advertised recommendation of these "No/Low Maintenance Brick" manufacturers, I long ago purchased 3 "Intelligent Logic Controlled Battery Maintainers". As each battery ages, surprisingly the digital readout and change in the LED status lights have correctly predicted the gradual demise of each battery.

I'm seriously considering going back to the old Lead Acid battery simply because of regularly getting a good solid 3 years out of them. Are the No/Low battery manufactures using Dog Biscuits for their cell material expertly engineered to often self destruct just after the end of the warranty period ? When questioned - they all reply with their version of "That's The Saddest Battery Story We've Ever Heard"...... :)

I know battery preference is like stirring up a discussion on motor oil but what has been your experience ?
Michael
So my original battery on mY GL1800 2009 model year lasted nearly 10 years. I replaced with a Motobatt Agm Battery and charge it every month or so . What i have noticed is on my New GL1800 because its more technically advanced with Keyless ignition it looses its charge far quicker than the old model.. When u buy a MotoBatt you will see a scan code on it which tells u the production date as some dealers dont rotate stock and presto u have an issue..my 2 cents worth from darkest Africa....

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 2012 about 2 years ago with a Motobatt MBTX20U, the reason I chose this battery is because of the Ah rating and the CCA. The Ah rating is 21 and the CCA 310.

So far its been a very good battery

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have a 2012 with the original battery still in it. Never on a tender when stored. I purchased the bike in Sept. 2012.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts