Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aug. 10-25, Sacramento to Edmonton and sights in between. Looking for serious riders. Anyone interested?

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Yikes, I just caught this. There's a few of us in the local (Edmonton) area that can sure try and hook up with you while you're here. We're liable to be on the way back from somewhere or just home from wherever that is, but keep us posted. We'll do our best to make you welcome. Have you got family in Edmonton?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes, I just caught this. There's a few of us in the local (Edmonton) area that can sure try and hook up with you while you're here. We're liable to be on the way back from somewhere or just home from wherever that is, but keep us posted. We'll do our best to make you welcome. Have you got family in Edmonton?
Sister-in-law in Millwoods. Wifes family is from Red Deer I left sunny California in '79 and have been Canadianized ever since. We always talked about retiring up there but it is pricey!

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
From the other thread:
"I've been traveling to Alberta from California since 1979; wife is a Canuck. But always in a car. The fellas going with me have never been there. So as I am planning our trip in August I realize that everything will be new for the guys; even me as I have never ridden the trip. I'm trying to plan the best trip but I take some solace in knowing that if I miss something nobody is really going to be any the wiser. Also, and I've never done this in more than 30 years of travel so I don't know for sure, but I have been told that I can submit all my receipts at the border (Canadian side) coming back down south, for GST reimbursement. Is this true?"

As far as I know, yes. You could contact Canada Customs before you leave home just in case you need to have some forms in hand but should be able to pick everything up right at the crossing. Just make sure you cross at a sizable port so as to have decent faciiities and said forms available. I don't think there's any IRS/Uncle Sam stuff to consider for that purpose.
Cool that your wife's sister is in Millwoods, and the family in Red Deer. If you think retirement up here loks pricey, you should live here full time...Waaaaaaaah:sad: Hah, just kidding, it's not that bad really.
My trip home from California all those years ago we went right up I-5 from Redding and then into Oregon (did Crater Lake and area), and then over the southern route on Hwy 3 from Osoyoos to Banff and on up #2 to home. You could do the Parkway to Jasper too if you need more mountain scenery.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you think retirement up here loks pricey, you should live here full time...Waaaaaaaah:sad: Hah, just kidding, it's not that bad really.
My trip home from California all those years ago we went right up I-5 from Redding and then into Oregon (did Crater Lake and area), and then over the southern route on Hwy 3 from Osoyoos to Banff and on up #2 to home. You could do the Parkway to Jasper too if you need more mountain scenery.
If you went through Crater then you were probably on 97 up to Biggs on the Columbia. I was sort of thinking of just gong to Spokane then up to Kingsgate as I know this route. However, I like your idea of staying on 97 up to BC and then across, with all the good stops in between. I just want to make sure we get to Vancouver on the way back so i don't want to backtrack too much.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Yeah, I sorta forget where we turned off of 5, somewhere south of Klamouth Falls I think. We crossed into BC and then headed east on 3 to the 93 junction (Cranbrook) and then up to Radium and into Banff that way. If you're headed into the Edmonton area and want to hit Vancouver on the way back, take Hwy 11 west from Sylvan Lake & Rocky Mtn House to Sask Crossing and then Trans Canada to Kamloops. Then take the Coquihala in to the Vancouver Chilliwack area. If you don't head into AB and just want some great riding, head east on the Crowsnest (#3) to Salmo and then 6 up to Nelson. Then either follow Kootenay Lake past Kaslo (you can stop over at Aisnworth Hot Springs, great spot) and rejoin 6 up to Nakusp or take 6 all the way to Nakusp from Nelson. Then head down to Fauquier and cross Arrow Lake on the Ferry and then on into Lumby and Vernon. That is without a doubt one of my favorite roads in Western Canada. Just be prepared for lots of peg scraping:icon_smile_tongue: Then you canhead north up to Kamloops and into Vancouver on the Coq, or #1/TC or back down and take #3 west some more.
Damn, now I wanna go riding...:thumb:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, now I wanna go riding...:thumb:
I've been thinking about this leg of the trip. Sorta like the idea of going through the Okanagan but we will go sort of the opposite way you mentioned. Thinking about Osoyoos up to Vernon. Any idea how far from Vernon to the ferry at Fauquier. Then the leg up to Revelstoke? Will there be fuel/lodging? Is it really worth it versus Vernon to thr #1?

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I've done that run both ways/directions. Used to camp at a site just south of Revy on Hwy23 (Blanket Creek). Fun ride but pretty much a full day (two ferry crossings: Fauquier and Shelter Bay) and lots of twisty roads along the way. Good campng at Vernon on Kalamalka Lake depending on dates/traffic last time I was there. Hwy 97 from Osooyos north right to Schuswap/Sicamous is usually a zoo even though it's 4 lane most of the time, although the back road (97a) through Armstrong and Enderby is often less traffic and nicer. Pretty much a full day either route to Revy (longest on the TC #1 though). The Trans Canada from Sicamous all the way to Calgary is usually easy to make good time on with the exception of the climb out of Golden and perhaps the Rogers Pass. No worries for fuel that I can ever recall anywhere. Nakusp is a fair size so rooms no probs there, same with most other larger stops again depending on tourist traffic. I stay on backroads for my own peace of mind and enjoyment, but use the major highways to make time on and eat miles.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Just a guess, but most of the summer traffic will have died down in most locations. However, there is Labour Day to contend with. Reserve when able to forecast ahead I'd say. You can always cancel/reschedule if timing gets off a bit.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the latest on the Sacramento/BC/Alberta ride in August. 8/10-Sac to The Dalles, OR (long day, but do-able). 8/11-The Dalles to Soap Lake to Grand Coulee Dam to Vernon , BC (another long day). 8/12-Vernon to Banff (easy cheesy). Hang out in Banff, Jasper Icefields Pkwy, Johnson Canyon, Banff Hot Springs, etc. for a few days. 8/15-Banff to Edmonton via David Thompson/Rocky Mountain House/Drayton Valley. Hang out in Edmonton for a few days, probably go to Drumheller, Castor, Coronation to visit friends. 8/19-Edmonton to Kamloops on the 16 via Jasper, Valemount. 8/20-Kamloops to Birch Bay, WA. Go up to Victoria, etc. on the 21st. 8/22-Birch Bay, south. Guys want to get back to Sac on the 23rd. Doable???

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Looks like we'll probably just miss you guys due to timing. Have a great run regardless!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like we'll probably just miss you guys due to timing. Have a great run regardless!
I suppose this is a different thread but it pertains: how do I PM you on this site? Is that one of the options that you have to pay for?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Credit Card -

Hey Calcliff, Have you considered how the money exchange rates will be calculated ? You might check with the banks on the difference in changing your money on each side of the boarder before leaving. A while back I had found that it worked out best to simply use a Major U.S. Credit Card that was accepted in Canada and let the Credit Card company handle the exchange rate.

There are lots of friendly people across the boarder and some of the most beautiful back roads you will find anywhere.

Have a nice trip....
Michael :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Calcliff, Have you considered how the money exchange rates will be calculated ? You might check with the banks on the difference in changing your money on each side of the boarder before leaving. A while back I had found that it worked out best to simply use a Major U.S. Credit Card that was accepted in Canada and let the Credit Card company handle the exchange rate.

There are lots of friendly people across the boarder and some of the most beautiful back roads you will find anywhere.

Have a nice trip....
Michael :)
Actually, I lived in Alberta for 11 years so I pretty much know where we are going-just never done it on a bike. Right now the Canadian dollar will buy .97 US; almost par. In fact, many business' often will simply take US money, especially along the border. Exchange wise, I've found it is wiser to exchange your money in Canada. It used to be that you could walk into any Canadian bank and get an up to date exchange rate. If you find a bank here in the states that will exchange, their rates are usually a week old. A lot can happen in a week. In reference to "lots of friendly people across the border" - I know, been married to one for 30 years! Looking forward to the trip. I just want to make some time the first day so we can get close to where we want to be. I keep telling the guys to remember that our goal is to tour W. Canada. They can go see some of these areas closer to home anytime.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I'd recommend setting up a foreign currency account at you own bank. I have a USD account herer and it is the cheapest way to get US $ and keep some around. All the banks charge service fees to exchange money these days (more so on cash than travellers cheques or other forms of exchange), and a separate currency account eliminates a good portion of that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts