Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.I'am new to this all. got my 06 1800 a few months ago only 5000 miles on it..LOVE IT!But from the first ride was disappointed in the ride.thought it would be much smoother & not bottom out on bump's & curbs.so I started looking at after market improvements found a company that will do front & rear.from research they look to be the ones to go with don't know if i can say brand here? since i'am new to goldwing riding I talk to local riders & all seem to not say any negative about the ride.am i expecting to much from this machine or is loyality not saying anything bad? it is a lot of money for the shocks but if it will smooth things out & stop the wife from the "OUCH" in my ear as we ride it will be well worth it. have adjusted rear in trying to help but just seem's to make it stiffer only.any help will be great! went to dealer everything is good so no problem's there.Alot of tire cupping talk so there must be something there.seems to be all brands of tires.I just don't what to waste money.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland , I can't help you on this since I have 2010 and mine seems fine

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to the site Slay. Try setting up the rear preload on your suspension to at least #22 or even all the way to 25. it's a world of difference. There have been a few reports of failures in the preload adjuster control mentioned in the Workbench section of Wingworld magazine (GWRRA publication) so it's possible that there is something needing attention on your particular bike, but try the adjuster first. Not certain about the '06 but the control should be on the right side panel of the front lower shelter (fairing) section. There are two preset/memory and then an up/down control and the settings show on the MFD on the dash.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Thank's for the welcome. have you owned other years?
No this is my first wing , I had a Harley Fat Boy and a yamaha v-star before , but the wing is the best by far

·
Registered
741 Posts
If the rear preload settings don't do it for you, stiffer springs front and rear may be in order. If you have the cash to spend on a suspension 'system' ($2.5k+) well then go for it, I'm jealous. I will be going the spring route soon. Race Tech and Traxxion seem to be popular.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The OEM front suspension is known to be less than stellar. I have an '07 which got to the point where my hands and arms were getting jarred with each bump. I just rebuilt the front forks (after 38,000 miles) and relaced the OEM springs with Progressives. It's something to consider, although I would expect the OEM springs to be OK with only 5,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The OEM front suspension is known to be less than stellar. I have an '07 which got to the point where my hands and arms were getting jarred with each bump. I just rebuilt the front forks (after 38,000 miles) and relaced the OEM springs with Progressives. It's something to consider, although I would expect the OEM springs to be OK with only 5,000 miles on them.
Curious:
1. Did you measure the sag in the front over when new?
2. Did you have the ADV shimmed? If not is it working properly?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had a 06 up till this July, damm loved that bike but to the point. Like Deputy dawg said check that anti dive valve. that little sucker can make you hurt. My wife and I load up a wing to the tune of 500 lbs. My 06 handled it find with all stock suspension.
We now each have a 2008 and love em just as much but don't ride double any more. Still stock suspension on mine and Traxion full monty on hers. But to tell the truth I don't feel the $2000.00 difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curious:
1. Did you measure the sag in the front over when new?
2. Did you have the ADV shimmed? If not is it working properly?
Thanks
tfdeputydawg:
I never measured the sag so I can't tell you how the OEM springs differed from the Progressives. I checked the ADV for proper function when I had the forks off; it is working as it should. After pressing the rear brake pedal, the ADV piston moved forward. I was then able to push the piston back in without difficulty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts