Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year the Princess and I rode from S-Cal to Alaska and back. It definitely was the trip of a lifetime. This June, I'm in the tentative stages of planning a trip From S-Cal to Key West to Maine and back. At this point the plan is to tent camp and hotel as the day and mood dictates. I'm not getting reservations or setting any particular itinerary. Just gonna point east and go.
I've never been to the east coast, can any give me some idea of camp grounds along the coast...is it doable?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
What kind of time frame are you working with ? Days, Wks, months ? What months .... makes a big difference in the South and East.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Leaving mid-june from S-Cal w/no time frame/limit. It's good to be retired!!
Loving retirement ! I would #1 Google avg. Temps in those areas you plan to travel and the weather patterns at that time of year. #2. Locate bike shops along the route and maybe verify their hours of operation, etc ! #3. I have the service/repair manual for my bike downloaded on to a memory stick and stored in my trunk (we carry a notebook computer with us ) just in case.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Also while you are Google-ing just type in Motorcyle friendly Campgrounds. I'm sure you will find plenty to search.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Download the manual to a thumb drive!!! Thats one of the best ideas I've heard. I'm going to find an electronic manual tomorrow and do just that. Good idea. Any rx on a manual?
Also, again as simple as it sounds I never thought of googleing motorcycle friendly campgrounds. I'm hoping that time of year isn't too busy along the coast (?) In Cali it definately is.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Also, again as simple as it sounds I never thought of googleing motorcycle friendly campgrounds. I'm hoping that time of year isn't too busy along the coast (?) In Cali it definately is.
They will be but if you use some planning I think you will be alright. There are plenty of them. The only place where you may struggle would be the Blue Ridge/Smokey Mts area. That gets like a Zoo.

Maybe one of our Camping type can jump in. Myself/Little lady's idea of roughing it is when the Hotel doesn't serve a Hot Breakfast so an Ole Fossil's opinion is only based on what I've been told not 1st hand info.:eek:

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Coming across the Deep South in mid-June isn't too bad. It will be hot and humid but in the low to mid 90's, not 100 yet. Unless they are in a drought June is the start of thunderstorm season in Florida. They will build up inland every afternoon. Sounds like a good trip I hope we will see some pictures!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've never been to the east coast, can any give me some idea of camp grounds along the coast...is it doable?
I stumbled on something kind of cool the other day. First, do a google search for something like "Virginia campgrounds". When it returns the results, there will be some links near the top of the page: "WEB IMAGES MAPS etc". If you click on MAPS, it will bring up a google map of Virginia (or any other state) with a ga-zillion campground locations on the map you can click on. If you could get to an internet connection a couple hours prior to the end of your ride on any particular day, this might be a good way to get a feel for what campgrounds are up ahead. Have a safe trip.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
A smart phone is your friend on trips like this for their GPS capabilities and the ability to download apps for State to State info such as campgrounds, sight-seeing, hotels, etc ! Download any app that's free and useful by State and Region . I like that I can do my banking and trip planning anytime I have a cell signal. I have apps that give me the locations of fast-food, Cracker Barrel, hospitals and of course the GPS direction to them.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I lived in Maine for eight years...Tenn. for 7 years...like mentioned above depending on the time of year camp grounds and hotels can be full. Plan ahead to avoid not having one. If you can I recommend going all the way to the top of Maine to Madawaska...they are part of the four corners tour and they are very receptive to motorcyclists.

http://madawaskafourcorners.org/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I'm taking your advice. I just laid out my ride from Key West to Boston. The short day is about 173 and the long day is about 250!! Can almost walk it :) Plan on taking my time and spending some days at certain stops. For instance, I'll be staying 2 days at Key West. I'll be booking ahead so I don't run into any issues. In zooming in on the coast, my plan is not to follow the necessarily direct route, but, rather to stay as close to the coast as possible. So, some Ferry's are involved and some toll roads. No big deal. Also, the princess has me convinced to skip New York city and DC so that later we can make them a full dedicated fly in trip.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Also, the princess has me convinced to skip New York city and DC so that later we can make them a full dedicated fly in trip.
Smart gal and unless you're planning on sightseeing in Boston, it's also a zoo for riding in. Actually, I've never ridden in Boston but have driven in my car. I used to live near there in Nashua, New Hampshire and drove down to the city many times and knew my way around. However that was over 40 years ago. Now if I go to Boston, it's to Logan Interntional Airport. Seem's like I always make the wrong turn coming out of the tunnel under the river and end up in downtown Boston trying to find my way out. In the past it's been an exercise in futility. Perhaps you're a better navigator than me. :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
My wife was in Boston a couple years ago for a family wedding. She and her sister did the navigating and driving respectively. She said she'd have been hooped without the GPS!:eek:
Mig, I envy you're retirement abilities!:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts