1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
466 Posts
That is the famous "Yellow Wolf". He resides on gl1800riders forums.
He now has another bike and has a get together planned up there I hear.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That is the famous "Yellow Wolf". He resides on gl1800riders forums.
He now has another bike and has a get together planned up there I hear.
Actually, he has been at it for a few years. Some how he is still alive, I think. :eek:
At one time he would follow behind you and video your ride of the Dragon, he really didn't care how fast you wanted to go. The charge was the same, fast or slow!!! I'm not sure if he still offers this service or not.

As far as enforcement goes only a few hundred feet of the highway used for speed is in NC. Therefor, best be aware of the two agencies that patrol the area. The Tenn HP and the Blount county deputies, either will bust your chops in a second. Of course if you are not riding like a fool and placing other motorist in danger you probably don't have very much to worry about other than some idiot sliding under your front wheel or running over you from the rear.

If you want to dodge most of the road course wantabies the
best times to cruise the highway is Monday-Thrusday, unless there is a car or bike rally underway.

Make sure and visit the store at Deals Gap. The walls a full of pictures of various accidents.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
What's nice about the video is showing what a Wing is capable of, albeit, from a video view only. It doesn't embolden me to ride that way, but it makes me more confident that the Wing can do it if I would let her.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am no way as talented on a Wing as Yellow Wolf but, few years ago was there w/a few fellow riders on my 2000 Wing. Stopped just before entering the Gap from the North end.
Had a young man w/less that 6months riding experience w/us. Told him as nicely as possible not to attempt to stay w/me.
When I got to the resort, I was off the bike, sitting out the store, smoking(yes I've quit) when he finally pulled in.
He said there is no way you can ride a Wing that way.
Those were the days! But, alas, no more dragging "stuff" in the corners! Nothing left to prove to anybody, Just a little time to enjoy the rides.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
That bike was recently for sale on another forum. Nice piece of history. I love the Dragon, but my daughter (the passenger) hates it. I wonder why??? LOL..

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just thought it was interesting to see a Wing doing that. I wouldn't do it for anything or even try. My days of leaping tall buildings in a single bound are on the wane. I personally don't have the confidence in the tires and their gripping ability to try anything like that. All my tires have pristine "Chicken Strips" and I like it that way. Smelling the roses is a lot better than eating them and thats what I would be doing if I tried that. It's not that I wouldn't like to be able to do that but whether its wisdom or fear, I don't want to do that. I enjoy riding and I like to get wherever I am going in one piece and see and smell the sights along the way. I like to explore so when I come to a fork in the road, I take it. I don't like riding on gravel roads or in big cities on crowded, pot hole filled slabs of concrete surrounded by texting cagers. What I find interesting about all this is that the Wing you are sitting on is not the Wing you are riding on. Its way more nimble than it appears and for the most part very comfortable too. So, if I ever make it to the Dragons Tail, which I hope to someday, I will be the guy putzing around in the slow side of the road looking out for the evil kinevels of cycledom but at the same time taking in the sights and smells of what appears to be a beautiful area. I try to treat every day as if it's my last cause one day it will be.:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
There's no doubt that Yellow Wolf is a very accomplished rider, as is the fellow chasing him and doing the filming. As long as anyone that is will ing to follow his lead is aware that things like tree limbs, leaves and sand patches are laying in wait to ensnare the unwary or unskilled rider things are good. Nothing like coming into a tight corner on the edge of the envelope and have your scoot slide out from under you. Happened to me in Northern Washington some years back. On a deserted road near Sherman Pass we came over a ridge (b-in-law on his Interceptor and me on the 1200) and into a left hand sweeper and the pavement disappeared. Some very nice road crew had taken a 200' chunk of the road out (never finished the patching obviously) and we were in about 4" of loose gravel at about 45 mph. Neither of us went down but it was real hair raising. You haven't lived until you've done a dirt trackers slide on a 800# touring bike.:eek:
I still ride aggressively lots of the time, but not in YW's class by any means. If I did get to ride The Dragon, I'd be scraping parts too, but not to prove anything to anyone, just for the personal high.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
It is my understanding that Yellow wolf has done a Saddle Sore (1000 mile in 24 hour or less) Iron Butt run on the Dragon. The gas station stayed open for him and the Dragon was mostly deserted. Iron Butt told him they would not certify the run because his average speed had to be higher than 30 which is the posted limit.
I have done the Dragon on my 1200 and after a up and back I was a bit dizzy (ok so I am always :D ) There is NO WAY I could do that. Cant wait for me and my girl friend (who lives in my garage and gets along with my wife) can get there again!

This is his words...I found this on a post he did on another Forum....

the 24 hrs of deals gap
1001.7 miles
23 hrs and 52 min
29,786 turns
avg. 19 mpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got back from Blue Ridge Parkway and the Dragon.

We got to the Dragon 1pm on a Monday weather was great. 12 Porsche's pull in took some pictures and headed North thought this would be a good group to follow. There were three of us, my wife and I on a 08 GW, two other couples one on Ultra Classic the other on a Boss Hoss. Could not of been happier with my wing never touched a peg, the HD pipes were draging and BH boiled the brake fluid and had to stop. Got dozens of pictures from the three photographers on the route. Never saw a cop had a couple scary moments hoping the missles coming the other way stuck coming out of the corners. The highlight of the trip was the 100 pound female with a long ponytail on a CBR draging her knees that I waved by. Pushed hard to keep up with her for three corners and she was gone. Must be getting old it didn't bother me. Shortly after we got back to Deals Gap a tractor trailer came thru now that would have been scary meeting him.

Pro-X

1 - 11 of 11 Posts