Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, brand newbie here, I have a '86 GL1200A, its a project bike that hadn't run in years, has 21K miles, fuel system was not varnished . I had drained and refilled fuel tank,
pulled carbs out and cleaned out fuel bowls, replaced needle and seat and set float level to specs. Starts and runs but is running rich. In fact ,I don't need to set the choke
to start up cold. Choke valves move so I didn't mess up the linkage re installing carb set. Any ideas where to start looking?

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
You might want to look at the air intake for a start. Make sure the filters are not gunked up.

·
Premium Member
11,289 Posts
When you first start the motor, see if one header pipe get hot before the other header pipe. One carby may have a sticking needle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I start it cold, it fires right up as a warm engine would, without using the choke. All 4 spark plugs are carboned up equally, with 4 miles on new plugs.Can anyone shed light on what the secondary air supply system's function? Also has anyone had a problem with the starter valves? It seems like it affects all the cylinders equally, which is why the secondary air supply and all the vaccuum system underneath the carbs has my attention. But I haven't found any theory of operation on these systems. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Tarzan - Did you get your carbs sorted out ? The secondary air system dumps air into the exhaust under heavy deceleration with the throttle closed. It is easily checked by inspecting for one of the "under side vacuum diaphragms" being split or a small vacuum line has broken off. The secondary air system is not normally a problem with running rich - but running too lean.....

Perhaps you could try setting the floats so they shut off the fuel sooner - just as a test. I found on one 4 cylinder GW project that the float height had not been set with the fuel bowl gasket installed. Once the fuel float shut off point was adj a little earlier, she ran like new and I was able to move on to the brakes.

Keep us posted, Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
99 Posts
I support adjusting the float bowls lower too. Or, a full rebuild with ultrasonic clean to open up/confirm all the passageways (air and fuel) in the carbs. Had a 6 carb Valkyrie work that way for me once. It was a real trick finding out that all six carbs were too high, by VERY LITTLE. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts