Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just trying to find out why my 85 Goldwing Aspencade is running rough or it seems not to be firing on the front two cyliners. Her is what I know so far. I bought the bike in June 2011 and had no problems. Then it seemed to start spuddering in 1rst and 2nd gear. then I thought that the carbs might be dirty so I used a can of Sea Foam with a tank of gas. Then it seemed to be running better then all of a sudden I was riding for about 40 minutes around 22 miles, then I stopped for a couple of minutes shut off he bike then I got back on and started the bike and took off then that is when it started. It was like it was running on two cylinders. WOW! I had to ride back 22 miles. Could use all the advise I could get Really don't want o take it to a shop but if I must I must. I am pretty much mechaniclly inclined. Thanks and God Bless for all the Help.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Could be your coils as you have two of them and one controls the front two cylinders and the other the back two. Check your spark plug wires to make sure they are making good contact.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Another thing is fuel. Did you pull the plugs to see if the cylinders are firing. If plugs look ok then check fuel side. Filter, check fuel pump pressure, etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
I'm going to say it is a possible electrical problem. Electrical connectors being the first place to look, clean the connectors well and use dielectric grease on them, make sure they fit tight. Check grounds for loose connections and make sure there surface is clean.
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked connections and all seem to be good. Looked at Plugs and they seem to be OK! I did cut a small piece of the two wires going to the spark plugs and reset he boots on hem and it is still the same. I have tried to switching the leads on the coils so that the ones that are not firing on on the sides that are firing, but i have on Problem. One coil has two plug wires, one that goes to the front left and on to the back right. They will not cross over. Now anoter problem with getting the coils out I can't seem to get 2 screws out of the Air Filter housing that goes into the carb housing, so that I can completely take out the coils. any Ideas. I have tried to use a screw driver under the plastic housing where the screws are and prying up on on it and the screws seem to be either stripped or something, they will not come out. ?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Easy things first, have you checked the fuel filter? Maybe you got a tank of bad gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh I have changed fuel filter and have some new gas in it right now. When I changed the fuel filter i went to Autozone and picked up a new fuel filter that was comparable to the one I had on the Wing.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Plugs looked OK? Did you remove each one and ground it to the head and look for a spark while starting. ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I did pull the plug and I actually did it at night to give me an advantage for seeing the Blue arc that should have been there, and there was no a spark. Could both coils be bad or could it be the Pulse Generator?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Could be the pulse generator. I had to replace mine. I think there is a test for it. If you have a manuel it should be in there. If you don't have one.....get me a bit and I will try to look it up for you...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If Bama doesn't get you the info, PM me and I'll look it up on the dealer site. Your plug leads/wires/caps could also be the culprit so check them for current as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Yes, the pulse generators go bad and to test them you'd check them for resistance.
Between the wire pairs White/yellow & yellow for #1&2 cylinders and the white/blue and blue for #3&4 cylinders. The resistance in the coils should be between 1,100-1,300 ohms @68 F.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks. I really dont want to sound ignorant but the wires which to test for the resistance is the two wires on the back of the coils RIGHT. And How to you PM on this forum site?

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Ok thanks. I really dont want to sound ignorant but the wires which to test for the resistance is the two wires on the back of the coils RIGHT. And How to you PM on this forum site?
The wires are alongside the ones for the stator on the left hand side of the bike under the same cover as the battery. When you undo the four place connector you want to test the pulse generator side.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Sorry Jayman for not getting back to you. I have the electronic version of the 1200 manuals and I was trying to send one to you but the file is too large. I tried to zip it down but it still was too large to send on here. You really need to invest in a paperback manual if you can. I have seen them on ebay. It tells you step by step how to do the test for a non starting engine and it has pictures too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts