Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a pre-season check of the air filter (found and removed a few seeds, filter clean and intact), checked the oil, tires, etc... then took some easy laps around the block. i pulled back in the driveway, and it acted a little funny. i pulled up to my shed, and all the sudden it sounded like it is missing on at least one cylinder. i pulled it into the shed, even though she didn't want to go, and as soon as i put it in neutral, it died. the temp gauge was normal, so i don't think it was overheating, though the right valve cover was hotter than the left, and that's where odd noises seemed to be coming from. i restarted it, and it sounded the same. it pops, or pings when it first starts. my father couldn't hear that, but his hearing is crap.
his deduction was bad gas, so i added some dry-gas/cleaner to the tank. ran it enough for it to pickup the dry-gas, and shut it down. we will see in the morning what it does. when i can afford it, i will buy a can full of premium gas (what i usually run. it just runs better.)

so, thoughts are, bad gas, or somehow i broke a new timing belt. i would hope it is just bad gas, but i fear it is something else.
what do you all think? i am afraid to take it back on the street until this is sorted. (just put the registration sticker on today...)

~Travis

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most likely water accumulation in the fuel. Fuel stabilizer in the tank before storage is always a good idea.

If it is water, the gas dryer will work on it soon enough.

You routinely use premium grade fuel? Not really the best idea in my opinion. It is a cooler running fuel and as such does not fully ignite on every stroke and leaves deposits in the cylinder. Those deposits can cause poor idle and less performance in an engine that is designed for 87 octane fuel. Unless you have pre-ignition problems, the only thing premium fuel does is lighten your wallet.

My guess it is just a fuel issue. Seafoam, Techron, or Gumout gas treatment are your friend when poor driveability like this occurs.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely water accumulation in the fuel. Fuel stabilizer in the tank before storage is always a good idea.

If it is water, the gas dryer will work on it soon enough.

You routinely use premium grade fuel? Not really the best idea in my opinion. It is a cooler running fuel and as such does not fully ignite on every stroke and leaves deposits in the cylinder. Those deposits can cause poor idle and less performance in an engine that is designed for 85 octane fuel. Unless you have pre-ignition problems, the only thing premium fuel does is lighten your wallet.

My guess it is just a fuel issue. Seafoam, Techron, or Gumout gas treatment are your friend when poor driveability like this occurs.
interesting, i was always told higher octane burns hotter, hence why i used it. if that is so, i will use 85o fuel to fill the tank from now on.

i usually do use fuel stabilizer every fall, but forgot to, or didn't have any this last fall. fall kinda snuck up on me for some reason.

seems odd that it would run great, then all of the sudden turn to :poop:, without warning. maybe it just took that long for the water bubble to work it's way to the fuel pickup.

Thanks,

~Travis

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: after the dry gas sat in the carbs overnight, it started and ran much better. i still have not filled the tank with 85o fuel, but will do so after the next paycheck.
if the carbs and gas tank were easier to get to, i would drain both, before filling with new fuel.

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Just as an FYI, I never ran anything less than 87 octane in my Wings. I never used 85 but maybe it would work. Maybe others would have an idea about that.

BTW, the Vette doesn't like anything less than 93 octane..

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Since you really don't ride very much I'd be looking for an Ethanol free source. I use that in all my small engines and also any motor that doesn't get regular use or is older. It has stopped a lot of my problems with getting things started after sitting. Most is 89 octane but that would be fine for your bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,133 Posts
Since you really don't ride very much I'd be looking for an Ethanol free source. I use that in all my small engines and also any motor that doesn't get regular use or is older. It has stopped a lot of my problems with getting things started after sitting. Most is 89 octane but that would be fine for your bike.
Or at least start using a methanol treatment, such as Sta-bil or Star Tron

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or at least start using a methanol treatment, such as Sta-bil or Star Tron
i use, or normally use Sta-bil when i put it into storage. should i also add some with every fill-up, or just keep up with the pre-storage dosing?
I forgot this year, and now i think i am paying for it.

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I wouldn't worry about adding it at every tank. You may want to use some Seafoam for a few tanks to help clean everything up.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree with Mark. Unless you are certain you won't be riding for a while. I usually just put it in the last tank before it hits the shed for the winter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put a 1/2 can of seafoam, when ever I plan on taking a long ride and I know that I'll be burning up a tank of fuel that day... I like the idea of my injectors being very, very clean always....Plus for the winter hibernation period I alway add stabilizer in the fuel before shutting off the key for the season (run it long enough to get the stabli into the injectors ...) I see way too many guys, not do any prevention , and just put it away without doing anything, for the three /four months.. That's when the troubles begin................:eek::eek:

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put a 1/2 can of seafoam, when ever I plan on taking a long ride and I know that I'll be burning up a tank of fuel that day... I like the idea of my injectors being very, very clean always....Plus for the winter hibernation period I alway add stabilizer in the fuel before shutting off the key for the season (run it long enough to get the stabli into the injectors ...) I see way too many guys, not do any prevention , and just put it away without doing anything, for the three /four months.. That's when the troubles begin................:eek::eek:

Ronnie
i usually do Sta-bil at the end of the season, but this time i forgot. now i am paying for it.

~Travis

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
All Wings are engineered to run on 87 octane fuel. Running premium all the time only serves the refineries, not you or your bike. I'd keep using the fuel treatment until the runability improves to what it should be.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
took it for another ride, after filling up with regular grade gas (84, 87, i don't remember), and added more dry-gas as i don't have any seafoam, or Sta-bil yet. i mounted my GoPro clone to see how it handled the ride, though as the video is 2.9GB off the camera, it may take a bit to edit it down, and i don't know how much audio it gathered inside the waterproof housing.

when the engine was still just waking up (warmed up, but not yet at full running temp), everything would run great. after riding a while though, it would intermittently stumble all over itself at low speed maneuvers. i mostly rode a loop for a while, trying to get the bad gas worked out, but it still persisted, and seemed to get worse.

i am starting to wonder if it is bad gas, or some sort of fuel delivery issue. don't remember the last time i changed the fuel filter... don't even remember where it is. wondering about the fuel pump as well. any reason it would have intermittent issues at slow speed? once i get her up to speed (eventually), it seems to smooth out. but it struggles sometimes to get there.

~Travis

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
It might be just the opposite of what you’re thinking. If some critter built a nest inside your air filter over the winter causing it to run rich (mouse choke per se) it might cause this. At higher RPM it can handle a rich mixture but slower RPM causes issues. Of course it could by a myriad of things but I think gas is the focus.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It might be just the opposite of what you’re thinking. If some critter built a nest inside your air filter over the winter causing it to run rich (mouse choke per se) it might cause this. At higher RPM it can handle a rich mixture but slower RPM causes issues. Of course it could by a myriad of things but I think gas is the focus.
already checked the air filter. it had a few seeds i cleaned out before any ride this year, and i washed and lightly oiled the air filter (K&N recharge kit). besides, if it was rich, i would smell gas when stopped at an intersection, i would think.

~Travis

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
already checked the air filter. it had a few seeds i cleaned out before any ride this year, and i washed and lightly oiled the air filter (K&N recharge kit). besides, if it was rich, i would smell gas when stopped at an intersection, i would think.

~Travis
Yes you "might" smell gas. Just curious if you checked the air intake as well as the filter box.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes you "might" smell gas. Just curious if you checked the air intake as well as the filter box.
yes, i did. i lifted the filter element out when i recharged it, and the intakes were clean.

(ride video is uploading... currently at 58%, after an hour. slow internet connection...)

~Travis

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, i did. i lifted the filter element out when i recharged it, and the intakes were clean.

(ride video is uploading... currently at 58%, after an hour. slow internet connection...)

~Travis

if anybody is interested... may have to use headphones to hear the engine, but beware of bike vibration pops. they are kinda loud. camera audio is pretty much crap when inside the waterproof housing.

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
From what I can hear on the video, the engine seems to be running on all cylinders. I would just try to run as much of that gas through as possible and fill it up with fresh treated with Startron.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts