Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My running light on my 94 1500 are not working. Just bought this bike and the guy I purchased it from said they never worked for him. Is there something I can check to to see why these lights are not working? How do I take off the front faring or do I need to in order to get to the lights to make sure the it's just not the bulbs. Might there be something I'm missing to turn these lights on?

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Before you do any dismantling.....My lights went off for no apparent reason just recently and some of the guys on this forum suggested spraying Contact Cleaner from Radio Shack on and flushing the control panel. This may help.....If it doesn't, then you can dismantle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EFINREF thanks for the response. "flushing the control panel"? what are you referring to here. I'm new to the Wing World and not sure where anything is really. From my understanding the lights on the bottom of the fairing of my 94 SE are called corning lights? Do they only come on when the blinker is on?

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I have an 1800...My switch that controls the running lights is on the left side of the tank. I think the 1500's switch may be on the handle bars themselves. You would spray the cleaner on the switch that controls the running lights....be sure put a towel under to catch the flush out, keep it off your bike.

I don't know anything about the corning lights. Hang around here a little while longer...some of the 1500 guys will know more about that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just doing a google search for some info and came across a switch that I don't have. It's called the Passing Light Control switch. Is this on the GL1500 or just for GL1800s? I found this info in my manual.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello, My running light on my 94 1500 are not working. Just bought this bike and the guy I purchased it from said they never worked for him. Is there something I can check to to see why these lights are not working? How do I take off the front faring or do I need to in order to get to the lights to make sure the it's just not the bulbs. Might there be something I'm missing to turn these lights on?
When I had a GL1500 the lights only came on when the turn signal was on. It was a cornering light. I installed seperate running lights that mounted on the front of the bike under the headlight. There is a mounting bracket for add on lights.
I think there was a kit that could be wired in to convert the corning lights into running lights but I am not sure of that. Again mine only came on with the turn signal. Did you check that and see it they worked when the turn signal(s) was on? :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if you have an se those are not running lights but cornering lights and come on and go off with the the turn signals. some have converted them to stay on all the time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW you guys are right. Just checked to see if the lights work with the Turn Signals on... Yes they do. Now how can I convert them to be on all the time?

·
Registered
145 Posts
WOW you guys are right. Just checked to see if the lights work with the Turn Signals on... Yes they do. Now how can I convert them to be on all the time?

http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/haloz.htm
Try this site. I got a conversion kit from them for my GL1800 that allowed the running lights to stay on when the high beams are on.
I would call them and talk to them, they were helpful to me when I contacted them. Good luck:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the info. I've read so many postings on converting my corner lights to always on lights I'm really confused as to how this is done. Relays, Fuse Blocks, connectors. I have no electrical experience at all. Just looking for the easiest way to convert this corner lights to always on lights.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
mark that on your calender, i was right for a change:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I found this on another forum but not sure it will work. Can someone say otherwise?

"Converting the GL1500SE cornering lights into running lights. Firstly locate the relays for the cornering lights. They are located under the fairing lower panels. On some models they may be both on the same (right) side close to the radiator. Follow the wiring from the relays to the connector blocks. On the bikes side of the loom locate the light blue/white wire for one side of the bike and orange/white wire for the other side.

Cut these wires and the cornering lights will come on when the ignition is switched on. If you put a small switch on each wire you can switch back to cornering light operation whenever you want, or if your charging system and battery become weak. The wires draw less than one amp, so low current switches will do"

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i read that on another forum as well. i never wanted to convert my cornering lghts because i had planned on adding some driving lights. if you look at the profile of the beam of light from the cornering lights its off to the side not in front of you where you need it to be. so having them on full time may help you get noticed by a cager it won't light up the road much

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Detdrbuzzard, I understand that the corner light is design for cornering. No problem them. I also heard the more light you have in front of you, the easier it is for on coming cars to see you. I really am not looking to light up the road ahead of me (yet) just want to be seen. Maybe a set of driving lights are the better way to go. Anyone have any thoughts on installing Driving lights instead of converting the corner lights?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the good is that if you do decided to get driving lights that the cornering lights can be changed back so thats no big deal

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info. I've read so many postings on converting my corner lights to always on lights I'm really confused as to how this is done. Relays, Fuse Blocks, connectors. I have no electrical experience at all. Just looking for the easiest way to convert this corner lights to always on lights.
Personally I would leave the existing lights alone and just add the running lights with the mounting bar. You can get the lights at any auto store or walmart and install the swithch. That is what I did on my 1200 & 1500's. Alot less wiring, no relays, and just put an inline fuse in the power source. Good luck on what ever you do.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts