Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my 87 GL1200 on the freeway when I saw a car coming up from behind. I noticed he was traveling at a good speed so I moved to the right side of the slow lane. I was approaching an off ramp (which I was not going to take) when all of the sudden the car swerved to take the off ramp. This forced me to swerve to the right onto the berm. I hit the brakes to take the offramp vs. laying the bike down when I noticed the off ramp was a 90 degree turn. I leaned the best I could into the turn and got it slowed to about 10MPH but I hit the curb and layed it down. Luckily the area the bike and I landed was a mix of grass and sand. By the way, the car kept going.....Anyway, I got the bike stood up and it started right away. I was OK except for a few scratches. I rode the bike home and assessed the damage. Cracked fairing, bent drivers foot peg, scratches across the left saddlebag and trunk. The problem is now the bike seems to run rough. It seems to start OK, but after it warms up, and it throttles up, the bike runs really rough. Almost like it is not firing on all cylinders. Could it be that for the 2 minutes the bike was laying on it's side the spark plugs were fouled?

Thank in advance.....:)

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
With this kind of fault can be very hard to locate and you have to start some where. First I don't think it will be fouled plugs but they are easy to check. Pull the plugs out and if one or two are black which would indicate that they are not firing properly. If you have spare plugs put them in and see what happens. If one plug is black and it runs rough after replacing it, put a spare plug into the lead and start the motor on the other 3 cylinder so as to check how good the spark is. If the spark is weak, check both ends of the plug leads. If it's still got a weak spark, swap the coils over and test the spark. If you get a good spark then it's the coil or the lead. It would be a good idea to then start checking vacum lines because they can become brittle and having taken a bit of knock and may have opened up. What I do to find out which cylinder is not pulling it's weight is to pull all the spark plug leads of the plugs and just rest them on the plugs. Then use pliers to lift the lead off the plug and the cylinder that it makes little difference too is the cylinder where you have the problem. I am sorry this has happened to you. You just don't know if they were drunk, druged or have mental illness. Thats not the behavior of someone with all his marbles. Eric

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sorry to hear you layed her down! I have had a similar experience and the bike was ok except minor dings and such. I dont have a lot to add but I know the guys here will help you!!! I hope you are ok as well!!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Sorry you got dumped.

I don't think it would have mattered what you did, this guy was ignorant, drunk or both.

I always stay in the right groove when I am in the slow lane to make cagers respect my space. Moving over seems almost like an invitation to crowd me or cut me off.
Holding my position might work most of the time but in truth, it is an illustion. We have no defense against them if they decide to take it.

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
Does the bike still idle fine when warm?

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Sorry to hear about you going down and glad you weren't hurt. I think Chopin might be right, but not sure.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,418 Posts
Just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about you being forced off the road. Damn shame some people don't know that there are others on the road. Our only hope is that their karma will catch up with them.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My guess is it's carb related, I don't thinkthe 1200s had an angle sensor that could trigger or act up. If they do, simply cycling the key on and off once should reset it. Check your plugs and make sure there are no cracks in the insulators due to the impact of the crash. Same with all your plug wires and the respective plug ins on both ends. Sorry Oscar Grope ruined your day, at least he didn't ruin your life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the support. I am glad I was able to slow down a bit before laying it down or it would have been a lot worse. I was thinking the carbs or something as it was laying on the downward slope of a hill on the of the off ramp.

I think it does have an angle sensor. I am going to pull the plugs and wires this weekend for starters. I will keep you posted.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

I checked the spark plugs and plug wires. They both look good. I am wondering what and how to check the carbs?

Thank you in advance....

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I'll have to turn you over to a carb technicians. 90% of the riders here are running carbs so we should be able to find a least one.

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
Compint, does the bike still idle fine when warm? If it does and only runs rough when you throttle it up, you might have a plugged fuel filter. I know it sounds crazy, but dumping it might have stirred up sediment in the tank, plugging the filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,803 Posts
The fuel filter is accessed through the fuel/top compartment doors. It is on the right hand side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, when the bike is idling it sounds fine. When you give it gas, at about 2000 rpm is when it starts to sound rough. I will check/replace the fuel filter. When I had the bike serviced in the spring they put a new filter on about a year ago. I will keep you posted.:)

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I wonder is it possible the engine starved for oil in that short time and maybe sustained damage in one cylinder or something ? Just wondering !

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 1200's do have a bank sensor..at least my '87 does..not sure about my 84 Standard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts