Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my '06 there is a rumbling noise for 5 seconds or so and then it disappears. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
When was the oil changed last?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Rumbling Noise -

Hey Calcliff, I have noticed a similar unusual rumble at times - it turned out to be my empty stomach..... :) It could be that the 1800's are just too quiet.

Michael

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Details are a bit too sketchy to give much of an opinion on this IMO. REmember, 'most' engines require a few seconds to settle in after start-up before they smooth out. Now if it's a deep mechanical knock then that's a whole different issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
The clutch plates and once the oil circulates the sound goes away?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Details are a bit too sketchy to give much of an opinion on this IMO. REmember, 'most' engines require a few seconds to settle in after start-up before they smooth out. Now if it's a deep mechanical knock then that's a whole different issue.
Not a deep mechanical knock. It could be a simple start-up rumble of some kind. Only have about 3k on the oil change. Maybe it is the clutch just getting oiled up; I don't know.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
The old start up " Growl " ? It goes by many names , but I'm pretty sure we are talking the same language. I was told by veteran riders that it's an oil distribution process, not an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had that sound last summer, problem got progressively worse as miles ran up, bike is in the shop for alternator drive gears. ( requires engine removal!! 71k miles)

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I had that sound last summer, problem got progressively worse as miles ran up, bike is in the shop for alternator drive gears. ( requires engine removal!! 71k miles)
I'll look forward to it. 37,000 and counting. I'm warranty covered until Feb. 2016. I better start riding .

·
Registered
344 Posts
That may be what the dealer tells you but you can easily remove the alternator in an 1800 without removing the engine. I have done it in my '08.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.