Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend the summers in NE Ohio on Lake Erie and the roads here are pretty bad. The railroad crossings are even worse and there are lots of them. My trike is a 2006.
Its drives nice on good roads and steers fine but these ruff roads here are brutal and this bike takes bumps petty hard. The worst thing is the RR tracks. The handle bar shakes 20160121_085751.jpg 20160812_074743.jpg back and forth so violently that it is impossible to hold them. I have been thinking about putting a steering dampener on it. Any comments?

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
I think before I did that I would jack the front up, maybe across the frontof the frame (that's how I generally jack my 1500 up).

Once you get the front wheel off the ground, check your steering head for play in the bearings. I can't tell if your trike has the raked front end (looking at this on my phone). I have heard that the raked front ends can be tough on bearings.

This is as always just one Ole Fossil's opinion

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does that trike still have the ADV valve on it?

One part of your issue may be that it's stuck and causing a very harsh ride.

That alone would not make the handlebars shake out of your hands, but over time it could contribute to significant wear of other parts, like the head bearings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think before I did that I would jack the front up, maybe across the frontof the frame (that's how I generally jack my 1500 up).

Once you get the front wheel off the ground, check your steering head for play in the bearings. I can't tell if your trike has the raked front end (looking at this on my phone). I have heard that the raked front ends can be tough on bearings.

This is as always just one Ole Fossil's opinion
Ok so I raised it up and there is no play in the steering and the bearings seem fine.

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
The ADV that @tamathumper is referring to is the anti-dive valve.

There is a bypassing procedure that one of the 1800 guys can chime in how to accomplish.

Another question what is the condition of the front tire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I raised thr front and checked for play in the bearings and everything is solid. The tire is good too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts