Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed these and the lid is very tight. Takes considerable pressure to close the trunk and the remote won't pop it open. Also the release lever is very stiff and requires the lid to be pressed down a little to release it. Trunk open warning messsage is on everytime I open the trunk but a slap on the lid gets rid of it.
Will the bumpers compress a little over time and the lid work better?

I get the door open with all the bags a lot, normal? Always having to slap one of them to get rid of the message. :mad:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What year is your Wing Sj? Yes you would think there is a way to adjust the open door thing. I get it a lot.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
If the bumpers are silicone chances are they won't compress. Felt one's will.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Alright. Going to ask the question. Must be a gl1800 thing. Never before have I heard of them. What are rubber baby buggy bumpers?
Just curious

LOL

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Just installed these and the lid is very tight. Takes considerable pressure to close the trunk and the remote won't pop it open. Also the release lever is very stiff and requires the lid to be pressed down a little to release it. Trunk open warning messsage is on everytime I open the trunk but a slap on the lid gets rid of it.
Will the bumpers compress a little over time and the lid work better?

I get the door open with all the bags a lot, normal? Always having to slap one of them to get rid of the message. :mad:
I too installed the buggy bumpers. I too found the closing a bit tight immediately after installing them. I took a hand file and 45 " degreed " the top of the bumpers on a slant where they make contact with the closing trunk edge rim. Worked for me. Should have installed them back in 08.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did the same thing chopin did, only I used a dremel tool. Still have to pull down on it a little but I did not want to take to much off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used some leftover (~.030" thick) PTFE based tape on the lid at the chaffing points. Worked fantastic and didn't change the fit of the lid.

=LJ=

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
It's inside the trunk (the chafing that is)....and frankly Scarlett I don't give a damn....

Trunk works fine without them....But my saddle bag lids do require the "love tap" once in a while to get rid of the message. No biggie...you get used to it.

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got it from work; we were cleaning up excess material from a previous project and I kept one roll. It's surface is very slick and the adhesive is strong but removable. The tape stays very clean without picking up dirt like other tapes or felt would. I measured the thickness just now and it's 6.5mils thick. I guess I'm not good at guessing thickness. :rolleyes:

After looking it up on-line, I just realized this may not be a very good solution. A single roll is going for ~$60. :eek: Unless you want to try ebay, I found a lot of three rolls for $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Vinyl-Ta...138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a0b6429a

=LJ=

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well with the bumpers installed along with a stiff fuel line ran thru the seal, I still have a rattle on every bump. When I examine the trunk and lid, I can't isolate any loose parts, I am wondering if there could be something loose between the inner trunk lid and the outer? It's not a super big issue but if I could stop it, I would sure like to.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try this;
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800trunklidfix.htm
This is what I did on mine a couple years ago and the trunk has been fine since. I didn't notice any difference in how it opens or closes at all.
Thanks for the link but as I said in the previous post, I did put a stiff fuel hose thru the trunk lid seal and I got that idea from that link a while back.

It's one of those things that I might not be able to solve and will have to just live with. Hose in the lid seal, bumpers and you still hear a rattle on every bump. Everything appears tight inside, the only thing I can think of is that something is loose between the outer lid and the inner trunk lid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.