Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just bought a 06-GL1800 with 85k miles on it. The guy I got it from was the original owner and he maintain the bike very well. Had a service history and the bike was kept in a garage with his other toys. No fading or major rusting parts. There are like two small brown stop on the front of the engine right behind the front wheel, but I think thats a plastic cover.

Anyways I am about 6'2 and 250, the bike has all standard equipment. Beside a cup holder it doesn't have anything else. Its a non-abs, non-airbag and no navigation. I think its the base model.

However when the OD light comes on I am doing 50mph at 2k rpm....and if i want to go 65mph it will go up to 3k...Now I know i am new to this bike. But I have been riding for about ten years, and this doesn't seem right. Is it a bad air filter? Spark plugs? Clutch? I mean I know if a bike is laden down it will rev higher, but a GL1800/HD-RG/BMW-K1600 these bike don't mind a hefty rider.

I don't know, I feel like 1.8L flat 6 shouldn't be struggling with a heavy guy. Appreciate any input you guys have, I like to know a thing or two before taking it to the mechanic.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The RPMs ranges you list don't have anything to do with load, those are simply the RPMs dictated by the gearing and the size of the rear tire.

If you're accelerating and shifting into 5th gear at 2000 RPMs I'd say that's way too low. You should be shifting into 5th gear at something more like 3000 RPMs, or even higher.

Reactions: Ray Anderson

·
Registered
148 Posts
Your drive line is all mechanical. The speed and engine RPM are solidly linked and the ratio determined by transmission and final drive gearing. What I am saying is that, regardless of the fuel system, air induction system or ignition system conditions, the RPM at 65 MPH will not be affected. If one of those systems is struggling, you might have to twist the grip more to get to 65 MPH but since you didn't have this bike new, you really don't know if you are twisting harder or not.

Same with payload. You may have to "give it more gas" with 500lbs on board than with 195 lbs, but the RPM doesn't change. The MPG likely will though.

I don't think your bike is struggling. I'm a little heavier than you. I can roll on in fifth gear from 35 and shoot right up to 55 without really thinking about it. But if I want more acceleration, I can easily drop down to third.

Not saying that you shouldn't go ahead and do air filter, tappet clearance check, spark plugs, etc. but none of that will change the engine speed to highway speed ratio.

·
Registered
Голд винг 1800 2007 и 2018
9 Posts
Пятую передачу в своем 08 я включаю только за городом, чтобы не сломать вилку переключения в КПП, в городе включать не рекомендую,
разогнать более 2000 для пятой очень мало

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
What he said! ^^^^^

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Barry Dupler

·
Registered
9 Posts
извините, мой английский немного хромает

·
Registered
9 Posts
Писал, что за городом только пятую передачу включаю, когда разгоняю байк.
А то, что на 5 ступеней 2000 об / мин мало, при затяжке на малых оборотах вилка переключения пятой передачи в КПП может сломаться

·
Registered
795 Posts
Эй Вячеслав - На вашем 08 Goldwing вы правы только использовать 5-й механизм, когда за городом и двигатель вращается на более чем 2000 об/мин.

Ваш английский не хромает – это больше похоже на жесткий русский... 😊

Ездить безопасно - Майкл

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
The Wing engine has so much torque that most folks would like another gear to shift into at highway speeds. You also may notice more odd noises coming from the bike because the engine is so quiet.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't obsess with the tach at 3 grand the bike is just loafing along, just enjoy the ride. Twist your wrist at 3 grand and see what you get it will put a smile on your face. Don't worry that you are too big for the wing as myself and others on here can tell stories of the amount of stuff we have carried on our wings. The wing is used overseas as a tow truck (look it up on u-tube there are videos). My advice is just ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The RPMs ranges you list don't have anything to do with load, those are simply the RPMs dictated by the gearing and the size of the rear tire.

If you're accelerating and shifting into 5th gear at 2000 RPMs I'd say that's way too low. You should be shifting into 5th gear at something more like 3000 RPMs, or even higher.
Thanks! I just want to make sure i am not over raving the engine or destroying the engine.

I thought it should rev lower cause I came over from sport bikes and they rev high. I was under the impression that big bikes/full dressers or whatever they are called, are supposed to be low rev-ing engines. But I feel like the consensus here is that the bike is fine at 3k and that I might be changing gears on a low rev. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your drive line is all mechanical. The speed and engine RPM are solidly linked and the ratio determined by transmission and final drive gearing. What I am saying is that, regardless of the fuel system, air induction system or ignition system conditions, the RPM at 65 MPH will not be affected. If one of those systems is struggling, you might have to twist the grip more to get to 65 MPH but since you didn't have this bike new, you really don't know if you are twisting harder or not.

Same with payload. You may have to "give it more gas" with 500lbs on board than with 195 lbs, but the RPM doesn't change. The MPG likely will though.

I don't think your bike is struggling. I'm a little heavier than you. I can roll on in fifth gear from 35 and shoot right up to 55 without really thinking about it. But if I want more acceleration, I can easily drop down to third.

Not saying that you shouldn't go ahead and do air filter, tappet clearance check, spark plugs, etc. but none of that will change the engine speed to highway speed ratio.
TBH the bike does struggle when I want to pass a truck. Around 65mph when I roll on the throttle it takes bit before it starts to pickup speed. But I feel like change down a gear might be a good idea. I thought changing down was for small engine. Again I am learning new things. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Пятую передачу в своем 08 я включаю только за городом, чтобы не сломать вилку переключения в КПП, в городе включать не рекомендую,
разогнать более 2000 для пятой очень мало
Thanks for sharing, but I cant understand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Эй Вячеслав - На вашем 08 Goldwing вы правы только использовать 5-й механизм, когда за городом и двигатель вращается на более чем 2000 об/мин.

Ваш английский не хромает – это больше похоже на жесткий русский... 😊

Ездить безопасно - Майкл
Seriously welcome to all the Ukrainians, but I honestly cant understand and google translate isn't really working.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't obsess with the tach at 3 grand the bike is just loafing along, just enjoy the ride. Twist your wrist at 3 grand and see what you get it will put a smile on your face. Don't worry that you are too big for the wing as myself and others on here can tell stories of the amount of stuff we have carried on our wings. The wing is used overseas as a tow truck (look it up on u-tube there are videos). My advice is just ride and enjoy.
Thanks man will do. But since its a used bike and about 15 years old, I first have to get it up to speed. Some of the stuff is basic maintenance like oil, filters, spark plugs and brake pads. But wheel bearings and steering bearing, I don't know if thats age related or just signs of a not well maintained bike.. Will update you guys on what I find out.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
TBH the bike does struggle when I want to pass a truck. Around 65mph when I roll on the throttle it takes bit before it starts to pickup speed. But I feel like change down a gear might be a good idea. I thought changing down was for small engine. Again I am learning new things. Thanks
Like you, I find if I'm riding at say 63-65mph (100kmh) and crack the throttle to pass, I get a slow but steady acceleration until somewhere around 68-70mph, and then I get a real surge all of a sudden. The slow and steady acceleration region is never slow enought that I've ever bothered to downshift, but I definitely feel a surge when it hits a certain point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like you, I find if I'm riding at say 63-65mph (100kmh) and crack the throttle to pass, I get a slow but steady acceleration until somewhere around 68-70mph, and then I get a real surge all of a sudden. The slow and steady acceleration region is never slow enought that I've ever bothered to downshift, but I definitely feel a surge when it hits a certain point.
Ah ok, so maybe thats just the nature of the bike. Its slow to pickup, but once it gets going it takes off like a rocket. Good to know thanks for sharing. And yes around 80mph it goes like hell but around 60-65mph its a little slow. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is a reason you get a surge of power at 80. That is where you are into the meat of the power-band in 5th gear. The GL1800 is a sport tourer, not a cruiser. OD is OverDrive, which I think of as the gear for the best gas mileage when taking it easy at 55-70. But if you want power, you need to be at 3500-4000 rpms before you get any real oomph. The bike is made for riding well into the 5000 range without any damage to the engine which is why it redlines at 6000. Only the gas mileage will suffer. Ride her hard a little and feel what she can do.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts