Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a route 66 trip in July. Yes, I know it will be hot this time of the year but that is the only time my wife can take time off work. Is there any place you have stopped along OLD ROUTE 66 that was well worth their time. Also are there any places that we need to stay clear of.

·
Administrator
29,076 Posts
Well karoozin, The little lady & I did several sections of 66 on a Cross Country trip in 2010.

Some of the old highway is still intact, some has been gobbled up by cities & interstates. In Chicago & the outskirts it's ehhhhh as you get out a bit the wonder starts to come around.

Some of our highlights included Donut Drive In, Ted Drewes Frozen Custard in St. Louis, riding through the sections of Old 66 (get off 1-40) from Springfield Mo to Baxter Springs KS was awesome (had a Great meal in Cafe on the Route in Baxter Springs). Tulsa OK is a nice city, friendly & laid back. The nice long stretches of Texas even though it's only across the panhandle (don't forget to stop for a Photo op at Cadillac Ranch) in Amarillo go ahead you know you want to.

Getting into N.M. Tucumcari is a retro Rt66 gem with loads of old motels (redone) & a Main ST that gives you the Old 66 feel as does most of 66 in AZ. Our Trip took us off 66 in AZ only to catch it on the west side later but the Route 66 Museum in Kingman is nice & it's really fun to go on Old Old (that's right 2 olds) 66 to Oatman. Old Mining town with wild (tame) burros that live in the mountains & come down to the town daily. Fun Stuff. We finished our 66 travels in Needles Ca. Quaint little town some nice photo ops but not a whole lot going on.

Hope this helps & that I didn't bore you too much. By the way this is a great link that I perused before our trip.

http://www.historic66.com/description/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.