Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, some friends and I are looking at doing the old route 66 next year or the next. I was wondering what info you guys could give me. Should I go on a guided tour or do it ourselves ? The guided tours seem to be very regimented and I can understand that but I would like to be more flexible. Are there any books, maps, websites, and any other info that you could recommend ? I'm particularly interested in historical sites and the geographical formations along the way. Also, the little lady does not camp so inexpensive motels/hotels would be a plus as well. Thanks for help you can give and maybe we'll see you along the way.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
My wife & I are headed across the country & back next year so I have done some research. You didn't say exactly what part of 66 you are interested in, however we plan on riding on it in Arizona. Here are several links with some things along the way.

I do know that parts of 66 are gone & that some of it is dirt.

http://www.historic66.com

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/route66.htm

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html

Here is interesting place to stay as well.

http://www.galerie-kokopelli.com/wigwam/

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fossil92, I'll check out those sites. I'm planning to do it right from Chicago to California. Also, I'll be riding from the east coast of Canada first to get to Chicago. I didn't realize that some of it is dirt...don't want to ride on that. There are several books out there but I'll wait for some more info here. As for the ride, after California I may take the Pacific coast highway to British Columbia then east across Canada to home here in Newfoundland. I know its ambitious but it'll be a trip of a lifetime. But I'm still in planning stages now.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Ponch, Trip sounds great I'm sure it'll change at least half a dozen times til it happens.

Mine & wifes trip starts at home in Pa.-Southwest to Baton Rouge-West though Texas to El Paso- North to Gallup N.M. -West to Nevada (we will ride 66 Seligman to Kingman)-through Death Valley-NW to San Francisco up 1A to Oregon- through to Seattle- East to Idaho/Montana-Wyoming-South Dakota- SE through Nebrask/Missouri into Kentucky -NE to WVa -into Pa & Home.

As you said ambitious however can't wait.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh fossil, the little lady and I are so envious! Unfortunately, work and time commitments will limit us for at least a year or so. What is the total mileage and time alloted for this trip ?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ponch, Trip sounds great I'm sure it'll change at least half a dozen times til it happens.

Mine & wifes trip starts at home in Pa.-Southwest to Baton Rouge-West though Texas to El Paso- North to Gallup N.M. -West to Nevada (we will ride 66 Seligman to Kingman)-through Death Valley-NW to San Francisco up 1A to Oregon- through to Seattle- East to Idaho/Montana-Wyoming-South Dakota- SE through Nebrask/Missouri into Kentucky -NE to WVa -into Pa & Home.

As you said ambitious however can't wait.
... HOWDY ... DON'T FORGET ABOUT SEEING THE -ZILLA DUDE - HERE ON THE ORYGUN COAST HWY. 101 ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Oh fossil, the little lady and I are so envious! Unfortunately, work and time commitments will limit us for at least a year or so. What is the total mileage and time alloted for this trip ?
As of now a little over 9,000 miles & we are pushing to get it done in a month, but I think it will be closer to 5 weeks.

HOWDY ... DON'T FORGET ABOUT SEEING THE -ZILLA DUDE - HERE ON THE ORYGUN COAST HWY. 101 ... HAPPY TRAILS
Actually I'm hoping to ride a bit with people along the way. I belong to a Nighthawk forum & already have a guy in Tennesee that wants to ride along for a bit. I think it would be kind of neat to meet people you post with as We go.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Fossil92: So when does the trip begin??

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Fossil92: So when does the trip begin??
2nd week June 2010 through 2nd week July 2010

CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Driving wife crazy with planning & changing plans. Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fossil92, thats a good one ....undecided male bike rider. What are your plans for accomodations ? Camping, friends, hotels ? Any info would be helpful. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
We plan on Hotels, All the friends & family are in our general area.

CAMPING?
Mine & wifes' idea of roughing it is when Hotel doesn't have a continental breakfast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts