Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to your forum but have been lurking for info on the Goldwing as I ponder trading my Triumph Rocket Tourer for a Goldwing. I am intrigued by the looks of the new Goldwing F6B (is that really what Honda is calling it?) kind of bridges the gap between my big cruiser and the typical Goldwing. Although I love the torque and power of the rocket, I'm having service issues that may steer me away from the brand. I was a Honda fan in my youth, QA-50, SL350, 500Four (rode that one cross country at 19), 750 Supersport which I quickly wrecked when I was invinsible. I later got back into bikes with a Triumph 2005 Bonneville and then traded to a 2008 Triumph Rocket Tourer. Triumph makes a great bike and the Rockets 2300cc powerplant is addicting. Before I make the jump back to Honda I am looking for some feedback on the Goldwing as an all aroung bike (specifically the F6B when they release it this winter) as compared to the #850 pound Rocket I've been riding. I know you are all certainly biased to the Goldwing but are you happy with the handling and power of your bikes? Thanks for your input and allowing a "Triumph" guy into your forum!

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Welcome to GWOF. I am not the best one to make comments on the new wings but the old wing are great. (1200,1984 and 1500, 1995). I also think that the Triumph are a great ride. The Rockets gas range will get tested here Down Under.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello boale, welcome to GWOF. seeing that none of us have an f6b we can only generalize about it. personally i would have to add a trunk to an f6b as i use it more than the bags

·
Banned
466 Posts
I bought a GL1500 in 2000 and a GL1800 in 2006 and could not be happier but handling has never been much of an issue for me as most of my riding is on multi-lane, limited access highways. I also use floorboards which further limit the lean angle of the machine. Power on the GL1800 is more than adequate but at higher highway speed its fuel mileage suffers. I recently finished a 1025 mile ride, averaging about 71mph (overall - including stops) and 74mph on-bike and got 34mpg. I have never top-ended the bicke but its roll-on for passing is great, even through the Rockies I don't need to shift.

Other great things about the GL line include. websites like this one, a gigantic third-party market for "stuff" to add to your machine, penty of alternator power for electrical goodies, legendary Honda reliability.

Cons: This is a heavy machine, n the twisties you may not be leading the pack, hard on fuel at high speed, wide load - so lane sharing is problematic

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Love the power and the handling and comfort and the list goes on and on. Cant comment on the F6 but I like the looks. Dont think you will be disappointed with any Honda.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Boale...I have the guy for you. After extensive research and testing...IBALEE traded his Triumph Rocket for a 2012 Goldwing. After the trade he has completed several IBA rides including the 10,000 miles in 10 days. I don't think he is disappointed whatsoever. You can PM him for a full report. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Ride safe and enjoy the forum

·
Banned
23 Posts
Well, I think you may miss some of the power of the Rocket, but a Goldwing isn't exactly a slouch either. And, as most everyone knows, it's hard to beat the reliability of a Honda, and dealers are much more widespread.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
B welcome. I traded my Rocket in earlier this year after riding it for seven years. The wing is more suited for the long trips ..more protection, more gadgets and it handles great. The Rocket is much better in the twisties due to the massive power and the inline three...but the reason I traded it was to be able to do longer rides and the Wing offered me more in the area. I think you would like the Wing if you are looking for riding longer....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. Get the Honda and be the first to write a report here.
Join the :D crowd of Wingers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I love Triumphs and have owned a few.....t595 daytona, speed triple 955 daytona and a trophy.....great motorcycles and getting better each year....The new Trophy may make me get another
I think the transition to a wing is a gradual thing. Its a combination of being sick of being uncomfortable on a bike for long distances and changing the way you ride in general....it is a maturation process as silly as it sounds....no bike is going to give youthe performance of a Rocket....but no bike will give you comfort and mileage like a wing

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
It has more to do with what one expects out of a motorcycle. If you expectations are high then you may have a few disappointments with the money spent to become a Wing owner. There are still a few glitches, bugs or flaws that Honda still hasn't corrected yet. I am on my 8th Goldwing and have been riding them for 34 years and am a happy camper so to speak every time I climb on. The power to weight ratio isn't like that of a Rocket but it is more than ample to get you down the road with a smile on your face with a few amenities the Triumph doesn't have. I think you will find a Goldwing more comfortable and the handling second to none for a full size touring bike. Honda has a little bit of work to do with the front suspension and a few electronice devices but overall, I have been more than pleased with my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Thanks for the prompt feedback. I've got a few months till the F6B is available and I get to check it out in person. I figured I would eventually ride a wing but still not sure if I'm ready yet since most of my rides are short range and around town. I have found the Rocket to be a great all around bike despite its size, just not happy with the dependability part. IBALEE, I see your from the Land of Enchantment! Beautiful part of the country to ride long distances in. I can see why the Wing works for you. Hard to give up all that torque though!

Torque??? We got some torque :D:D

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I too owned two Triumphs a scrambler and a Tiger. the Tiger was great but no dealers close by to get service. I looked at a Rocket tourer and rode one as well JMHO the wing kicks the crap out of it in the handling department as well as the toy department and as for touring there is no compairson the wing hands down wins . now for a drag race I would not even think of taking on the Rocket in standard form the detuned Tourer maybe ? Our Triumph dealer is fantastic and I would love to have another Tiger for short runs of two to three hundred miles using local dealer but beyond that I would go for the f6b in my younger days , today it's the full boat all the way !

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
After sitting on the F6B (nobody could define exactly what the "F6B" stood for at the meeting on Tuesday, 6B was generally agreed upon with 6 cyl bagger but that's about it) there's a definite weight difference from the full on Wing. Lower seat height makes it more cruiser-ish and the blacked out treatment (Cdn version) is sedately "in your face" and I'd watch for V&H or Cobra to come out with some black chrome or matte black pipes shortly. Biggest oops is the lack of a cruise control as the two main bagger competitors (Vision Srtreet and Streetglide) have it. No self respecting dealer should consider letting one off the showroom floor without the passenger backrest either IMO; any I bring in will have one for sure. It will tip the scales almost even with your Triumph, but the weight bias is well below where your Rocket c of g sits.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I have found the Rocket to be a great all around bike despite its size, just not happy with the dependability part. IBALEE, I see your from the Land of Enchantment! Beautiful part of the country to ride long distances in. I can see why the Wing works for you. Hard to give up all that torque though!
It was and it is so I went looking at something to use as a second bike. I should have kept my Rocket but I traded it in and now I am contemplating buying the roadster....
But the wing is much better for long trips..I should know I done IB rides on both bikes... but in the twisties the Rocket wins hands down. It has more raw power and the inline three was well suited for twisties you can hit them hard and it comes back to center with ease. On the straight away you can excellerate very quickly as well. I love both bikes for different reasons. That is why I am pondering a second bike. .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
After sitting on the F6B (nobody could define exactly what the "F6B" stood for at the meeting on Tuesday, 6B was generally agreed upon with 6 cyl bagger but that's about it) there's a definite weight difference from the full on Wing. Lower seat height makes it more cruiser-ish and the blacked out treatment (Cdn version) is sedately "in your face" and I'd watch for V&H or Cobra to come out with some black chrome or matte black pipes shortly. Biggest oops is the lack of a cruise control as the two main bagger competitors (Vision Srtreet and Streetglide) have it. No self respecting dealer should consider letting one off the showroom floor without the passenger backrest either IMO; any I bring in will have one for sure. It will tip the scales almost even with your Triumph, but the weight bias is well below where your Rocket c of g sits.
According to the specification the F6B seat height (29.1") is the same as a standard GL1800 seat.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Hmmmm....I'd like to see a 'challenge!!
Trust me on the twisties and straight away...the Massive 2.3 litre engine will over power the wing and the inline 3 banks great and does very well in the twisties. You can get the rocket over a 100 mph on a short straight run inbetween the twisties...I noticed a huge difference in power, but like I said the Wing is much better on the long rides then the Rocket...I am very happy with the Wing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.