Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gl1500 goldwing with a leeman conversion trike, The complete trike weighs about 500 kilos, can anybody explain to me why the DVLA charge me £125 road tax?

I was looking at a trike it is called Colossus with a V8 engine at the front and a Jet engine from a helicopter engine at the rear, the owner of this machine is charged £66 for his road tax, this trike must weigh about 2 tons.

I have seen many many trikes who also pay £66 I would love to know why the DVLA say my £125 road tax is correct.

Has anydody any idea?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
We had the same problem over here with English taxes back in 1775. We threw a little Tea Party up in Boston and that seemed to help . But now that our taxes are self-imposed our Tea Parties still continue..........

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Let's have a big "AMEN" for brother chopin.

w.bishop we have some of your fellow countryman here hopefully one of them will chime in & help you out. I would like to take this oppurtunity to say Hello & hope you can get your answer. By the way nice wheels!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
We are kind of at a loss here in the states because we don't know how the UK makes the determination regarding the "road tax". If it is strictly by weight, then I would contact the taxing authority that handles this and ask for an explaination or a refund. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Accourding to the DVLA web site, as long as it does not wiegh over 450Kg then it should be no more than £70.. But over that its taxed as a car. Can't you lighten it and have it reclassified, then put the weight back on again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bigandyuk1,
thank you for your reply.
I have seen at least 15 goldwing trikes and they all paid £66 last year, I have also seen about 30 other trikes weighing up to one and a half tons and all of these also showed £66 road tax discs.
I was told my goldwing trike weighs about 500kl with its leeman conversion and I am charged £125.
I will have to take it to a public weigh bridge and get it weighed properly and maybee this will clear the matter up with the DVLA. With your suggestion, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts