Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday in Decatur Al. a truck driver leaving a truck stop pulled out into the path of a couple on a motorcycle and the driver of the bike laid it down seriously injuring the passenger and the bikes driver attacked the truckdriver with a knife inflicting serious injuries. When the trucker was questioned he stated that he didn't see the bike! Please be aware guys!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Wow sad news

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Two Wrongs don't make a right. They are called accidents for a reason.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ppl just don't look / don't see. they can look right at you and not see you. no excuse for pulling out in front of someone or turning left in my path. fair is fair you try to murder me and i will return the favor. as someone who has been on the wrong end of a left turner. after doing a superman over the car when i came out of my last roll, my helmet was of and i went after the driver with it in hand. bystanders stopped me. all i heard was I didn't see him. I was by my self that day luckily. I can only imagine if my wife had been on back. I understand the mans rage. he should be declared temporarily insane.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Our dignity is our greatest asset. Act with rage against someone else's mistakes is wrong. It isn't the things in life that happen to us that matter more than how we respond to them. Keep a level head.

Had a guy do a left hand turn at an intersection in Newport Beach, California in 1969 and felt his bumper brush up against my jeans. I chased him down the street to the stop sign to rip him out of his car and beat the crap out of him. Got moving to fast and applied too much brake on my Honda 305 Scrambler and locked up the brakes. Bike fell, sliding towards the bumper of that guys car with me ontop riding it out. I screamed at him yelling, "go, go" as I flailed my arms to get him to move.....and quick. I slid through the intersection without incident except for some road rash on the handlebar chrome. The law of karma nearly played it's hand against my rage.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
A couple years ago when my Wing was five months old a woman pulled out in front of me. It was in a school zone so I had already slowed down. All I saw was the back of her head looking the other way. I almost got stopped but hit her and flew off. I started to walk toward her when the cord to the helmet swung me back. Taking the helmet off gave me time to think that me speaking to her right that minute would lead to nothing positive. The local cop knew her and not me and would not issue her a ticket for failure to yield. Me yelling at her probably would have given me a chance to see the local jail. He Aunt called me later and apologized and they made sure the bike was fixed right. I understand the rage but causing harm, even is well deserved, doesn't bring any good.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
When I was the last time you ever heard anyone say "I had an on purpose yesterday." ?

They call them accidents and that's what they are. We live in a high tech, fast paced world & mistakes are made even by motorcyclists.

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
Having recently been involved in a motorcycle mishap I understand the gamut of emotions that immediately follow. Which emotion is going to influence your immediate reaction ? That's a question I can't answer for you.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I hope everyone has a speedy recovery. I understand the pure anger that flows through someones veins. I also see the pure tragedy when they act :(

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Rage can be a terrible thing. I know with my dark Celtic background I have to be very careful when the temper flares. Often it takes more than just a moment of chanting "oowwwoooooom" to cool the jets. Too bad that things like this have to happen.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Back in 92 I was T-boned doing 35mph through a intersection when the other guy ran the stop sign and when I was done with the mess I was making and the other person was standing over me and you know what he was saying come on you know ??? I did not see you.:eek: O well I thank the man up above still today, for the bike took the hit and 1 month later I found a 85 1200A with 2K on it for $6K and thats what I got from his insurance. I was lucky and I know it.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
The one job I still hold in our local GWRRA Chapter is Motorcycle Awareness Guy . When I can get access to a company's safety meeting or a service clubs luncheon I give a talk on being aware of motorcycles and sharing the road with motorcycles. One of the thing I like to do if there is room is to have them stand about 60 feet away and hold up one hand in front between me and them. They are surprised to see that they can't see me.
Park you wing and walk away behind in it 20 paces about 60 feet. Then facing the bike hold one hand up between you and the bike. And see how much of the bike is hidden.
Now think about how many thing there are that can hide you at least temporally Power poles, signs, rear view mirrors, door posts. somebody standing on the corner., any number of things.
We as rider have to work at making ourselves seen also.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Now the 1 thing that has made me mess my shorts is last year comeing home from work on the hyway at 7Pm. when a car full of kids comes up beside me I am given the finger:mad: and the driver just comes over and runs me off the road, lucky for me I had a good bit of shoulder to play with. The thing I have picked up over the years of being on my bikes is never to try to do anything at that time other then give the ahole a lot of room, but I do have a good mind to remember a plate and you can always find an address.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Now the 1 thing that has made me mess my shorts is last year comeing home from work on the hyway at 7Pm. when a car full of kids comes up beside me I am given the finger:mad: and the driver just comes over and runs me off the road, lucky for me I had a good bit of shoulder to play with. The thing I have picked up over the years of being on my bikes is never to try to do anything at that time other then give the ahole a lot of room, but I do have a good mind to remember a plate and you can always find an address.:eek:
I am not saying you did anything. They just did this,like a random act of violence? :eek:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Accidents and Stupidity

Yesterday in Decatur Al. a truck driver leaving a truck stop pulled out into the path of a couple on a motorcycle and the driver of the bike laid it down seriously injuring the passenger and the bikes driver attacked the truckdriver with a knife inflicting serious injuries. When the trucker was questioned he stated that he didn't see the bike! Please be aware guys!
Hmm. The biker did not see the truck leaving the truck stop, Why? The trucker did not see the bike, Why? A passenger is seriouly injured and the bike rider, neglecting his passenger, goes on the attack, Why?
The trucker, not a Floridian because he didn't pull a handgun and shoot his attacker, is seriously injured, Why?

Rage and emotion loves to interact. Perhaps the biker knew he screwed up and acted out in rage to cover his own error, at the further expense of the driver and his passenger. The biker is not dead or seriously injured because the trucker did not shoot him, even thought he'd be justified in any court, because he did not intentionally mean to cause the ACCIDENT!!.

The end result of all this action will probably fall on the bike rider. For whatever reason he did not or could not avoid a slow moving truck merging into traffic. The bike rider further compounded his situation by pulling a knife and attacking the truck driver...hmmm, assault with a deadly weapon? So, this one biker may have endangered the lives of many motorcyclists by his actions. I wonder how many truckers will be swayed by the truck driver's story?

Sure would like to know the outcome of this story! Most riders have stories involving inattentive drivers doing something stupid to upset them on the road but don't always react in the same manner, at least I hope not! Just one rider's opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was returning from a meeting a week ago Friday anbd was on my wing. I came to a four way stop and 3 other cars arrived after I did. I made eye contact with each driver so they knew when I was going. I made my left turn and the lady on the right side of the four way was talking on her cell phone and pulled right up into my lane. I laid on my horn and she finally looked up at me and I was right beside her. I sped up and got out of her way. I wasn't hit or anything but it came to close. To make matters worse, when we came up to the next intersection, she pulled up beside me and cussed me out because I blew my horn at her. She had the nerve to tell me that she could not hear her friend on the phone. I wanted to put a brick through her window but I didn't. Lord knows I wanted to!..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too have felt the rage when someone does something stupid and causes a close call. There are times when I have done things I shouldn't have also. But many years ago on my 650 Triumph I had a young lady make a left turn from behind a truck with a camper. She turned as I was entering the intersection in the inside lane from the opposite direction. I had no place to go with the truck to my left and her in front going right. I layed it down and took out the whole side of her car before it tossed me. The only one I got mad at was the idiot trying to make me sit as I was walking out the contact to funny bones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts