Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting ready to add a trailer hitch to my '08 and have the list narrowed down to two. I really like the Rivco hitch since it is all aluminum and half the weight of any of the steel hitches out there. Granted, I have to modify the rear fender a bit, but the modification is not overly severe, and I can live with it. However, I have a question that is just about driving me nuts regarding that hitch, so I need to ask a question of you kind members that have a Rivco hitch. The question is this: Where in the world do you attach your safety chains??

·
Registered
78 Posts
The Rivco hitch I had on my previous GW (2012) had two small holes to hook the chains to. They were located behind the fender alongside the hitch receiver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Anton. I am assuming that those holes must not be very apparent as they do not seem to appear in the photos supplied by the manufacturer.

A friend of my son has an '08 with a Rivco hitch on it, and there does not appear to be any method for attaching safety chains whatsoever. He bought his bike with the hitch in place and has never pulled a trailer, so he is as dumbfounded as I am. He is young (26) and doesn't seem to understand why he would need safety chains. Maybe I am just old and set in my ways, but I believe that the safety chains are just as important as any other part of the connection between bike and trailer. Next time he stops by with his bike I will need to take a look under the fender.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It possible they changed the design, but I definitely had safety chains attached. Have you tried calling Rivco?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Rivco hitch I had on my previous GW (2012) had two small holes to hook the chains to. They were located behind the fender alongside the hitch receiver.
If the holes are up near the receiver, what's to prevent the chains from destroying the fender if the trailer comes off the ball?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks Anton. I am assuming that those holes must not be very apparent as they do not seem to appear in the photos supplied by the manufacturer.

A friend of my son has an '08 with a Rivco hitch on it, and there does not appear to be any method for attaching safety chains whatsoever. He bought his bike with the hitch in place and has never pulled a trailer, so he is as dumbfounded as I am. He is young (26) and doesn't seem to understand why he would need safety chains. Maybe I am just old and set in my ways, but I believe that the safety chains are just as important as any other part of the connection between bike and trailer. Next time he stops by with his bike I will need to take a look under the fender.
Here is a picture that was copied from a You Tube Video. It shows the holes. I added arrows to highlight them.

Attachments

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Michael! That explains it all in short order, and it is an acceptable solution for me, definitely better than the loops welded to the hitch tongue like many of the vertical receiver hitches have. Let's face it, if the pin falls out and drops the hitch tongue out of the receiver, the safety chains don't do any good at all.

Thanks to everyone else for your responses as well!

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P)
32 Posts
Aluminum is good (great) for a lot of things, but for my tastes a trailer hitch just isn't one of them. Over time and God only knows how much stress, my money would be on steel. Saving a few pounds just isn't worth the risk of failure to me.
Reading through these responses, see things like destroying the rear fender and a hole to put a safety chain in just turn me off. They may be all fine and good, but I wouldn't stick my neck (or trailer or camper) out there like that. I have pulled a trailer and camper many miles and have and always will use a steel hitch. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aluminum is good (great) for a lot of things, but for my tastes a trailer hitch just isn't one of them. Over time and God only knows how much stress, my money would be on steel. Saving a few pounds just isn't worth the risk of failure to me.
Reading through these responses, see things like destroying the rear fender and a hole to put a safety chain in just turn me off. They may be all fine and good, but I wouldn't stick my neck (or trailer or camper) out there like that. I have pulled a trailer and camper many miles and have and always will use a steel hitch. Just my opinion.
You’re right...steel is stronger, but the Rivco aluminum hitch is a quality product and more than up to the job. As for “destroying the fender”, no matter what your hitch is made from, if the trailer comes loose your fender is going to be at risk. And if there was no hole, what would you hook your chains to?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some points to ponder:
1. What material has been used for Goldwing frames since 2001?
2. Most semi truck wheels and hubs are made of what material?
3. Most semi trailers are made primarily of what material?
4. Most motorcycle, car, and pickup wheels are made from what material?

I could continue on but that would be pointless. Aluminum is used as a primary material for so many things today that nobody would have even considered 30 or 40 years ago. I can understand someone's concerns, and respect their choice of materials, but that is not what this thread is about.

But, to be fair, the ability of the hitch to function properly over an extended period of time is not dependent so much on the material from which it is constructed, but rather is dependent on the engineering behind the design of hitch components. A good hitch could be designed from steel or aluminum just as easily as poor hitches can be designed from either material.

Rivco's aluminum hitch design has been on the market for quite some time now and they appear to be quite popular and also seem to be quite rugged. I do not believe that we can fault that hitch simply because it is built from aluminum. Those who choose to do so should also sell their aluminum framed Goldwings and buy Harleys for the same reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts