Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: Before I get 'flamed' about the topic, let me say that this is not a recommendation, nor a suggestion, not even a hint nor a whisper in support of OR in opposition to riding without a helmet. If you do or if you don't, that's your business and I cast no judgement or opinion on your decision.

Do you ever ride without a helmet? If so when, where, why, etc...

OR

Do you always ride with a helmet, I'd like to know that too... the reason seems obvious :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Helmet

Hi all

Well you guys are lucky to have a choice as to whether or not to wear a helmet, here in England it is law that we wear one, so to answer your question always wear a helmet :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't worry about getting flamed. I bite back twice as hard!!
Anyway.........lol. Yes both the wife and my self do occasionally ride without a helmet.
The where and why? Just depends, usually if it is a stroll down to a local restaurant for lunch, dinner, ect and depending on what day, time, ect, we will ride without a bucket.
If I know we are going where traffic is heavy or it's late on a weekend night we DO wear helmets.

On longer rides we will wear a helmet and will occasionally take it off if it gets too hot and we are way out in the country.

On my commute to and from work? You bet your sweet A%$# I wear a lid! It's all Houston Traffic to and from and there are some real idiots around this part of the world.

And I know that someone is going to post up with statistics that show most bike accidents happen a short distance from the house.

Well here is my take on that line of misguided information. Yes the wrecks do happen, yes most happen close to home.
BUT, this is a BS statistic. All it shows is that most motorcycles that are involved in a wreck close to home, spend most of their riding miles close to home.
Hell if that statistic were really FACT, everyone would trailer the bike out of town then ride it cross country worry free because they are less likely to wreck far from home??? Gimmi a break with the statistic crap people!

Bottom line is, do what you want, it's your body and your life! It should be no ones business what you or I do so long as it does not affect them.
As far as I am concerned, that goes for prostitution and gambling too!:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well being that I am a retired paramedic, I have seen several victims from crashes. Trust me some of them havent been pretty either. Most of the wrecks were bad enough, helmets didn't matter. But the others helmets did make a difference. I always wear a helmet. My better half would not let me have a bike if I didn't. I guess it everybody's choice. To me helmet on whenever I am riding.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ALWAYS
I'm not that smart to begin with - can't afford to lose any more brain cells. I've had a helmet save me twice on a bicycle, and I got a serious concussion snowboarding (stupidly) without one. I don't buy the reasoning that it's safe if there's no traffic, or if you're just going down the street. Nor do I buy the idea that a traumatic brain injury is the business of the individual only - talk to the family of someone who's sustained one. Unless you're one of those people who has no one in the world who cares about you, cracking your punkin' head open will have an effect on other people.
I don't know why I get sucked into responding to these threads - no good can come of it :p

·
Registered
405 Posts
I do on a rare occasion. Used to more but my wife has a lot of people who report back to her then I have to listen to her bit--. It is really tempting in the summer though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
ALWAYS
I'm not that smart to begin with - can't afford to lose any more brain cells. I've had a helmet save me twice on a bicycle, and I got a serious concussion snowboarding (stupidly) without one. I don't buy the reasoning that it's safe if there's no traffic, or if you're just going down the street. Nor do I buy the idea that a traumatic brain injury is the business of the individual only - talk to the family of someone who's sustained one. Unless you're one of those people who has no one in the world who cares about you, cracking your punkin' head open will have an effect on other people.
I don't know why I get sucked into responding to these threads - no good can come of it :p
I don't know why I get sucked in either, I guess I am a glutton for punishment!

But I do need to respond to this. First off, let me remind everyone that man has been doing things for centuries that are far more un-safe than riding a motorcycle.
How many thousands of years has man ridden Horses without a helmet? Hoisted 2 ton blocks of rock without a back brace to build pyramids? Rowed Viking ships across the atlantic ocean with no mandatory 10 hour rest period between 11 hour shifts?:D

Bottom line is if you prevent humans from natural selection, prevent them from dieing from cancer and disease, make them wear seat-belts and helmets so they can't die in a crash, ect. You create a population growth that the earth will soon not be able to support. You can not prevent death! And if man ever finds out a way to do it? God help us all!!
It's already happening all around us. Leave nature alone and stop trying to artificially control populations of living species on this planet! Protect the ones who can't protect them selves but leave me the hell alone, I can choose for my self.

But besides the reasons why you should let nature take it's course, what about a persons right to choose?
There is a big difference between putting a gun to your head and choosing not to wear a helmet!

If I took EVERY precaution to protect my self in every way while riding a motorcycle, I would not own one, the fun and freedom would be gone!
Please tell me what it matters if I get in a wreck and become a vegetable instead of dieing? What good did it do me to have ZERO road Rash because of protective gear but now in a wheel chair the rest of my life paralyzed from the neck down?
Or maybe no broken bones at all and no road rash but suffered a concussion and went into a coma then die 10 years later?

If people are really worried about protecting them self from injury on a Bike, The only true answer with guaranteed results is to NOT RIDE ONE!!
Do helmets save lives?? Ah the big question, I think they save skulls and that is all. There are many many ways to die. And there are many ways to get injured and wish you were dead.
And either one of these will have negative impacts on your loved ones. So using that logic, Why would you risk it at all even getting on a bike??

All That said, It is MY BODY, MY LIFE and no one on this earth has a say in what I can or can't do with it!
I also happen to WEAR A HELMET Most of the time. But I have, do and will go without one from time to time.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oldsmores/Buzzy I appreciate the fact that you guys do respond. I won't get sucked into providing stats or opinion or rebutting someone else's stats or opinion but I will say that I do sometimes ride without a helmet. I do this when I think the risk seems less as misguided as that may be. I do sometimes ride without a helmet when out in the country or in the everglades or usually when I am down in the Keys... that kinda thing. I do it because I like the feeling. It is nothing more/nothing less than that.

I ask this question because I just got back from a trip to New Orleans (not on the Wing). I was driving in my truck by the way; unfortunately I did not make the trip on the Wing as I had planned... that's 'nuther story. In the 1700 miles round trip of interstate driving, I noticed a few things:

1) most bikers I saw were wearing helmets.
2) some of those helmets seem to be for show more than protection.... meaning there wasn't much of a helmet there but it was a helmet.
3) of the bikers NOT wearing helmets, the significant number were Goldwing riders just cruisin' along behind that big windscreen enjoying 75F to 85F temps

I will grant you that this is a small sample and an unscientific observation to say the least AND that this was my perception but my observations were enough to provoke my thoughts and enough for me to ask the question :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Hi all

Well you guys are lucky to have a choice as to whether or not to wear a helmet, here in England it is law that we wear one, so to answer your question always wear a helmet :)
some states like the one i live in have a helmet law so i don't have a choice and when i am in a state that doesn't have a helmet law i choose to wear my helmet, i am one of those that was saved by their helmet

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Always wear one... Not that there is that much up there to protect.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I always wear a helmet, but that is a choice everyone must make, and like detdrbuzzard a helmet most likely saved my life or at the very least kept me from being messed up real bad years ago. :)

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I Always wear a helmet; wouldn't ride from the garage to the street, about 15' without it. Been down hard, and the only reason I'm as old as I am was my helmet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
But I do need to respond to this. First off, let me remind everyone that man has been doing things for centuries that are far more un-safe than riding a motorcycle.
How many thousands of years has man ridden Horses without a helmet? Hoisted 2 ton blocks of rock without a back brace to build pyramids? Rowed Viking ships across the atlantic ocean with no mandatory 10 hour rest period between 11 hour shifts?:D

All That said, It is MY BODY, MY LIFE and no one on this earth has a say in what I can or can't do with it!
I also happen to WEAR A HELMET Most of the time. But I have, do and will go without one from time to time.
To your first point, I'd just point out that life expectancy in those days was probably about 30 years.
To your second, I could point out the million ways that the government already controls your body and your life, but fair enough.
Peace - If I ever get to Texas we can ride together, with or without helmets. :D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I wear one because it's the " LAW " in my state. When I ride in Arizona, the helmet stays in the trunk .

·
Registered
455 Posts
Disclaimer: Before I get 'flamed' about the topic, let me say that this is not a recommendation, nor a suggestion, not even a hint nor a whisper in support of OR in opposition to riding without a helmet. If you do or if you don't, that's your business and I cast no judgement or opinion on your decision.

Do you ever ride without a helmet? If so when, where, why, etc...

OR

Do you always ride with a helmet, I'd like to know that too... the reason seems obvious :)
After reading your post about 5 times I still don't understand why the need.
All you are attempting to do is pit those who do, against those who don't.
Kind of reminds me of an oil thread. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sometimes it is for a great reason or experience. Other times it is very simple. My wife, who has been riding with me on the wing now for a total of about 600 miles, wears the helmet (3/4 DOT-SNELL) because she has long hair and got tired of brushing/pulling her hair after each ride.

I bought my first bike (RM125) before I could shave and have owned several street bikes. I have been thrown/knocked off several times over the years. One time in particular, which was not my fault, was very bad. I am very sure I could not wipe my own xxx if I had not been wearing a helmet. I was making a slow (35mph) sweeping left turn when my chain broke (750 Gixer) and it got wrapped around the rear gear/wheel. Of course the rear end locked up in an instant and when I woke up I was laying in the middle of the street. The bike was about 20 feet from me on its side. For some reason this struck me as funny because as I got up I was laughing a lot. I picked the bike up and took off my helmet. I took a look at it and it had a large area that was cracked on a "spider" pattern.

Anyway, 90% of the time I wear the helmet....I know I should wear it 100% of the time, but alas, I'm not perfect yet - just ask my wife :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
same here in vt its law. n.h. does not have helmet law, been riding there wear my helmet. went on mt. washington on toll rd, didnt wear lid. stop and go traffic up the moutain. about 6400' to the top, nice views. ride safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife and I always wear a helmet.

When I am in a car I always wear the seat belt.

I read recently that vehicle fatalities are down to the same level they were in 1949. I am thinking that deaths still run about 100 a day on average, it was 117 four years ago.

Like it or not the reason for this is the safety features offered.

Personally, if I was in an accident and had to spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair with the taxpayers paying my expenses, I wouldn't feel very good about myself, especially if a helmet would have prevented it.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts