Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by my Heart Dr.I may need an Implantable Defibrillator put in, if there is anyone riding with one out there I would sure like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference is between a Pace Maker and a Defibrillator.
However I do have a friend that has a Pace Maker and he is still riding.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Hmmmm, I'd say that would be a bit risky if that defib were to hit you while riding! What did your doctor say about it? Or did you even tell him you ride?

Mark

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
While I have been in the operating room RN and for the last few years...before that I was a critical care nurse. I highly recommend you talk with your doctor. If your defibulator goes off you will lose control compounding you arrhythmia with a wreck. I would be very surprised if he said you can continue riding a bike with this implant. There is a big difference between a defibualtor and a pace maker. The pace maker does just that sends a signal to make up for your SA node where as a defibulator is correcting an arrhythmia...

My opinion and training strongly would be a no...Even in a car it can be problematic. should it go off could be bad...
I know the answer and it will not be what you want to hear. sorry...i even did a search implantable defibulators and riding a motorcycle..a lot of repsonses or hits none that I saw saying something different....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm, I'd say that would be a bit risky if that defib were to hit you while riding! What did your doctor say about it? Or did you even tell him you ride?

Mark
Doctor said I can do what ever I want, asked him about riding his feelings were ok with it. Not sure what to think. Fact is when I said what if it goes off while riding his reply was if I'm riding and need it and don't have it I'm in trouble anyway. Rhode 30,000 miles last year and not ready to give it up.. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I think if I were in your shoes I wouldn't think about myself alone, I would have to consider the danger it may pose for my passengers or other motorist. I realize you want to continue as if your OK, but the fact is your gambling with other peoples lives. Question is .... is it worth the risk of causing a catastrophic accident ? Jmho

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I have been in the operating room RN and for the last few years...before that I was a critical care nurse. I highly recommend you talk with your doctor. If your defibulator goes off you will lose control compounding you arrhythmia with a wreck. I would be very surprised if he said you can continue riding a bike with this implant. There is a big difference between a defibualtor and a pace maker. The pace maker does just that sends a signal to make up for your SA node where as a defibulator is correcting an arrhythmia...

My opinion and training strongly would be a no...Even in a car it can be problematic. should it go off could be bad...
I know the answer and it will not be what you want to hear. sorry...i even did a search implantable defibulators and riding a motorcycle..a lot of repsonses or hits none that I saw saying something different....
I am not getting this because I am having any problems at this time, I did have a major heart attack, work out 3 to 4 times a week Doctor says I fit into the area of those who could have a sudden heart attack from the previous damage, not telling me I have to have it recommending it. My heart ejection fraction is in the low 30's so he thinks its best.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Life Insurance -

Hey Johnnie, My uncle has had a defibrillator gizmo implanted in his chest for a few years without too many issues. It was installed primarily to resynchronize any missed heart beats but it can also take over for short periods if his heart begins to flutter. I saw what can happen one time in his living room - needless to say he is not a "rider of bikes"......

I am sure it will be quite a life style change and a very difficult adjustment to quit riding your Goldwing cold turkey. But personally I would at least look into something with more than two wheels under me.

Ride on if at all possible and good Luck, Michael :)

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
How can a person in this situation not think of others that can suffer from their decision to continue riding a motorcycle and even worse to drive a car. I wouldn't take kindly to someone endangering my life or the lives of my family because they are being selfish , thinking "OK I'll drive something bigger to reduce my chance of injury " .... smh

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How can a person in this situation not think of others that can suffer from their decision to continue riding a motorcycle and even worse to drive a car. I wouldn't take kindly to someone endangering my life or the lives of my family because they are being selfish , thinking "OK I'll drive something bigger to reduce my chance of injury " .... smh
Not looking to get chewed out over this asking questions so I can make the decision I need to make, if you read the other forms you would see that I am not being told I have to have it, it is recommended. A good number of riders I'm sure have had heart attacks and do not have this option because of a diffrent thinking doctor, or they do not have insurance to pay for it. So I would appreciate it if you would cool it. I do not need your opionions on something you do not have all the information on.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Not looking to get chewed out over this asking questions so I can make the decision I need to make, if you read the other forms you would see that I am not being told I have to have it, it is recommended. A good number of riders I'm sure have had heart attacks and do not have this option because of a diffrent thinking doctor, or they do not have insurance to pay for it. So I would appreciate it if you would cool it. I do not need your opionions on something you do not have all the information on.
My mother in-law has a defibrillator and we took her keys. Doctors don't suggest this procedure unless it is needed and I have worked as an E.M.T. and have some knowledge on the subject. That is my opinion based on all the post, not just yours !

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I am not getting this because I am having any problems at this time, I did have a major heart attack, work out 3 to 4 times a week Doctor says I fit into the area of those who could have a sudden heart attack from the previous damage, not telling me I have to have it recommending it. My heart ejection fraction is in the low 30's so he thinks its best.
Johnnie I recommend talking more with your doctor. I would think you could get a holter monitor to see if you are having any arrythmias over several days..ask him what he thinks...

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Maybe you should consider a moratorium on riding after having the surgery for a length of time sufficient to see whether you will have an event and if so, how it affects your abilility to function. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Johnnie1,

I have had a triple bypass May of 2011. I just had a treadmill stress test and full blown physical Tuesday, Wed of this last week. All checked out fine. But I see where the guys are coming from, a defibulator when it hits you, I have a buddy that has one and have watched him collapse like someone hit him with a sledge hammer. The guys here are concerned about your safety, as well as others. If I had one I would not want to be on a bike or driving a car if it went off.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Trying to stay as neutral as I can here, but I have to agree with most of what the rest have said. PLEASE consult your cardiologist before making any decision about ANY motor vehicle. The last thing any of us want is a tragic event involving either side.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Johnnie, ask your doctor, I have a pacemaker and I ride all the time, however, a pacemaker isn't a defibrillator. If your doctor says it's okay and your safe then I see no reason why you can not ride. In most cases your going to have warning signs before the defib goes off, you should be able to safely bring the bike to a stop before the defib activates.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
There is a huge difference in a heart attack and cardiac arrest, the latter needing a defibrillator simply because the heart stops without warning and you die without a defib & immediate intervention. A heart attack, most often, has warning signs. Get a second opinion if unsure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Johnnie I recommend talking more with your doctor. I would think you could get a holter monitor to see if you are having any arrythmias over several days..ask him what he thinks...
Thanks so much for your input, I have had the holter monitor no arrythmias. Talked with my reg Doctor and he won't come out and say I don't need it, but he gave me the impression he kinda had his doughts about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replys

Have had a lot to think about, and I want to thank all of you for your input, have had a portable monitor on and no arrythmias, another Doctor seems to have his doughts about it "which is good", getting another Doc's opionion next week.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Have had a lot to think about, and I want to thank all of you for your input, have had a portable monitor on and no arrythmias, another Doctor seems to have his doughts about it "which is good", getting another Doc's opionion next week.
Great...please let us know your decsion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts