Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Some co-workers and I are planning a 'mid-life crisis run' next June and are heading south (we live in Alaska) to buy motorcycles and ride them up the Alcan. We are planning on 2-3 weeks for the trip since we will be doing some sight seeing along the way.

Do any of you have advice for taking such a long trip? I've been riding bikes off and on most of my life so I am comfortable riding, but I've never taking more than day trips to this point.

I'm looking for advice on gear and riding mostly. We were planning on about 300 miles a day for a rough estimate. I've heard many people say heated vests and other clothing are essential, but some say it is not... Any opinions? Heated grips and a good CB are definitely on my list. What else should I not leave without?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Being A Former Resident Of The 'Great State Of Alaska' ... My Question Would Be ... Are You Planning On Buying New New Wings ??? ... If So I Would Also Plan Atleast A Few Days Of Riding Around The Purchase Area ... Just To Make Sure That There Aren't Any Bike Issues Before You Start Back ... You And I Know There Aren't Many Honda/repair Shops Within Several Hundred Miles ... I Would Also Recommend A Couple Cans Of Flat Fix ... Would Love To Ride Up With You But Alass I Can't ... I'm Sure Others Will Have Lots Of Info For You ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ron,

I'm not going to buy new...too much $$$! I'm looking for a gently used wing in the 1998-2002 range (something under $10,000) if possible. I have seen many for sale with over 100,000 miles so reliability shouldn't be too much of a concern if I get into one with 40,000-60,000 miles.

I'll definitely throw in a couple cans of fix a flat!

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts