Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just cannot turn down a good ride today. Riding my Wing--good outlaw music--Looking at the country-and good friends. It don't get much better 72 degrees--no wind and retired.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
West Texas

Be sure as you travel thru west Texas to connect Mentone and Orla on a ride. This is some kind of lonliness experience. Like riding through an Edward Hopper painting. When in Mentone be sure to stop in the County Court House and ask for a tour. They will tell you "help yourself". Im not kidding, you see a man is his word in those parts. Loving county, Texas is the least populated county in the United States, so far as i know. All 61 of the countys residents are happy and friendly. Of course once given this trust, you will be on your best behavior etc, etc.

Now, pay attention. As you roam around looking at stuff you will see a 3' x 3' map county map on the wall with many, many little black dots. It looks like a map with black measles. Do NOT look at this map more than a few seconds or so or else you will note every one in the building, work stopped, silent, looking hard at YOU! As soon as you look away, the work resumes, smiles return and the happy office clatter resumes. Most things is polite but looking at the measle map ain't considered good manners. There you have it, in a nutshell.

There is one resturant in town and the lady, owner, waitress, bottle washer is a wealth of information on Loving County, Mentone and the 61 residents. Its a nice ride but do not run out of gas or have a flat. Peace, I hope you enjoy it, I did.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Tacobender...if your riding in Texas and listening to outlaw music it has to include some Waylon & Willie right;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Matt, you are correct. Waylon Willie David Allen Cole. I am guilty of 70's rock also. Hey Bill since I live in west texas I get to enjoy those lonesome back roads. I guess I am getting old but I like the open space and very few people. The cell phone makes you feel better in case you have trouble.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hey Bill since I live in west texas I get to enjoy those lonesome back roads. I guess I am getting old but I like the open space and very few people.
Me too taco, when you ride thru Orla stop in the only store and visit the lady there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well It happened again yesterday--70 degrees and no wind--could not resist--200 mile ride with 3 friends--It was a great day and to get it in because bad weather starts again Sunday--West texas weather just wait a few hrs and it will change.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi again taco

A few years ago 2 of us rode Tucson - Chisos mountain lodge in Big Bend park. While in the park (1st week of April) the temp was exactly 100 at the park store right on the Rio Grande. We rode to the lodge for the night. Next morning about 7 am I awoke and walked outside - it was 36F!! True story, yes I saw my breath and it never got above 41F with 30mph cross wind all the way to Deming.

Why can I recall this ride after 6 years? because it was raw, rough and challenging. Ride now, ride someplace and dont stop becaue of a little hinderance. Enjoy the day!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill, I know the feeling!! Two years ago in March I was at Study Butte[at the entrance of B/Bend on the west side. We stayed up alittle late shooting the bull about our days ride. It was 92 degrees at 10pm and the next morning it was 36 and 50 mph gusts. We rode 400 miles back home and nearly froze. Being retired I didn't have to but everybody else had to work so I rode anyway-----Next time---HELL NO!!!! HAHA

·
Registered
691 Posts
Taco
Give me a shout next time you will be near Bandera. I have some shorter local ride you may like such as PR 37, Bump Gate road and English crossing. When you link these up you can ride to Helotis from Bandera. I rode Thhe Sisters" on that warm 70 deg day. There is a group that rides from Kerville on Thursdays.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot, I don't know when I will get to come down. When it gets this time of year my wife starts talking Motorhome and the West--HAHA--May be fall before I get to come but we will see. Thanks alot and I will let you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts