Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently went on a trip with my GW that I have owned almost 2 years. I was with a friend on his HD limited. He was riding darkside. We were traveling from West Texas towards Kerrville. The winds were about 25mph with "continual" gusts up into the 40's pushing directly into the side of the bikes. I was constantly being pushed over into the other lane when hit from the side while the HD was in straight line.
I have read various articles about this before and after the fact, but being pushed into the next lane amongst traffic passing is not my idea of fun. The solid body of the GW caught air like a kite and was pushed over to next lane numerous (>30) times. Mesquite trees along the west roadline became my friends very quickly.
I have heard to loosen your grip, create a lower profile, get a belly pan, etc, but when pushed in the path of a semi against your will?
Seems there is a serious design flaw in the streamline body of the GW that does not allow wind to push through compared to the HD. The only thing that semi-helped was to lower the suspension and low profile. Any other people having had this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Recently went on a trip with my GW that I have owned almost 2 years. I was with a friend on his HD limited. He was riding darkside. We were traveling from West Texas towards Kerrville. The winds were about 25mph with "continual" gusts up into the 40's pushing directly into the side of the bikes. I was constantly being pushed over into the other lane when hit from the side while the HD was in straight line.
I have read various articles about this before and after the fact, but being pushed into the next lane amongst traffic passing is not my idea of fun. The solid body of the GW caught air like a kite and was pushed over to next lane numerous (>30) times. Mesquite trees along the west roadline became my friends very quickly.
I have heard to loosen your grip, create a lower profile, get a belly pan, etc, but when pushed in the path of a semi against your will?
Seems there is a serious design flaw in the streamline body of the GW that does not allow wind to push through compared to the HD. The only thing that semi-helped was to lower the suspension and low profile. Any other people having had this problem?
welcome to GWOF from Maryland,
i noticed this my self , but one thing i did was when its very windy i lower my speed and that helped a lot

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Wings are actually wind tunnel tested for airflow. It's the solid bodywork that creates the side push. It will never go away due to the solidity of the design.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
A " car tire " cant hurt, have one myself. The larger footprint on the rear can only add to cross wind stability. Go Darkside.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
A " car tire " cant hurt, have one myself. The larger footprint on the rear can only add to cross wind stability. Go Darkside.
Good luck finding someone to do it

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Try riding with one hand in high wind gusts. This was shared with me by a veteran rider. We have a tendency to get a death grip in high winds and stiffen up making for erratic reactions and therefore find ourselves all over the road. Loosen up in the hips and try it with one hand and be more flexible and less rigid as the wind moves around you. It's a bit un-nerving at first as you think you need both hands to control the bike. Try it and see how it works for you and come back here and let us know how it works for you.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I’ve ridden in similar conditions. The winds were 90 degrees on and around 30 with higher gusts. While it pushed me around some it never made me change lanes. I did ride the windward track and kept a steady push on the grip upwind. It was hard to keep myself from tensing up but I think that helped. That is just what worked for me. I think the more you ride it you come to expect what it will do. Sorry, no car tire here, but I do have a belly pan.

My Yamaha is a big cruiser but more of the “Harley” profile. It too gets pushed around but I haven’t been out in that high of winds with it to be a fair comparison.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
The MASS of a Wing is a friend in such winds, but you do have to slow down a little to let it work for you. Beats having the wind drag/buffeting of an HD the 99.9% rest of the time. Just drove a Fat Boy and Road King last weekend and they're fun machines, but simply not the same TYPE of machine as a GW. The design/engineering intent of the two was quite different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the experience. This un-nerved me in several instances with people passing me. I have been riding for about 5 years, but with winds that push you solid into the next lane, holding the bars with a single hand does not sound like the right thing to do. I also have a belly pan already installed and trying 60-75mph. I have ridden a Vulcan 900 which is much lighter and not been pushed around into another lane. When it happened, you are already at a slant from steady winds. Getting back into the other lane is no problem with 1 or 2 hands.
Guess the next time it happens and the wind comes at 1500 position, you just find a different route and ride another 50 miles out of the way. Just seems that this would have been addressed in the design as long as GW has been out.
As far as darksiding goes, I love the feel of cornering expecially on the wing. I am sure that helped the HD steady up along with airflow through the body of the bike. Funny thing is with winds at 12-2 position, the HD had more of a problem than the GW.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We've had our share of bad crosswinds. Here in Ohio, have the Sandusky Bay bridge on Rt.2 going over Sandusky Bay off of Lake Erie. Most of it is low to the water but does rise up for boat traffic and comes back down near the water level. Wife and I got caught in a thunderstorm, raining like no tomorrow, wind blowing across the water so hard we were leaning almost 45 degree angle, thrown between two lanes and hoping the wind didn't let up otherwise we'd be in the bay! The cars behind us were nice enough to give us plenty of room to battle those crosswinds by staying well back and not trying to pass.

After that little experience, it was a little nerve racking going over some of the bridges to get to Key West with a stiff breeze.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts