Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a number of great riding locations in S. Oregon, the ride from Medford to Crater Lake on hwy 62 is very nice, however this time of the year it can be very cold, there is still about 12' of snow at Crater Lake.

The ride from Medford to the coast is awesome, down hwy 199 throught the Smith River canyon can be challenging, depending on the traffic. When you exit the canyon at Hiouchi, CA. it's a nice ride throught the Redwoods into Crescent City, then north on hwy 101 and up the Pacific Coast hwy. The Pacific Coast hwy is a ride that most riders in Oregon do at least twice a year, its breath taking to say the least. Oregon has some of the most rugged coast line on the west coast. The ride up the coast on hwy 101 can take an entire weekend depending on where you choose to exist, the entire route will take you through the Oregon coast and into Washington exiting out at Seattle. It's a ride worth taking.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Know what you mean Terryj. Wife and I explored that area in '91 and really had a great time. There's a real twisty road from Crescent City to Redding, only covered about 250 miles, but took us 'till mid afternoon to get there. Had Harriette (Yogi's gal) use our tent trailer for a rubbing post in the middle of the night at a park near the Oregon border Hit terrible construction south of Klamouth Falls, 2.5 hours waiting in the blistering heat, and no water in the cooler (only beer, go figure). Great trip though, right up until we crossed the Alberta border and then into a fall snowstorm.:eek: Nice welcome home eh?

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
Thanks for the information. All that is on my bucket list but it will probably have to wait for retirement. That way I'll have plenty of time to explore.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Love the Coast

We'll have to get together one of these times I get over there to ride the coast. The last time I was on top of Crater Lake, 4th of July 1978, it was snowing on us. I had my '77 Wing then. Memories, memories...:)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nightwing, I hear you about the snow at Crater Lake, the last time I rode up that way I was snowed on also. It was a nice ride though.

Dudoka, I think the road your refering to is CA hwy 299, that is an awsome ride up the over to Redding. Another route is CA Hwy 96 from Willow Creek, Ca to Yreka, Ca along the Klamath River, this is a ride worth doing. I've taken that route down I-5 to Yreka then hwy 96 to Willow Creek, 299 to the Coast and up 101 back into Oregon, it's a week-end ride, the whole route takes about 9 hours if you don't stop for any length of time, but we like to stop and enjoy the sights along the way, so we make a week-end out of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts