Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering with the demise of GWRRA if there is going to be more rides and meetups generated via the forums. The chapter I "am" meeting with still hasn't had any real interest in putting together rides for over 2 years now. I led 5 or 6 rides last year for them, but the new chapter director wanted the road captain members to only lead the rides this year. Yea, that worked out just peachy. 3 rides the whole season and 2 were 5-6 day long trips. I did renew my hook up with a meetup.com group I joined way back in 2004 and I have been riding and leading rides with them. NINE rides in just the last 3+ months! The situation with this group is they sure slow me down LOL.

I'm about 25 miles north of Philadelphia and about 25 miles south of Allentown.

It would be nice to get a regular riding season group going. I'm retired now and enjoy mid-week and Saturday rides. I have upgraded my audio connectivity. About a month ago I purchased a Sena 50s followed up with the purchase of the Sena Freewire. The meetup group led me in that direction. WOW, I am loving it. I can now ride my Vulcan with a Garmin Zumo 660 way more often - I have my music mp3 files to entertain me as I ride. I got the Freewire installed on the Wing so I have the CB and the MP3 player I got to replaced my failed CD player. I also link to the Garmin Zumo 595LM I have on the wing. Would be nice to meetup with a fellow winger who has a similar arrangement to get a few of the issues ironed out. I still haven't tested or even know if I have my phone connected - don't need it for really anything since I am so used to the Garmin and MP3 player with my favorite songs anyway.

So if some of the group would like to get riding more often - reach out. Dan

·
Administrator
29,490 Posts
Sounds like you are around the Lansdale area to me Dan.

Hopefully you can find some folks to ride with.

You can always put together Meet & Greet for some riding here on the GWOF and folks can come to you.

You could always incorporate the Amish country, that is of interest to many or do a Delware River area one. Like New Hope, then make your way North up past Easton. That area has not be done here at the GWOF.

We did a M&G a few years back of Covered Bridges up in Schuylkill and Columbia County that was a huge success. There are plenty of those down in both of those areas.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm in the Lansdale area - a few miles north but only about 15 minutes. I'm up for a M&G by all means. Just putting it out there. Just posting a M&G and then getting comments - I can't make that day but. . . is what I'm looking to overcome. I'm thinking if a group respond, get a thread going of the best day that works for the majority, and find a location that is convenient to the majority can work for all interested.

Like I posted, I am riding with a meetup.com group but that is hit or miss for a "regular" group getting together. I'm acclimated to the "GWRRA" original concept. When I originally joined in 2004 right after getting my Wing, the group was pretty active in riding and getting together. There have been maybe 4 or 5 of the meetup group that have been on multiple rides. The average on the rides has been about 9 riders. So a lot of interest on a ride but not a continual participation.

I have a couple of rides on that schedule and group has improved with more of the group that have ridden joining in. I guess I'm looking for a more "stable" riding group where I am joining in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm wondering with the demise of GWRRA if there is going to be more rides and meetups generated via the forums. The chapter I "am" meeting with still hasn't had any real interest in putting together rides for over 2 years now. I led 5 or 6 rides last year for them, but the new chapter director wanted the road captain members to only lead the rides this year. Yea, that worked out just peachy. 3 rides the whole season and 2 were 5-6 day long trips. I did renew my hook up with a meetup.com group I joined way back in 2004 and I have been riding and leading rides with them. NINE rides in just the last 3+ months! The situation with this group is they sure slow me down LOL.

It would be nice to get a regular riding season group going. I'm retired now and enjoy mid-week and Saturday rides. I have upgraded my audio connectivity. About a month ago I purchased a Sena 50s followed up with the purchase of the Sena Freewire. The meetup group led me in that direction. WOW, I am loving it. I can now ride my Vulcan with a Garmin Zumo 660 way more often - I have my music mp3 files to entertain me as I ride. I got the Freewire installed on the Wing so I have the CB and the MP3 player I got to replaced my failed CD player. I also link to the Garmin Zumo 595LM I have on the wing. Would be nice to meetup with a fellow winger who has a similar arrangement to get a few of the issues ironed out. I still haven't tested or even know if I have my phone connected - don't need it for really anything since I am so used to the Garmin and MP3 player with my favorite songs anyway.

We may be Re-locating back that way next year- I’ll have to keep u in mind if we do-

·
Administrator
29,490 Posts
Well, I would say if you are more comfortable with that "meetup" group strategy you may likely not be successful.

Here at the GWOF the regular posting of a Meet and Greet is not only what most members are use to, but really what works best.

Of course you will always have the folks who will chime in that they can't make it, also those that have to back out, and some that will hijack and just have some banter. It is something that happens.

If that really doesn't work with your intention I wish you luck finding connections.

I also encourage to look in the "Recent Rides/Experiences" subforum and read some of the past M&G organizational threads, before you rule it out. We have had several that have had 30-40 people, and as many as 20-30 bikes.

Also our M&G's usually consist of 2-4 days. Like weekends or holiday long weekends.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
Not currently a rider, but the Meet & Greets that I have been to on this forum are the best memories that the Goldwing made possible. It all started in 2010 with a meet-up with our Moderator fossil 92. I've been in Pennsylvania more times than any other state. The participants grew annually. One year a rider and his wife and dog came from Utah. Yes, it was usually just one long weekend a year Meet & Greet because of the distance of others. One great party a year is enough. The rest were day rides with members from Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc. Plenty of those happened regularly.

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
I agree with what @Chopin said. I met some local folks while at the Meet and Greet and now we do some lunch rides. Some are retired so we just propose a ride and those that can make it have a great time. Usually centers around a lunch location and some catching up conversation. It isn’t a regular thing due to schedules.

Sponsor a M&G and you might find some like minded locals to do what you are looking to do.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hey Dan, I used to liv

Hey Dan I used to live in Downingtown and my office was in Montgomeryville. I certainly would have enjoyed riding with you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with what @Chopin said. I met some local folks while at the Meet and Greet and now we do some lunch rides. Some are retired so we just propose a ride and those that can make it have a great time. Usually centers around a lunch location and some catching up conversation. It isn’t a regular thing due to schedules.

Sponsor a M&G and you might find some like minded locals to do what you are looking to do.

Steve
I would love to address a Meet & Greet opportunity. But if local forum members aren't responding to this thread, what success would such a function obtain to leading to more rides in the area with fellow Wing owners?

I didn't join GWRRA in 2004 to take seminars. I didn't join to have someplace to go to breakfast once a month. I did join to learn better techniques of riding WHILE riding from other more experienced Wing owners. I did join to enjoy sharing rides on the backroads and beautiful scenery. Thank you ReneeRidesAwing - hope you find your relocation successful.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Not currently a rider, but the Meet & Greets that I have been to on this forum are the best memories that the Goldwing made possible. It all started in 2010 with a meet-up with our Moderator fossil 92. I've been in Pennsylvania more times than any other state. The participants grew annually. One year a rider and his wife and dog came from Utah. Yes, it was usually just one long weekend a year Meet & Greet because of the distance of others. One great party a year is enough. The rest were day rides with members from Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc. Plenty of those happened regularly.
It was a great time Lee! Getting to know you and Ed and everyone else. It was our first M&G and our first cross country trip. Picking up @Madrissian from the hospial after laying his bike down was all part of it. PoPo (our dog) graduated from the box to the back seat and he enjoyed riding a whole lot more. He passed late last year. Still a huge hole in my heart. We really enjoyed ourselves and I hope we can do more in the years to come.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Hi Dan, I'm from Michigan and attended the meet and greet in Banner Elk, NC that Chop[n referred to and would seriously consider going to one in PA if one got set up.

As for doing group rides on a more regular basis take a look at your local "Christian Motorcycle Association" (CMA). The one near me does a ride every Tuesday evening from May thru Sept. not all Goldwing's but a bunch of good people who like bikes of all makes,

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Dan, I'm from Michigan and attended the meet and greet in Banner Elk, NC that Chop[n referred to and would seriously consider going to one in PA if one got set up.

As for doing group rides on a more regular basis take a look at your local "Christian Motorcycle Association" (CMA). The one near me does a ride every Tuesday evening from May thru Sept. not all Goldwing's but a bunch of good people who like bikes of all makes,
I do have a contact(s) with the CMA group from my church in the area. They have invited me to breakfast.

I have a group I'm riding with - in fact we're doing a ride tomorrow (Saturday) up to Penn's Peak to have a lunch at Roadies restaurant. It's a mixture of different bikes also. They tend to hold me back LOL. I have found the Wing riders who use to jump at the chance to do a ride were able to handle the curves, twisties, and switchbacks a lot better than these riders do.

I am leading rides with more and more of them on a consistent basis, they are starting to pick up the speed on the backroads. The process is slow but improving. The group does have younger riders (I guess being 70 now, 40's is younger LOL). My thoughts for starting this thread with GWRRA closed down, that the forums would have riders that were members and rode regularly they might use another medium to find riders who want to ride.

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
if you put a M&G together next year i'll be back in PA !! the thing with a M&G is folks ride in from different states to ride with you for a few days otherwise i'll plan another trip to the flight 93 memorial next year

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m in Coatesville, PA. Would consider a M&G if I saw it posted!👍🏻
Your in my back yard :cool:.

The chapter is planning a ride on Saturday to September Farm in Honey Brook Pa after the chapter meeting at the Blue Comet Motorcycle Club in Skippack.

·
Administrator
29,490 Posts
There you go Dan. There's 3 guys that expressed interest. I can tell you from experience, as a person who organized several you will meet some great people.

On another note, if you need some guidance on planning let me know, as I said I (and my wife) planned several.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There you go Dan. There's 3 guys that expressed interest. I can tell you from experience, as a person who organized several you will meet some great people.

On another note, if you need some guidance on planning let me know, as I said I (and my wife) planned several.
Thanks for the offer. I'll reach out when I have a plan. Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts