Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a Concours for several years now and have recently purchased a 2010 Goldwing (3 weeks and about 1,700 miles ago).

The differences in riding a sport tourer versus a full blown tourer surprised me. The Goldwing was much harder for me to handle than the Concours at slow turning speeds. The steering of the Goldwing takes very little effort and the seated position just feels strange. The Connie requires more effort for a turn as it is much stiffer, but I am used to that and it feels natural along with the sport peg location. I also feel like my feet are too close to the pavement in curves on the Goldwing, but nothing is scraping. ;)

Balancing the bikes at a stop light for a second or so is also harder on the Goldwing than the Connie. I can hold balance on the Connie for 1-2 seconds at full stop, but can't even balance the Goldwing for a second.

Overall I like the Goldwing and the way it performs. I know it is a matter of me getting used to sitting in a different position, and possibly a change in technique in slow turns. I've seen riders who are incredible slow speed riders on the Goldwing so it isn't the bike, but my experience level with it. The only real issue I have with the Goldwing is the throttle at slow speeds - it seems to stick/release off of dead throttle which causes a surge in speed on right hand parking lot manuevering.

Oh yeah, I still have the Concours and probably will until it won't go anymore. Great bike for what it is designed for.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
You have reiterated many of my first impressions I stated here back in November as I came off a 1300VTX. 6,000 miles later and I feel comfortable enough to say that this bike handles slow speed maneuvers better than the VTX. 4,300 miles ago I was sure this bike was going to fall over on me while negotiating a busy parking lot. I know what you mean about the throttle response. When my mechanic rode my bike into the bay the first thing he did was tweak the throttle adjustment and then he worked on the issue I brought it in for. That little improvement made a big difference in the slow speed turns. I must say, however, that a bit of that dead response moment has resurfaced and it makes me wonder if a little cable lube is not needed.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i went from a 1200 wing to a 1500 wing, even they feel different

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Thanks for your riding impressions.. Two different bikes designed to do different things. Although the Wing can be sportie, it's not the same as the Concours. Enjoy both bikes for what they are and ride safe...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Join up with a Goldwing group, GWRRA has a good rider ed program and try will help you through any handling problems that you may need help with. Also there are dvd's out that help with slow speed handling of big bikes. Once you get the feel of the bike and the proper training, slow speed maneuvers become easier. GWRRA has what they call the Top Gun competition. Watching the competition tends to wow people when they see these riders scraping highway boards in tight circles (16-18') at slow speeds and taking pride in this. A slow ride in a straight line and other skills are all included in the competition and at the national level, it's a very close competition. You would be amazed on what can be done on a Goldwing!

·
Registered
449 Posts
At the better half's request we bought a wing last August. I still have the ZZR1200 sport tour and it is an awsome machine if you want to teach the wind how to fly as they say. Same issues, foot position and those wide wide handelbars, etc. Love the Wing. Check out a video called "Ride Like A Pro V" by Jerry Palidino. Follow his police motor techniques with about 4 hours parking lot practice and your "skill" will increase by about 100%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips and I will probably get the video first and see what it has to offer to get me started. I think working with a person after that would be beneficial. I've seen some pretty amazing riding so I know it can be done, but knowing and doing are a bit different sometimes. ;)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I thought I would notice 'growing pains' after selling the ST and going back to the Wing...nada. But then I didn't have any adjustment problems after riding my Vulcan for 10 years and jumping on the ST. All I really noticed with the GL was a slight performance drop under real heavy breaking, something I didn't want to be unprepared for on the open road so I tested it real well. It could be since I'd spent so many miles on Goldwings earlier in my life, but still it had been 16 years. Granted the Connie14 has a much raunchier engine than the ST, but it's still a sport tourer so I expected more than just a brief learning curve. Just lucky I guess. You'll do fine with a little practice work, especially low speed and tight turns. Do some work on uneven ground too, that can be pretty disconcerting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts